Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119884

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #270 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:25 PM
Hello again.

Not my intent to highjack this thread, but I'm not allowed to send PM's yet.

How about an updated version of the removable bit driver..?

Here's the old one flanked by my trusty old workhorse.
A 1:st gen Surge with tools from a Core.

Such an adapter might fit all the Free models (P, T & K) and not void any warranties.  :D
Nice Surge  :tu:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #271 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:26 PM
Such an adapter might fit all the Free models (P, T & K) and not void any warranties.  :D

This was actually my first idea for the FREE series. I even ordered that bit adapter to see if it would work on the FREE Philips driver with an easy mod or shims.
I haven't revisited the idea though, I will take another look. The catch though is that they use a spring clip or a spring-loaded ball (I forget which) as a retainer for the bits. I could use magnets to retain the bits, or some side grips like the flat bit holder.

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #272 on: January 14, 2020, 09:41:32 PM
:iagree: :like:

Now for being able to finally lay my hands on a Universal Tool Adapter over here. Rarer than hens' teeth... ::)
Welcome to :MTO: fooze :cheers:

I also have found it difficult to find the Universal Adapter here in the States as well :ahhh :facepalm: Hopefully we can both find one, DT :tu:

I don’t mean to sound condescending, but have y’all checked eBay?

I just popped over to search “Leatherman universal tool adapter” and boom.

Lots of listings.

Some even come with a cool case, a leather holster, and even a Leatherman multitool!!!

The variety is mixed, but I’ve seen some listed with SuperTools, Waves, Rebars, Surges, etc...and some are vintage models!

Anywho...worth a shot!

Many of them seemed to be in the US, but I caught one or two that had €Euros listed as the currency...

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #273 on: January 14, 2020, 09:56:59 PM
The problem with ebay auctions in the US is that the ebay policy tends to exclude shipping to Europe for anything to do with multitools and knives...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #274 on: January 15, 2020, 11:52:22 AM

I don’t mean to sound condescending, but have y’all checked eBay?

I just popped over to search “Leatherman universal tool adapter” and boom.

Lots of listings.

Some even come with a cool case, a leather holster, and even a Leatherman multitool!!!

The variety is mixed, but I’ve seen some listed with SuperTools, Waves, Rebars, Surges, etc...and some are vintage models!

Anywho...worth a shot!

Many of them seemed to be in the US, but I caught one or two that had €Euros listed as the currency...

I guess I should correct my statement :whistle: I find it difficult to find one for the price I am willing or able to pay :salute: :D Lots of time they say universal and end up being the standard adapter as well :salute:

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #275 on: January 16, 2020, 12:14:29 AM
I guess I should correct my statement :whistle: I find it difficult to find one for the price I am willing or able to pay :salute: :D Lots of time they say universal and end up being the standard adapter as well :salute:
Wait...there’s a “standard” adapter, as well as a universal adapter?

I just bought one on eBay...hope it arrives.

I also hope, that this is the one that will fit my Free P4...as pictured above!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #276 on: January 16, 2020, 01:15:01 AM
Very nice...I think I saw 2 on the eBay - one kinda affordable and the other was at $100 IIRC
Your’s looks great!  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #277 on: January 16, 2020, 01:18:36 AM
Wait...there’s a “standard” adapter, as well as a universal adapter?

I just bought one on eBay...hope it arrives.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I also hope, that this is the one that will fit my Free P4...as pictured above!

Yours is the original adapter not the universal one.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #278 on: January 16, 2020, 03:14:11 AM

For the third time I recorded a video on how to remove the glued thumb tabs. This time I tested the audio with a test clip, but it still cut out after about a minute. I'll figure out why somehow.
So this is my first crack at trying to narrate, which I hate doing.

The good news is that I have validated three times over that both the acetone and heat-gun methods work at removing super-glued thumb tabs from the blades. Other than a bit of color loss on the acetone method, there is no damage to the actual thumb tabs. If you were fearful of gluing something to your precious multitool, don't worry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #279 on: January 17, 2020, 04:37:46 AM

:iagree: The Universal is one that I can never find for a decent price :facepalm: but I have 2 of the Standard one :dunno: :D

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #280 on: January 17, 2020, 06:48:09 AM

:iagree: The Universal is one that I can never find for a decent price :facepalm: but I have 2 of the Standard one :dunno: :D
Hang on...so what’s the difference, other than in name (obviously)...?

The Universal’s name seems self explanatory...

But what is the Standard?

That’s the one I bought?

I’m guessing it will only fit specific models?

———————————

EDIT:
Ok, I’ve done quite a bit of web-sleuthing since I posted this.

I’ve found that the one I bought on eBay is the Original/Standard.

So...that one Universal model on eBay?

Should be here in the next two weeks.

I couldn’t help myself.

I DID find a good picture of an OG adapter that someone had modified to “work” universally, but did not watch the YouTube video it came from.

So, now, it seems I’ll have one of each.

I’m hoping the Universal one will fit in the caddy of the OG one...I’d really like to carry it in that caddy.

Anyway...just figured I’d edit/update my earlier post (which probably wasn’t even seen by many, if any).

Thanks a lot, to the group.

Y’all have had me spending more money on stuff than I ever planned on!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:50:21 AM by hbcorpse »

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #281 on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:26 AM
Hello again.

Not my intent to highjack this thread, but I'm not allowed to send PM's yet.

Here's the old one flanked by my trusty old workhorse.
A 1:st gen Surge with tools from a Core.

This was actually my first idea for the FREE series. I even ordered that bit adapter to see if it would work on the FREE Philips driver with an easy mod or shims.
I haven't revisited the idea though, I will take another look. The catch though is that they use a spring clip or a spring-loaded ball (I forget which) as a retainer for the bits. I could use magnets to retain the bits, or some side grips like the flat bit holder.

I came across this picture...says it’s a 1/4” socket, and is friction fit on there, with the Phillips head and Prybar tools in use.

No further info.

Thanks Reddit!

Seems like a good work-around.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #282 on: January 17, 2020, 12:01:39 PM
Hang on...so what’s the difference, other than in name (obviously)...?

The Universal’s name seems self explanatory...

But what is the Standard?

That’s the one I bought?

I’m guessing it will only fit specific models?

———————————

EDIT:
Ok, I’ve done quite a bit of web-sleuthing since I posted this.

I’ve found that the one I bought on eBay is the Original/Standard.

So...that one Universal model on eBay?

Should be here in the next two weeks.

I couldn’t help myself.

I DID find a good picture of an OG adapter that someone had modified to “work” universally, but did not watch the YouTube video it came from.

(Image removed from quote.)

So, now, it seems I’ll have one of each.

I’m hoping the Universal one will fit in the caddy of the OG one...I’d really like to carry it in that caddy.

Anyway...just figured I’d edit/update my earlier post (which probably wasn’t even seen by many, if any).

Thanks a lot, to the group.

Y’all have had me spending more money on stuff than I ever planned on!

Yep that little tab is about the main difference that I can find with the 2 different models (and I guess those 2 rivets as well :think: ) :salute: Glad we can help you spend your money :hatsoff:

:rofl:

Excited for you that you have a Universal one on the way :like:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #283 on: January 18, 2020, 10:18:27 PM

Well I received prototype #3 for the T-Shank holder. I made a video showing all the things i did to the prototype.

The good news is that when deployed the T-Shank blade is held rock solid. Granted I had to do lots of careful grinding, This was annoying since I used the same "perfect fit" profile as Rev 2.

The set-screws work great to hold the different thicknesses of blades, however they also push the two halves apart. Effectively jamming the T-shank when closed.
The dove-tail feature works to limit the distance, but the small (0.2mm) of tolerance I had between the surfaces, combined with the shrinkage of the sintered part amplifies the effect.

A secondary effect of this is that the blade end up a bit too close to the pliers when closed, so it doesn't close one-handed, you have to push the blade out of the way first.

I am going to live with the prototype for a while, I think I have to figure out how to change from a expansion method, to a clamping method to hold the different blade thicknesses. I have a few ideas on that brewing.
So not ready for prime time yet, but its getting there.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #284 on: January 18, 2020, 10:45:05 PM
Looking good so far :like: can't wait til you get the kinks worked out with different blade thicknesses  :salute: :popcorn:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #285 on: January 18, 2020, 11:13:23 PM
 :iagree:  :cheers:

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #286 on: January 20, 2020, 04:17:33 AM
Really (not) looking forward to when LM “steals” your ideas and implements these in a future Free P4 design...

I’d rather carry your innovations on my belt, but let’s face it...you’ve given them a HUGE head start in creating their own versions of these mods.

But, then again, who’s to say they didn’t run through their own iterations of these components, and decide against them for some reason(s)?

After all, whether they’re the end-all-be-all of multitools or not, they’ve got a lot of brain power behind the decision(s) to make things the way they do.

In then, as I said, I’d rather carry a ZapWizard modded tool on my belt, as I really believe in your work and your scientific approach to completing these ideas.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #287 on: January 21, 2020, 03:52:20 AM
@hbcorpse, I appreciate the nice words. I hope they come to me first. I do bed they had a few unfinished ideas on the table for the FREE series. They can do quite a bit considering the simpler locking mechanism.

----------------------

I have worked out a clamping design. The screws are off to the side, but the whole assembly is so small it hopefully will end up working to hold the T-Shank securely.
The two M2 screws, with a tensile strength of 170,000 psi. If I did my math right: That is around 530lbs of tensile strength per screw.  :o
The 60% 420SS / 40% Bronze composite has a yield strength of 62 ksi, so it will probably fail before the screws does, but there should be more than enough strength to clamp a blade.
I added four tiny dots to the inside of the clamp, as well as a small arc. These hopefully will increase local pressure on the blade.

You can change thin blades on this without removing the screws entirely, but thick blades will probably require full disassembly.

I will think on this design for a bit before ordering a prototype. I appreciate the input from the folks here.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #288 on: January 21, 2020, 07:44:57 AM
 :like:

Clever idea to use the thumb space for the screws :tu:

I'm a bit of two minds over this: this will work nicely and should be very stable, but it's a pity you need another tool for blade replacement - even if the Allen key (2mm too, right?) is nicely integrated, you might lose it. On a MT it would still be preferable not to have to use separate tools... the dovetail construction on your other variant looked promising but I can imagine that 3D printing will not bring the required precision fit unless you allow for extra material and expect the user to finish the fit.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #289 on: January 23, 2020, 04:52:56 AM
Ok all...

The Standard and Universal Tool Adapters showed up!

As discussed, the Standard does not fit in any of my devices...Surge, Wave+, Free P4...yes that’s all I have! Don’t judge my teensy collection! At least I’ve got more UTA’s than you! Hahaha I’m kidding.

Anywho...I can now start working on designs for my EDC holster.

Plan is to carry:
- Free P4 (modded with ZW flat bit adapter)
- UTA
- bit extender
- flat bit set
- mini Craftsman ratchet
- Streamlight Micro-USB
- firestarter tool

I will keep y’all updated as things (SLOOOWLY) progress...

Oh yeah...I craft leather goods. Forgot I hadn’t mentioned that.

- - - -

Now I’ve got a bug in my ear telling me I need a Crunch...and many reasons why I should have it.

Anyone here have one?

Also, for those of you who have been collecting LM gear the longest...what are the odds they release some new-tangled version of the Crunch, since the Free P4 has sorta launched a new generation of LM multitools...?

I know that’s like trying to guess how many jelly beans are in a jar, but I just figured I wouldn’t want to buy a current generation Crunch, and get an email about the new version tomorrow...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:58:50 AM by hbcorpse »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #290 on: January 23, 2020, 05:21:56 AM
I carried a Crunch for years, loved it...gifted it to my son and when I bought him a Signal - his choice - he gifted the Crunch to my grandson!
Wspeed carries a Crunch so he will be chiming in a couple of hours  :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #291 on: January 23, 2020, 12:15:18 PM
I have a Crunch as well :cheers: along with a few others here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10261.0.html :whistle: ;)

Can't wait to hear and see what all mods you do, hb :tu: Those are some great tools that you have as well :like:

Also post some pics of the 2 different adapters if you have time :cheers:

Offline jorritvS

Reply #292 on: January 23, 2020, 09:36:54 PM

I know that’s like trying to guess how many jelly beans are in a jar, but I just figured I wouldn’t want to buy a current generation Crunch, and get an email about the new version tomorrow...

The crunch is beautifully designed and still does it job how it is supposed to. And it isn't a tool usable for everyone. I would like it a lot but I'm afraid a new crunch won't happen.

You could ask Megan. She is at SHOT show and there should be some people from Leatherman there. Maybe she can get something out of them. (crunch clamped on their fingers and slowly tighten it maybe? Just an idea)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #293 on: January 24, 2020, 05:42:38 AM

Thank you all for your responses!

I carried a Crunch for years, loved it...gifted it to my son and when I bought him a Signal - his choice - he gifted the Crunch to my grandson!
Wspeed carries a Crunch so he will be chiming in a couple of hours  :hatsoff:

So awesome to see LM tools (and tools in general) being passed down through generations!

I’ll keep an eye out for Wspeed’s answer!

I have a Crunch as well :cheers: along with a few others here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10261.0.html :whistle: ;)

Can't wait to hear and see what all mods you do, hb :tu: Those are some great tools that you have as well :like:

Also post some pics of the 2 different adapters if you have time :cheers:

As far as mods to my P4, I think I’m all set with the FlatBit addition, as that’s the biggest thing I was missing from using my Wave+.

However, I’m sure ZapWizard is NOT done yet, and I know LM isn’t done making tools yet...so we shall see!

I’ll gets some pics of my holster when I start building it (and along the ways).

And I will get y’all some pictures of the different adapters, side by side!

The crunch is beautifully designed and still does it job how it is supposed to. And it isn't a tool usable for everyone. I would like it a lot but I'm afraid a new crunch won't happen.

You could ask Megan. She is at SHOT show and there should be some people from Leatherman there. Maybe she can get something out of them. (crunch clamped on their fingers and slowly tighten it maybe? Just an idea)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I figured the Crunch was built about as good as it could ever be...but I just have this small nagging feeling that they might make a newer Free-Gen Crunch...

I guess it doesn’t matter, cuz I’ll likely end up owning the current gen, and I wouldn’t pass up a Free-Gen either!

Who is Megan? I haven’t been here long, so there are many folks I still haven’t seen post.

Thanks again for all the response!

P.S. Sorry if I post/talk a lot. I’m on some other online forums, and I use an app called TapaTalk (it kinda sucks) to manage all my forum interactions in one place...so I’m very active with seeing posts on this thread.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #294 on: January 24, 2020, 11:58:25 AM
Trust me you don't talk as much as me :whistle: :facepalm: :rofl: Our mobile site running the Sunrise theme is so much better than Tapatalk, so think about using that instead :salute:

Megan is our marketing person for social media amonst other things and also Grant's (our site owner) significant other :tu: She was at SHOT 2020 this year for us as well and we got a great firsthand look at several new things from several companies :like:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #295 on: January 27, 2020, 05:10:23 AM
Horizontal holster would be my jam as well, your almost my singluar driving reason to consider the P4 at this point lol.

As for the horizontal carry...

- I’ll admit, I’m a big ol’ fatty. My love handles make vertical carry uncomfortable.

Love it, any chance of a horizontal holster version?

After another request from a Shapeways customer; I finally designed the horizontal carry option for the FREE P2 and P4.
It doesn't have any extra bit/extender options, as no matter what I did they just didn't fit well. Also only one belt size, as I don't trust an open clip on a larger duty style belt.
Now available in both Left or Right carry.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #296 on: January 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM
 :like: :like:

Just a few thoughts...
- Would a metal belt clip be an option...?
- ... and would this not make a bit extender slot a possible add-on option too...?

Just asking...  :angel:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #297 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:28 AM

After another request from a Shapeways customer; I finally designed the horizontal carry option for the FREE P2 and P4.
It doesn't have any extra bit/extender options, as no matter what I did they just didn't fit well. Also only one belt size, as I don't trust an open clip on a larger duty style belt.

Lordy Lordy, mercy me!

That is beautiful!

Three questions come to mind, immediately, because let’s face it...that’s how we work!

- 1. What size belt did you design this for? My eyes tell me, based on dimensions, that it will fit perfectly on a 1.5” belt. Which is my standard.

——————————————————————

- 2. Does this mean I can go spend money right now?!?

——————————————————————

- 3. Now that you’ve “conquered” this “demon” do you think you’ll design this style for the Wave+ and Surge? :selfish:

Thank you, once again, and always!

If I had the brainpower, and/or the means, I still wouldn’t be able to create/design the wonders you’ve bestowed upon us!

I grovel at your throne, Lord ZapWizard!

HUZZAH!

P.S. I may, or may not, have achieved a “Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone circa 1994” level of drunken-ness...

You decide. Don’t be fooled by my literate typing.

]^{]^{£^{7£{7]{|]\{]|
Hahghagjhskgukxgoux
(#*’hgkhsfhghkggljshljsjbkj

Hint...I DID / AM that drunk. I am, indeed, your Huckleberry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #298 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:25 PM
Grat job on that sheath, Zap :o :like: :like:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #299 on: January 27, 2020, 03:33:01 PM
- Would a metal belt clip be an option...?
- ... and would this not make a bit extender slot a possible add-on option too...?

The metal clips requires Chicago screws, which don't line up with the tool pocket very well. At least not without major modifications.
I did think of putting the bit-extender on the bottom side, I may look at that in CAD. Since the FREE series is symmetrical it should work.

Three questions come to mind, immediately, because let’s face it...that’s how we work!
- 1. What size belt did you design this for? My eyes tell me, based on dimensions, that it will fit perfectly on a 1.5” belt. Which is my standard.
- 2. Does this mean I can go spend money right now?!?
- 3. Now that you’ve “conquered” this “demon” do you think you’ll design this style for the Wave+ and Surge? :selfish:
1) I have settled on a "BDU" belt size as my default for the regular loop and plastic clip. This is a military regulation size, and is 1.75" tall. I use this size on the 1.5" leather belt I wear daily.
2) Yes, the link to the shop is in my signature.
3) Probably not for the Wave/Charge/Surge. At least not until I have enough requests that it makes sense to put in the time. Their holsters aren't as nice and symmetrical as the FREE series.Why does that matter: Because I have to make the CAD model highly modular, such that I can boolean add/subtract common components to build up a new configuration. You see I now have several dozen unique configurations, each time I add a new config, if I change anything with a base component the amount of items I have to re-export and update goes up exponentially. For example I had to recently update the Surge  holster to accommodate the new Thumb tabs. This meant I had to update 8 different unique combinations. (Also the Surge is quite heavy, and gravity is needed to help hold it in.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%