Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini small knife stash

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Mini small knife stash
on: September 11, 2019, 06:07:45 PM
Just a recent obsession with small-ish 2 inch or less knife. Still yet to find the perfect companion.  :cheers:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Mini small knife stash
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 06:22:15 PM
Nice collection :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 06:33:05 PM
Nice collection :like:

:salute: nothing fancy. Still those budget low end stuffs.

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:56:58 PM
  :salute: nothing fancy. Still those budget low end stuffs.
Then you don't have to baby them :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:59 PM
Nice collection of knives Sam  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:33 PM
Just a recent obsession with small-ish 2 inch or less knife. Still yet to find the perfect companion.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

You're missing the BUG :D
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 06:01:57 AM
Nice collection!  The 111mm mod is interesting.  Personally, I only like sub 3" knife, only if the handle is adequate or with a great choil.

Any particular qualities in the 2" category you are looking for?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 06:32:23 AM

That would be really tiny! Had it before but didn't quite like it...  :D

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:37:41 AM
Nice collection!  The 111mm mod is interesting.  Personally, I only like sub 3" knife, only if the handle is adequate or with a great choil.

Any particular qualities in the 2" category you are looking for?

That trekker was rather easy to reprofiled to a plain, more spydie blade.  :cheers:

I would be looking for something in 2inch or less. Either straight or gentle recurve, like what I have done on the kershaw. Oho operation with a liner lock. Didn't quite like a back lock as I find them a bit cumbersome.. Basically oho for opening and closing. I am looking at the spyderco Chicago. Seems to tick all my requirements.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 01:19:33 PM
That would be really tiny! Had it before but didn't quite like it...  :D

It bugged you, huh?...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 01:59:46 PM
It bugged you, huh?...

:whistle:

Lol. Yeah. I got it as used freebie along with something I can't remember. Bugged the hell out of me. I think I only used it to cut open packs of chips. Really too small to be effective elsewhere..

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 02:12:01 PM
Nice selection of smalls Sam !   :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 02:19:24 PM
Now that's a small knife. :tu:
Think it should have been called the Tick.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 02:55:04 PM
I like little knives too.  Nice collection. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 04:20:19 PM
I like little knives too.  Nice collection.

Thanks! Have a mini tuff lite somewhere on the way too.  :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 05:33:33 PM
Thanks! Have a mini tuff lite somewhere on the way too.  :)

I actually quite like the Tuff lite, thought it has a really functional choil and I could sorta Spyder flick it open.

I have a Spyderco Lil native, it's not liner lock but the compression lock is easy to open and close in one hand.  Maybe that would be of interest to you?

I've also heard good things about the CRKT pillar too, and had been wondering about that one for a while.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:26 PM
I actually quite like the Tuff lite, thought it has a really functional choil and I could sorta Spyder flick it open.

I have a Spyderco Lil native, it's not liner lock but the compression lock is easy to open and close in one hand.  Maybe that would be of interest to you?

I've also heard good things about the CRKT pillar too, and had been wondering about that one for a while.

The Tuff Lite cannot be spyder flicked. There's a sort of spring that holds the blade in place. Not really flickable. The Lil Native, still a little too "large" and my budget doesn't allow yet..  :facepalm: Pillar, though I have not handled one, I didn't quite like the upward curve of the blade... Though that's one I would get eventually.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:38 AM
I've always liked the look of and wanted a Tuff Lite, but over here it's a lot of money for very little knife.  :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 02:12:09 AM
I like a smallish knife. Typically not so big to bring attention, but big enough to get the job done. I personally like about 3" closed for the job, which typically has a little over 2" blade.

Had the opportunity to buy the Mini Tough Lite at a local department store that was going out of business--instead bought a Case; wish I'd splurged, since even with the 30% discount, I'd have less than $50 in both knives.

I've got the standard Southwire hawkbill, but have been meaning to make the jump to the D2 "Edgeforce' version. 8Cr13MOV steel is good, but not really abuse tolerant; as hardened.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 08:57:45 AM
The Tuff Lite cannot be spyder flicked. There's a sort of spring that holds the blade in place. Not really flickable. The Lil Native, still a little too "large" and my budget doesn't allow yet..  :facepalm: Pillar, though I have not handled one, I didn't quite like the upward curve of the blade... Though that's one I would get eventually.
Please come back and let us know what you think if you got the Pillar.  :cheers:

I've always liked the look of and wanted a Tuff Lite, but over here it's a lot of money for very little knife.  :facepalm:
GG, I am probably stuck in a similar situation as you do. :facepalm:   Most knives are just expensive here since we have the most expensive real estate in the world, for example, the new LM P4 just out, and even at stores with the cheaper rent in town, they are selling at around 200usd.  Luckily, shipping from and to my town is not too expensive, so shipping from oversea is a very viable option.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:06 AM
GG, I am probably stuck in a similar situation as you do. :facepalm:   Most knives are just expensive here since we have the most expensive real estate in the world, for example, the new LM P4 just out, and even at stores with the cheaper rent in town, they are selling at around 200usd.  Luckily, shipping from and to my town is not too expensive, so shipping from oversea is a very viable option.

Well, first everything gets imported to South African, then we get to import it to Namibia....and then I get to buy it  :facepalm:

Funny you should mention the P4, we discussed it this weekend, and my friend who owns the shop where I get most of my sharp goodies remarked about the price and the flawed ergos.....  :facepalm:
It's the equivalent of USD 230 locally.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 06:15:28 PM

My smallish knife stash have expanded. Sub 2 to 2.5in blades. Some recent addition and a few more on the way.

The Ganzo was a real surprise! Really cheap and decently made. Better steel than the standard 8CR13s.

The Kabar mini Doizer became my off day carry after some alterations. Added finger choil and a spydie wire clip.

Most disappointing, the Tacnwo which boasted CPMS35VN steel bought from the big A. Read alot of mixed reviews there and on Youtube. Finally made the jump and got one myself. While the built and design is nice, the steel is complete rubbish. Lost the edge after a few cuts on cardboard. Too easy to sharpen and strop which made me think this is a much much softer steel than advertised. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 06:20:19 PM
Some very nice looking knives you have there!  :like: :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 06:33:10 PM
Nice selection of small knives Sam :like: :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:50 PM
Small knives are where it's at these days :tu:
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:12 AM
Small knives are where it's at these days :tu:
:iagree: 110%

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 07:38:37 AM
Small knives have a class all their own. Ask any die hard SAK fan and they will probably tell you they have anything from a Vic Classic to Minichamp on their keychain or in their pocket. For many, it is all the knife they need. For his birthday, I gave my uncle an AG Russell 3" Bolstered Lockback knife in VG10. It is a small knife and I knew it would be one of the few knives he would actually carry. Up to that point, he ALWAYS carried a Case Small Stockman and I have watched him field dress many deer with that little knife.

I have a pre-packed EDC bag that I throw in the car or motorcycle when traveling and I keep a Vic Executive in there. It is one heck of a knife "pound for pound."

Below are some of my other minis. The Case Cheetah Cub, the Case MiniCopperhead and the tank-tough Buck 55.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 12:32:23 PM
Nice array, Sam. All my smaller knives are all traditional style, and all my one hand openers are what I consider full sized pocket knives. I think my smallest one hand openers are the SRM H02, and they don't get used often. In fact they're now sacrificial knives, knives I carry when there's a risk of loss, or having to give it up to access somewhere for example, so I don't risk being parted with something I value more.

The smaller knives for me therefore tend to be penknife type, the double ended traditionals, or the 58/65mm Swiss knives.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 12:56:42 PM
Nice array, Sam. All my smaller knives are all traditional style, and all my one hand openers are what I consider full sized pocket knives. I think my smallest one hand openers are the SRM H02, and they don't get used often. In fact they're now sacrificial knives, knives I carry when there's a risk of loss, or having to give it up to access somewhere for example, so I don't risk being parted with something I value more.

The smaller knives for me therefore tend to be penknife type, the double ended traditionals, or the 58/65mm Swiss knives.

Thanks 50. I tend to favour blades with oho and oversized handles. I dun mind a 4-5in handle with a 2-2.5in blade. So sometimes I will just buy them and shorten and reshape to my requirement and preference. A very recent obsession that I have..  :facepalm:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 01:18:05 PM
Nice knives spudley  :like: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30