Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Raker knife from Ray Kirk- MODEM KILLER!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Raker knife from Ray Kirk- MODEM KILLER!
on: May 07, 2014, 05:07:34 PM
Last fall Ray from Raker Knives & Tools sent me a knife.  I have been meaning to do a pictorial of it ever since to thank him for such an awesome piece.  On numerous occasions I have photographed this knife, never managing to do it justice, and the words fail me (yes, even me!) when I try to describe just how exquisite this knife is.  The craftsmanship is beyond description here, and I'm not just saying that because I'm very proud to call Ray a friend.

All too much lately I have been disillusioned with handmade knives as they are overly simplified (sharpened pry bar with paracord wrapped handle or g-10 slabs bolted on) and what they call trademark imperfections of a handmade knife.  That's code for sloppiness in many cases, which is understandable in some cases since the maker works 80 hours a week at a regular job then grinds until midnight to get stuff out, but for many that charge hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for a piece that won't be ready for 18 months.... well, there's too much of that out these these days, and as such I have lost interest in many handmade knives.

This knife from Ray has changed that.  It is simple, elegant and precise.  It also begs to be worked, and it has found it's way into my pocket on more than a few adventures, and those are by no means the last.  I imagine you are bored of me talking about how beautiful this knife is and want to see it- well, here goes.  You may want to hold your modem's hand, because here are the best photos I've taken of this knife over several occasions.

Ray buddy, if you are reading this, I am sorry it has taken so long to get this done, and I am sorry my meager photobuggery can't capture how amazing this knife really is.  Thank you for this amazing present- I guarantee you this will be treasured (and used!) as long as I am able!  I have no doubt this is a knife that my nephews and their kids will enjoy and use for generations to come long after I am gone!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Raker knife from Ray Kirk- MODEM KILLER!
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:27:33 PM
 :drool: That is gorgeous!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:29:10 PM
Wow, that really is a thing of beauty!  :salute:  Fantastic job Ray!!!

Offline Raker

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:34:16 PM
Grant, I am almost speechless.  Almost. :) 
Didn't really expect to see it on the net.  I am very glad that you enjoy using it.  I do enjoy working on the smaller knives and that is about what I carry.  Used mostly for cutting string, opening mail, and cleaning finger nails.  All the important stuff that a knife is supposed to do.
I do appreciate it and need to spend a bit more time on this site.  There is always something good going on. 
Am glad we are friends and hopefully, we can make it back to the SHOT show again this next time. 
R

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:38:56 PM
Hey Ray,

Is that full shank into the wood handle or about how far into the handle does the steel go? 

I agree.  It is beautiful and the shape is excellent!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:22 PM
Wow... That's just plain sexy  :drool:

Like the look of that sheath, too  :tu:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:13:08 PM
Grant, I am almost speechless.  Almost. :) 
Didn't really expect to see it on the net.  I am very glad that you enjoy using it.  I do enjoy working on the smaller knives and that is about what I carry.  Used mostly for cutting string, opening mail, and cleaning finger nails.  All the important stuff that a knife is supposed to do.
I do appreciate it and need to spend a bit more time on this site.  There is always something good going on. 
Am glad we are friends and hopefully, we can make it back to the SHOT show again this next time.

You know Ray, that is one of the great things about you.  A lot of guys would have sent the knife out hoping to get some exposure and promote their business, make more sales and ratchet their names and asking prices up another notch.

You just sent a nice knife to a friend knowing he would use and appreciate it.  Well, that friend may be a jackass, but he figures that the work of truly great craftsmen like yourself needs to be spread high loud and mighty!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:23:03 PM
Beautiful!

Offline Raker

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 06:43:08 PM
Tried to reply with the cell phone but looks like it didn't take.
The tang of this knife is about .25" dia and goes just past the 1/16" pin in the handle.  The blade is forged from a .43" dia round bar of 52100.  The handle is a rectangle block when attached.  It is drilled and the end squared to fit the bolster on the blade.  A notch is ground in the tang very close to the end.   K&G epoxy is used and spread on both the tang and inside the hole.  When the tang is inserted, it pushes out all the air and excess epoxy for a solid fit.  Usually the next day or so, I will profile the handle and complete the knife.
They are small enough that you can put the sheath in your pocket or wear it on your belt.  I wear overalls a lot so it goes into the side pocket. 
One of the main reasons I like this style knife is that they are so easy to clean and there is minimal contact area between the wood and the steel.  An area that is prone to cause rust.  With the epoxy in the connection, it is almost impossible to trap moisture in it.  Plus, they are also very light weight for the blade length.  I try to keep the extra ounces off all my blades when possible. 
Glad you all like the style and it is a beautiful day here in Eastern Oklahoma. 
R

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
She's a beauty.

clean and simple.
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:00 PM
Damn that's gorgeous:)

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:24:21 PM
Very nice knife! Love polished blades!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:17 AM
Now that thing is definitely a beaut! I imagine that it cuts even better than it looks with that steel on her, what a great choice that you don't see too often. Do you have a wesbite that we can check out and how would we go about ordering a few of your blades?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:28 AM
That knife is :drool: worthy.  :salute:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:09 AM
You should see it in person.  It's even better.

It's also amazingly light but feels solid.  It's really quite a fantastic piece and it cuts like a banshee!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 03:41:20 AM
You should see it in person.  It's even better.

It's also amazingly light but feels solid.  It's really quite a fantastic piece and it cuts like a banshee!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Oh yea, Ball Bearing steel makes a phenomenal blade!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 01:48:46 PM
Sweet blade Grant!
Raker did some sweet work there.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 02:19:31 PM
I like the look of the polished blade and the rough parts, the colour of the steel.  :drool:
The wood looks wonderful, very rich and solid. It looks very well crafted.

But I just can't get myself to like the design. The forms are totally off and I find the single rivet disturbing. But that is my subjective opinion. Just not my cup of tea.  :shrug:

So I say: Congratulations Grant on a great knife.  :tu:
It is a great work of craftmanship, no doubt about that. But it is your knife, and you can rest assured I am not going take it from you.  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 04:06:41 PM
Ordinarily I would agree with you.  I love little fixed blades (I've mentioned that a time or two in the past!) but I'm usually more into modern designs and artificial materials.  However, my main interest is that it works, and so far this little knife has not let me down and cuts like a much larger blade.

Truly a beautiful little knife- and I have more than a few!

Nemesis Arch Ally

CRKT Keydashi

CRKT SPEW

Ranger Knives Little Bird

Just a few that I could find in a quick search...

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 04:19:50 PM
That is one pretty little knife for sure! :tu:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
I always enjoy looking at craftsmen's work and passion.  This little knife sure reflects Rakers love of knife making.  I only recently got interested in fixed blade knives and while I find the little ones very appealing my hand doesn't agree.  This little one looks to fit the hand like it was custom made for yours.  Love the blade shape and finish on the great little knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 06:07:28 PM
Ordinarily I would agree with you.  I love little fixed blades (I've mentioned that a time or two in the past!) but I'm usually more into modern designs and artificial materials.  However, my main interest is that it works, and so far this little knife has not let me down and cuts like a much larger blade.

CRKT SPEW

Just to clarify (I am not sure you understood me):
I love the classic materials, but I am not the guy for little knives. Especially when the handle becomes too small. I have large hands and to give a housenumber:
My Opinel no 8 is the smallest comfortable grip. I like my 111mm SAK, because it fits perfectly, where the 91mm has a lot more tools but is not for extended cutting.
I find it hard to judge the size from pictures, but I would love a design like the SPEW made with the wood and the blade material from the Raker knife, for example.

This is of course all a matter of taste!  :tu:

Offline Raker

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 08:55:36 PM
dmanuel, I do have a web site and you can google my name for it.

rt1969,
The small knives are forged from round bar so they can be made with any blade design that I want to make them.  I have made a few of the wharncliff style blades and they are especially useful for cutting rope and other similar materials.
 The small knives are not designed for the heavier cutting chores and not intended to be used as such.  They are very light for blade length and the wood handles are lighter than a lot of other handle materials.  Even some woods are a lot lighter than others.
The single pin through a notch in the end of the tang that fits tight into the wood is more than adequate as the epoxy I use is also used for golf club heads and is extremely strong.  Since the air is bled out the holes in the handles that is drilled for the pin, it is an extremely durable way to secure the handle.  This construction design is used on all my hidden tang integrals.  The only difference is the tang dia of the different size round bars I use to make them with.  The pin material I use is Inconel and I have had a large quantity of it for close to 40 years.  It that has been stored outside in the weather and it is just like new to this day. 
I know this web site is about multi tools and I have enjoyed being associated with Grant and his many forum members.  I always considered the knife a multi Use tool.  That is why there are so many different users with so many different likes and dislikes.  Just depends on what they are used for and who is using it. 
I also read what is said and consider any advice about my products and whether they may be useful or have already been tried and are no longer applicable to what I am trying to do.  I still have a few "DUH" moments left in my life and will continue to learn from others and by making mistakes. 
Thanks again for your input and for supporting this web site.  Grant is a good man and am glad I can call him a friend.
R

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 09:38:29 PM
Raker, many thanks for your post. I hope you did not read my posts as a critique of your work.
I say it once again: This knife oozes craftmanship! Very well done!  :tu:

I like it when a smith has the courage to show some of the rough surfaces and not polish everything. That shows the soul of the knive!  :)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 09:45:59 PM
That knife is just stunningly beautiful. :drool:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Offline Raker

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 10:04:39 PM
RT1969
The only critique I could see was about the single pin.  Since there is no way that a man can pull the blade out, even if it wasn't glued. They would have to shear the pin.  That is not a manual possibility.  I just wanted to clarify that point about the construction of the handle.  :) 
R

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:36 PM
Epoxy can be insanely strong, and I have no doubts that the stuff Ray used will never fail on that knife.  The pin wouldn't really even be needed with it to be honest.

You are a true craftsman Ray, and I'm proud to have one of your ring tools!  :salute:

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:35 PM
Ah, I understand what you mean. I meant the remark with the single pin in a visual way - it looked odd to me. Not because it would not hold, but because it looked a little lost. I am used to the grips with two or three fat rivets.
Sorry if that led to some confusion.

And I use a Mora with no rivet in the plastic handle, and it is holding up wonderfully. Epoxy can give a marvellous bond.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:30 PM
Since Ray is too shy to post it....

http://www.rakerknives.com/

:D

...  Grant is a good man and am glad I can call him a friend.

Funny, most people have an entirely different word to call me!  :D

I'm glad to have friends like you Ray- if you judge a man by the company they keep I'd be in serious trouble without you!  :D

Def

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:33:01 PM
Great looking knife Grant,  :drool:

+ interesting conversation in this thread  :salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99