Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox in the 2020's: Realistic Possibilities

us Offline The Scrounger

Victorinox in the 2020's: Realistic Possibilities
on: August 14, 2020, 05:23:06 AM
I've been doing a bit of research on this forum lately and keep stumbling across threads from over 10 years ago filled with posts about what they would like to see from Victorinox. Topics mentioned back then were the future of Wenger, a "Pioneer with scissors," etc. Interesting to look back knowing what we know now. 2020 has already kicked off with a new model, the Farmer X, a desired combination for some folks and it uses existing parts. I keep looking through SAKWiki at all the models that have come and gone, with a few that could become reality (again) just by having the parts already in use by Victorinox.

So my question is: What realistic changes would you like to see from Victorinox? Think of discontinued models that could easily be made or ones that have yet to contain a certain combination of tools. Also consider tools/features that could benefit from subtle changes that are plausible considering Victorinox's manufacturing capability and their "design language."

Don't want to see comments like:
84 mm scissors
Alox with backside tools or scale tools
111 mm "Right-hand friendly" linerlocks

Those have been mentioned often and aren't realistic expectations. Also, be specific with the frame size you are referencing.

I'll start with mine:
1) Serrated blade versions of many 91 mm and a few 84 mm models. Not one-off's like in the past, but a literal PE or SE Main Blade option when ordering. I LOVE the versatility it brings to my serrated Spartan and would like to see it expanded to more models.
2) "Crosscut" files on most 58-74 mm, like the Executive. Much more versatile than the textured file, IMO. Also would like to see something on the reverse side, such as a ruler or reintroducing the dual-slotted nail file.
3) Of all the 93 mm models released, none have ever contained the file/metal saw (to my knowledge). Shouldn't be that hard to put together, right?
4) Just want to see 111 mm OHO models continue to be manufactured and advertised better in countries where they're legal. See this thread: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=80844.0
5) I would like to see more 91 mm combinations with 3 or less layers, including the reintroduction of the Scientist and/or Yeoman.
6) Plus scales as an upgrade option to all 91 mm models when ordering.
7) A scraper edge on the bottle opener tool (Similar to the old wire scraper or something different). Besides pleasing the ferro-rod crowd, it would be a handy feature to have.

Interested to see what you guys would like or expect from Victorinox going forward, and I guess we'll sit back and watch how this decade plays out!  :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox in the 2020's: Realistic Possibilities
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:32:04 AM
I agree with your number 2) and 3). I prefer the new nail file over the old one, and would really like seeing it on the classics. They should also add the nail file to all hooks. Not just on the compact. (I assume that is one of the reasons the Compact is significantly more expensive than similar models, but i still want it  :gimme: )

I would also like more tool combinations in the Alox range, especially an aggressive metal saw/file.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 05:47:03 AM
1) *All* multipurpose hooks should be like the one on the Compact, with the small file section.

2) Speaking of files, I absolutely agree that we need the file/metal saw on a 93mm model or two, and I, too, would like to see the new nail file design on 58/74mm models.

3) Resurrect the extremely short-lived 91mm Waiter Plus for those of us who like the 91mm form factor but want a slim knife. (As well as those of us who missed out on that model.)

4) And how about a 93mm version of the Bantam.

5) I think reviving old models would be great as well. The Scientist would be nice, but I’m particularly partial to the Trail Master. (If they don’t want to expand the model line, an annual “vintage revival” limited-edition version might work).

Great thread, BTW!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:24:54 AM
Someone here recently modded a 91mm to contain both the #1-2 Phillips in-line and the 0-1 111mm in-line Phillips in the same layer dropping out the magnifying glass.  I would love to see this conbo in the center a 3 layer SAK. Or a 5 layer with the hacksaw/file and woodsaw.  I would also love to see Vic stop over polishing the drivers.  Sharp squared off edges like the older Soldiers models grip far better.  Speaking of those older soldier drivers bring back the awesome sharpened inner edage on the bottle opener/ driver.
Update the Swisstool chisel to the Spirit style and update the Spirit scissors to the 91mm style and give both replaceable hardened wire cutter blades.

Now on the not so plausible side, reverse (flip flop) the handles on both the Swisstool and Spirit so they could make the blade Right handed OHO on both.

Guess I'll just keep dreaming.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ca Offline Altis

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:29:29 AM
There's certainly quite a few really interesting discontinued models that would be nice to have again.

My favourite is the Woodsman (Explorer with wood saw... ie. Explorer + Huntsman). I have one from years ago (my first SAK) and it's such a great set of tools for a wide range of environments, from EDC to outdoors.

Some bladeless models would be fun, too.

I honestly just wish they would open up a segment of custom builds (doesn't have to be every single tool available)... even if it's pre-determined layers, to be able to pick and choose wouldn't be too difficult to implement and could make for some fun combinations.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 06:49:09 AM
Better and wider availability of ecoline models.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:14:04 AM
I would love to see model like 91mm clipper or like 111mm master, 2-3 layer containing metal saw / file

Offline ComboTool

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
I second the demand for the resurrection of the Yeoman, as well as the general use of plus scales and file hooks. And I don't know how realistic this is, but a Swisstool mini and/or nano (read Juice/Squirt sized) would have my attention.
Other than that, my personal wishes would be:
- 84mm and 111mm plus scales.
- a 91mm package opener, which could take the place of the small blade in urban-oriented models.
- and the return of 84mm scissors  >:D... OK, I'm out  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 08:44:11 AM
Lower prices, especially on their larger models, Limited editions (seriously a damascus blade adds 300 Euro to cost?) and multitools - They have been making the same multitools for years, the initial outlay must be covered by now.

Longer lasting etching/drawings on their plastic scales - they just get scratched right off  once you start using them
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline ComboTool

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 08:55:58 AM
On the 58mm front, I'd like knifeless options with a package opener (ala Gerber Dime) instead of the blade. I'd love a bladeless Rambler/Manager, but even a bladeless Classic SD would be nice. And a reasonably priced alox Rambler (original or bladeless).

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 09:02:12 AM
I'm fairly happy with the current ranges. But I agree that more serrated blade options would be good. Same with optional plus scales for 91mm knives.

As far as I know, of the 91mm range only the Spartan, Hiker, Huntsman, and Swisschamp are available with wooden scales. Why can't they be included on other popular models?  ???  And to bring the T&T back with them! Price must be the only reason Victorinox removed them from the current generation. It beggars belief that the even the current Swisschamp Wood doesn't include these basic scale tools.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:18:56 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

Offline ComboTool

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 09:05:33 AM
As for the Délémont collection, I have three wishes for the 85mm range (ranked from highly unlikely to borderline impossible):
- flat scales.
- bring back some 4-6 layer models (the Deer comes to mind, and I would also like a plier-less S557).
- reasonable prices compared to similar 91mm models.
And I wouldn't mind a reissue of the Pocket Tool Chest.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 09:55:38 AM
Not as experienced with SAKs as others but my wants:

-Pioneer X with a metal saw/file, I don't care about a woodsaw but metal/saw file tends to come in handy
-As already mentioned, all hooks should have the file section
-I doubt an alox with a magnifier would happen but a man can dream
-A bladeless 58 would be great for travel, but I'd want it to be plastic w/scaletools
-Coin battery powered lights in 2020? Give us a light option that charges off usb, like the tile keysmart
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 09:57:12 AM
I would like to see more focus on tools and less on overpriced 'lifestyle' goods.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 10:02:03 AM
I’d like to see a smaller spirit, something that could actually be carried in a pocket.
Go back to the old grey mag layer - new version just looks cheap, nasty and brittle!
Would like to see inline Philips on Alox
Maybe release a special edition of Swiss champ in Alox guise ??

But, knowing Victorinox as we all do. It will be the same old same old.

They are just so predictable.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 11:43:56 AM
Being relatively positive that 98% of the "wishes" won't happen from Vic's side, i honestly have none. Any of my preferred stock models will do the job great as they always did, and that (to me) is what matters  ;)

We can certainly count from Vic though, is an endless count of LE's and SE's (standard cellidor models with fancy scales, and standard alox models with fancy colors) for years to come....  >:D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Offline Echotech

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 12:21:32 PM
facepalming immediately but scissors on an 84mm! Bring back the 84mm golfer, if new tooling is needed so be it, but it has been done. The waiter is a great SAK, the golfer gives it the scissors, happy man! Very happy with my compact, my most carried SAK but would like the smaller lighter option.

Agree that the hook should have the file like the compact on models without a file, talking of which I’m also for more options with the metal saw/file.

More models with the cap lifter/can opener combo tool freeing up space for more dedicated screwdriver options like inline philips o other tools.

Plus scales on all sizes, I can dream, but at least more options on the 91’s, my huntsman plus is next most used after the compact. I may not use the pen that much but good to know it’s there.

If I can really dream, an extra scale slot for my tortoise gear firefly so I can keep the toothpick.

Models with the hole should always come with the pin, can’t cost more than a few cents in bulk but expensive online to buy the Vic ones. Corkscrew models with the mini driver too, easy to add I know.

Echo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 02:24:24 PM
Yeoman.  Why on earth did Vx ever discontinue it in the first place?  I assume because it was a slow seller?  Anyway, Yeoman.

And replace the traditional can opener with some kind of inline Phillips and let us all finally be free of the useless backside Phillips (apologies to its fans, both of them).  Especially on the 111 mm Soldier models and similar. 

Myron

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
Interesting ideas here!  :like:

us Offline munsonhsr

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 04:32:30 PM
Off the top of my head, the two items I would be excited about would be:

More serrated blades and the Yeoman.   I find it interesting that so many mention the Yeoman.
Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)

Offline v.chiu

• New User
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 04:54:22 PM
If possible for Victorinox to introduce a new line based off 91mm Waiter Plus so that all current production models are always 1 layer thinner, for example, a 3-layer Huntsman instead of the current Huntsman.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:00:05 PM by v.chiu »

us Offline Frailer

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 05:46:18 PM
If possible for Victorinox to introduce a new line based off 91mm Waiter Plus so that all current production models are always 1 layer thinner, for example, a 3-layer Huntsman instead of the current Huntsman.

I like the way you think...because your thoughts mirror my own.

In 91mm knives I *greatly* prefer losing the small blade and opener layer in favor of a combo tool, which explains my love for the Trail Guide (which I just realized I mislabeled “Trail Master” above...and I can no longer edit to correct my mistake).  A version with a saw in lieu of the file would be great (and probably more worthy of the name).

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 08:00:07 PM
Great thread idea!

In 91mm knives I *greatly* prefer losing the small blade and opener layer in favor of a combo tool, which explains my love for the Trail Guide (which I just realized I mislabeled “Trail Master” above...and I can no longer edit to correct my mistake). 

I knew what you meant!  The Trail Guide is one of my favorites for slim/minimal options.

——

I have a lot of the same ‘realistic’ wish list items above and in the OP.

• Serrated blades. Wider availability would be nice. Main blades, small blades, 60%.
  • Models with pruner blades. Outdoorsman, Picnicker, Gardener, Alox Carver (SB)
  • 93mm Metal Saw. Should be easy enough as the 91mm version uses the same backspring as the Wood Saw, so the same should be true for 93mm
  • Hook File...I’d think it would make sense just to standardize it. I’d also take the cut style on the inside edge.
  • More or wider use of the short/electronic scale back Tweezer. Would provide for cleaner looking Front Scale. Tooling design already allows for this. I’m thinking at least for the Plus scales.
  • Wider use of Polispectral PS coating. Like all of them. SE or regular production. I’d buy several. Even if it may not wear very well on saws, pliers or scissors...I still want it. PS Champ? Yes, please. 
  • Probably unrealistic...a Long Combo Tool...for the main blade slot. Like the Compact’s tool, but longer, like on the AutoTool.
  • A 4th tool to work in the Mag/Phillips/Lite layer. Because how else would you make a SwissChamp Lite?

Pass on 84mm scissors. I know so many want it...perhaps I would too, but tooling up for it makes no sense to me...unless they plan to fully support 84mm like in the past with other tools.  I’m not a Wenger guy, but I’d rather they keep the 85mm line alive and respect the history.

Pass on 84mm Plus Scales. There’s no room for it, IMO. 84mm upgrades ‘fail’ the realistic range of what Victorinox would do, IMO.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 08:07:56 PM
91 mm Huntsman Parcel Hook = SAK within SAK.

BUT Hook is too close to the ring eye for deployment without annoyance.

Preferred Solutions:

a.) Move parcel hook one or two layers away away from ring eye; or

b.) Flip hook and spring layer 180 end to end.

Plan B: nail nick on side of hook. 

Plan C: Drill a hole in the hook, put ring through that drilled hole (If one needs the ring, which I don’t), eliminate ring eye.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 08:22:13 PM
Change cap lifter to seat belt cutter, while retaining screwdriver tip.

Relocate Cap lifter to spine of any tool, even the redesigned seat belt cutter.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 08:32:52 PM
Actually
Now I’ve thought some more
They should release the Explorer with serrated blade
God, I would luv that 💕💕💕
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:05 PM
Half a spirit... yeah, I know the half-squirts were not that popular, but SAKs with piano lock would be nice.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:09 AM
I would think that realistic possibilities would have to be in line with Victorinox's vision of itself. 

They just don't seem to invent new implements.  For that reason, I would eliminate the thought of any new implement just as a long combo tool or alteration in the in-line Phillips such that it fits in a typically sized layer.

As I had mentioned somewhere else, I would like to see expanded options in Cellidor scales, and a way to replace them as often as desired while retaining the warranty - i.e. have various colors/patterns and specialty scales available at retailers, and give the retailers the responsibility of changing them so the warranty is maintained.  I'd like to see specialty scales with more variety... Glow-in-the-dark, grips, metallic (faux Alox), Plus, LED lights, inch/cm rulers, pill boxes, RFID, hex wrench adapters, files, match strikers, name/engraving plates, and so many other things can be added to specialty scales. Make the Victorinox slogan... Companion for Life though all its changes. 

I'd like to see more options in three layer SAKs .... making that third layer the Mag-Philips, or the file.

It would require a redesign, but I too would like to see a mini Spirit that has a ruler on it. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2020, 02:19:58 AM
Yeoman, Craftsman, Woodsman, and Pocket Tool Chest.  Oh, and a 74mm version of the Minichamp!
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 03:54:16 AM
Talking about all those serrated blades: If serrated, i want the serrations from the GAK blade, not the pointed ones on some Wengers for example. That GAK blade is a beast and i want it on 91mm  :D (Non-OHO of course!)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%