Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spartan Midsummer Challenge July 2022

us Offline marlowe221

Re: Spartan Midsummer Challenge July 2022
Reply #60 on: June 27, 2022, 05:21:31 PM
Day 3

Reached for the Spartan today to try to fiddle a switch with the can opener, and realized it wasn't in my pocket. This thing is so thin, I didn't even realize it was still in yesterday's shorts, or missing from today's, until I reached for it. Fortunately, we all survived. Tweezers and pin used for some nail cleaning (no pics). I decided to do a pocket dump when I went back to the room to grab it. Also took a comp pic with the Huntsman I had been carrying.

Thanks! In my opinion, TWISBI offers about the best value for money for an affordable user fountain pen. Cheap enough that it doesn't break my heart (or wallet) if something happens to one, and perform well enough that I enjoy using them.

Man, that Huntsman really looks large compared to the Spartan! I don't own a Huntsman. The tool set is very tempting but I just don't think I would be able to comfortably carry one in my pocket, day to day. I don't carry my Explorer or Deluxe Tinker (my only 4 layer SAKs) in my pocket - they are backpack/desk drawer SAKs.

To me, 2 and 3 layer SAKs are the sweet spot for in-the-pocket EDC.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #61 on: June 27, 2022, 07:12:24 PM
Personally, I've never been put off by "pocket size" for SAKs. Even the SwissChamp felt fine after a day or two. I very occasionally care about bulge (fancy even like a wedding) but other than that, it's fine.

I will also say that both the Explorer and Tinker are relatively thick for 4 layer knives (plyers and Philips are thicker than saw) so it may not be quite as imposing as it seems.

I do really like the feel of a two layer SAK in hand, nice and light and tight, but I think four is the sweet spot for me. A little more heft when you want it, but keeps the blades reasonable on center, and the extra capabilities of the scissors, saw, etc. is nice.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #62 on: June 27, 2022, 08:08:02 PM
Personally, I've never been put off by "pocket size" for SAKs. Even the SwissChamp felt fine after a day or two. I very occasionally care about bulge (fancy even like a wedding) but other than that, it's fine.

I will also say that both the Explorer and Tinker are relatively thick for 4 layer knives (plyers and Philips are thicker than saw) so it may not be quite as imposing as it seems.

I do really like the feel of a two layer SAK in hand, nice and light and tight, but I think four is the sweet spot for me. A little more heft when you want it, but keeps the blades reasonable on center, and the extra capabilities of the scissors, saw, etc. is nice.

That's a good point that some layers are thicker than others. I guess the saw is pretty thin! Maybe a Huntsman/Fieldmaster wouldn't be a big deal over my Super Tinker then.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #63 on: June 28, 2022, 03:11:06 AM
Looking great BP!  I'm a fountain pen lover too.  There's nothing else quite like them. 
I carried a Huntsman for decades.  For a general all around SAK it's ideal.  If you don't use a saw often, though, the Climber or Super Tinker would probably work better for EDC.  If I had to pick an around the town SAK, it'd be one of those or the Explorer for that lovely Philips screwdriver.
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #64 on: June 28, 2022, 05:14:44 AM

thread.jpg
* thread.jpg (Filesize: 146.26 KB)
Used the Spartan as a paperweight today. We were working outside on a porch, and a storm blew in. Also did some thread trimming. Missed the scissors here quite a bit. Small blade was harder, and there was one I couldn't do at all myself with the shirt on. Not sure why the images are posting weird, but whatever.

Looking great BP!  I'm a fountain pen lover too.  There's nothing else quite like them. 
I carried a Huntsman for decades.  For a general all around SAK it's ideal.  If you don't use a saw often, though, the Climber or Super Tinker would probably work better for EDC.  If I had to pick an around the town SAK, it'd be one of those or the Explorer for that lovely Philips screwdriver.

I picked up an (I think) early 90s Angler last week, which swaps the saw for a fish scaler. Since I tend to use my saw as a pokey tool more than a saw at the office, I think it's the ideal office carry. Do love the Huntsman for camp, light fix it jobs, etc.

* paper.jpg (Filesize: 257.9 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #65 on: June 28, 2022, 05:25:40 AM
That scaler is a Multitool in itself!  :D
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #66 on: June 28, 2022, 06:10:19 PM
I think the can opener is the most multifunctional tool on a SAK, but it is amazing how often I just need to poke, wriggle, etc.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #67 on: June 28, 2022, 06:37:51 PM
Yep, the can opener is amazing and probably my most used SAK tool... and I don't think I've ever opened an actual can with it. I use it for phillips screws, opening packages, a hook, scraper, etc.

I also use the bottle opener a good bit for a variety of things. Basically, I get a LOT of use out of the opener layer - I don't see how people get by with the 91mm/84mm combo tool (the 58mm combo tool is wonderful, on the other hand).

I don't have a SAK with the saw or the fish scaler. I need to fix that!

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: June 28, 2022, 07:23:23 PM
I don't see how people get by with the 91mm/84mm combo tool.
I've found that the combo tool doesn't work quite as well as the dedicated cap lifter, but I prefer it for opening cans. For the most part, I'm apt to use the opener tools solely for the functions Victorinox originally intended.

I don't have a SAK with the saw or the fish scaler. I need to fix that!
Just curious: how would you accomplish that goal? SwissChamp (or bigger SAK), two separate SAKs (i.e. Fisherman and Huntsman), or a mod?
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #69 on: June 28, 2022, 07:58:58 PM
Vic really nailed it with that can opener design.  It even works as an orange peeler!
Barry

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #70 on: June 28, 2022, 08:17:33 PM
I've found that the combo tool doesn't work quite as well as the dedicated cap lifter, but I prefer it for opening cans. For the most part, I'm apt to use the opener tools solely for the functions Victorinox originally intended.

I use the openers as screw drivers more often than anything else. I do use the bottle opener to open bottles from time to time. But I've never had to open a can with the can opener.

Just curious: how would you accomplish that goal? SwissChamp (or bigger SAK), two separate SAKs (i.e. Fisherman and Huntsman), or a mod?

The correct answer is always more SAKs!   :D

us Offline powernoodle

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: June 28, 2022, 08:26:45 PM
I've never had to open a can with the can opener.

Same here.  I bought my first MT/SAK around 1990 -  a Leatherman Mini-Tool - and have collected, hoarded, carried and used them ever since.  But I have never opened a can with one.

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: June 28, 2022, 08:38:38 PM
I've never had to open a can with the can opener.

I bought my first MT/SAK around 1990...but I have never opened a can with one.
Cans with pull tabs are becoming more and more common...but beyond that, why have y'awl never opened a can with an SAK or a multi? Is it a dedicated can opener that's awlways handy, you don't eat canned food, or something else? Again, I'm just curious here.

I've said before that there are dedicated can openers at that Farmer X homestead. But instead of looking where one should be and hoping it's there, it's easier for me to reach into my pocket or pull an SAK out of the roll.
USN 2000-2006

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

us Offline powernoodle

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: June 28, 2022, 08:56:29 PM
Cans with pull tabs are becoming more and more common...but beyond that, why have y'awl never opened a can with an SAK or a multi? Is it a dedicated can opener that's awlways handy, you don't eat canned food, or something else? Again, I'm just curious here.

I do not recall ever opening a can in some venue other than my kitchen, which has a can opener.  I have never opened a can in an elevator, a vehicle, a prison cell nor space ship.  I have not been camping in 30 years, as I enjoy air conditioning and running water, so I have never had the need to open a can far from home.  For the same reason, and other than in a Challenge, I have never used SAK or MT to prepare or consume food, as I have knives and forks at home and go to restaurants where those things are provided.  I find it strange to see a pic posted here of someone eating a steak at a restaurant and using a SAK to cut it, since the restaurants I go to provide cutlery though I guess you might get a dull steak knife.  We have a corkscrew in our kitchen, so I have never needed the corkscrew on a SAK and frankly find them to be a major waste of space.  I do appreciate the other tools on SAKs and MTs, which for me are mostly convenience items though they do occasionally save the day when away from home.  Mostly I carry them for the "just in case" feel good factor.  They give me the illusion of having some measure of control in this cold, cruel, glorious world.

:salute:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #74 on: June 28, 2022, 09:03:59 PM

I've said before that there are dedicated can openers at that Farmer X homestead. But instead of looking where one should be and hoping it's there, it's easier for me to reach into my pocket or pull an SAK out of the roll.

We don't eat much canned food at home (mostly frozen veggies for us). When camping I usually take "add water" kind of stuff - cans are too heavy.

So my primary food packaging opening SAK tool is actually the scissors!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #75 on: June 28, 2022, 10:31:41 PM

Seems like everyone wants to have half a dozen bottle openers on them all the time but never think about a can opener.  Back in the day you needed both.  Sure  they both now generally come in easy open options but as soon as you assume they all do, you'll need one or the other.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #76 on: June 28, 2022, 11:49:04 PM
I used the can opener a few times just to say I did (and so I could know how if I ever had to.)

Low and behold, I went to a convention this spring where we did a crockpot pot luck. I was making soup and no one had a can opener. Had to open about half a dozen between my recipes and other people's.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #77 on: June 29, 2022, 12:10:23 AM
I have a friend who keeps a Tinker on his kitchen counter, it's only duty to open cans. 
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #78 on: June 29, 2022, 12:40:06 AM
Day 5

Done with grad school and starting the trip home. Wife has some family up here, so she picked me up and brought some food so I wouldn't have to keep eating out. Spartan sliced up some strawberries for a snack.

* strawberry.jpg (Filesize: 149.75 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #79 on: June 29, 2022, 05:04:02 AM
One of my favorite things to do with mine too.  Challenge wise, I find a lot of my activity involves food :D
Barry

us Offline CM Yo

Reply #80 on: June 29, 2022, 04:16:14 PM
One of my favorite things to do with mine too.  Challenge wise, I find a lot of my activity involves food :D
I have found that my Victorinox knives see more food than wood during their service. You really have to love that thin blade for food prep. I have a serrated Spartan landing today. Should make for 30 days of carefree cutting.

Outta the Ol' Pueblo

Living and Loving

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #81 on: June 29, 2022, 04:40:13 PM
I've always been very hesitant to use a SAK on food for some reason. Not sure why, actually.

I find I use mine most for minor repairs around the house, opening packages and containers, fixing kids toys (Rambler to the rescue!), and stuff like that. I also do a lot of work with computers and other electronics (both professionally and for fun) and a SAK or two come in very handy there too - my Tourist and Rambler until I recently started growing my collection.

The Cybertool models look pretty cool but I don't actually need the star bits or tri-wings or whatever else they come with very often; a Phillips that works in 0 and 00 size Phillips screws will do the job 99% of the time and the Rambler is perfect for that.

A saw might come in handy doing work in the yard and breaking down branches to fit in the yard debris bin so the lid will actually close though...  :D

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: June 29, 2022, 06:18:06 PM
Some good feedback on the can thing; thanks to awl for sharing it! I will sometimes use an SAK or a pocket knife for food prep, but I prefer a kitchen knife for that, as they're much easier to clean. A dishwasher-safe Opinel paring knife made its way to the Farmer X homestead not too long ago, and instantly became a favorite.

And BPRoberts has me wanting to take CV Case blades to a strawberry and see what happens...

Edited to add a question I've been meaning to ask: will there be a new badge created for this challenge, or does it simply qualify one for the Minimal SAK Challenge badge?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:23:50 PM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #83 on: June 29, 2022, 11:00:15 PM
+1 on the Opinel paring knife Farmer!  We hit the minimum number of participants plus a few so I'll ask about getting a badge done for us. 
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: June 30, 2022, 02:21:00 AM
We'll see about the badge. If a badge is offered, I'll have to choose between it and the 30-day traditional challenge badge.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #85 on: June 30, 2022, 03:42:42 AM
Day 6

Awl poked some drainage/air holes in a travel soap holder. See some of you tomorrow!

* soap.jpg (Filesize: 155.11 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #86 on: June 30, 2022, 03:46:18 AM
Looks forward to it!!  :woohoo: :woohoo:
Barry

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: June 30, 2022, 06:09:56 AM
Just ordered some new plus scales to spruce the Spartan up for the occasion  :hatsoff:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #88 on: June 30, 2022, 05:18:50 PM
I think four is the sweet spot for me. A little more heft when you want it, but keeps the blades reasonable on center, and the extra capabilities of the scissors, saw, etc. is nice.

I have big paws, so the four layer SAKs feel best in my hand and I always like more tools.  That said, it's been good for me doing challenges with SAKs I normally wouldn't consider. 

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #89 on: June 30, 2022, 05:55:00 PM
I have big paws, so the four layer SAKs feel best in my hand and I always like more tools.  That said, it's been good for me doing challenges with SAKs I normally wouldn't consider.

I've got my Deluxe Tinker in my pocket today - it's the biggest SAK I own (I also have an Explorer. Same number of layers but still thinner). When I put a Spartan in my pocket tomorrow it's going to feel like I lost weight!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $36.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $33.76
Below Goal: $266.24
Site Currency: USD
 11%