Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your dream Truck/4x4?

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: What's your dream Truck/4x4?
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:19 PM
Good one 67! I miss my (ex wife's) XJ, it was a red '87 Wagoneer with fake woodgrain sides, wished I still had it. The EFI 4 liters are good engines. :)

Did you say '87 Wagoneer?  That was the second XJ I owned.  Used to be a farm truck and the lady hauled her minature pony around in the back.  It was NOT a pretty sight to see when we were cleaning it out.  The pony had knocked out the rear window and the grains she fed the pony had started to sprout.  Put a 4.5" lift and 33x12.50 craigslist tires under it.

(Image removed from quote.)

My first XJ was a 1990 bought stock for $800 and had it lifted 4.5" on 33x13.50 Swampers in about a week and a half after purchase.

Pre-kid funds were a little easier to work with for mods.

Nice! Making me miss the old red one even more. The Swampers are pretty unstoppable at 5 psi.  :) I understand about the pre kids, but the post kids funds are a little better too...  :cheers:

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 10:10:10 PM
Well... a truck or a 4x4 would be nice ... but on prices over here for gas - and the gas they use drink at 50 miles - not the truck would be the problem but the price of the gas...  :assimilate: :megaslap:

US cars are have a good reputation over here. Solidly built and dependable.

I love my VW Polo, the car only needs about 5 litres at 100 kilometres  :D  :ahhh
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 10:30:33 PM
Ok, you're probably wondering what it is eh?  It's a 1991 Toyota Hilux, 4 door diesel

Been there, done that.

The 2.8L (model "3L", how's that for confusing?) diesel is a "decent" donk, but a little gutless when loaded up, drinks like a scot at highway speeds, and (in Australia) prone to overheating without after market cooling systems.

A popular Mod over here is to drop in a 3.8 Commodore (uh, Buick to the 'mericans) motor. 
Apparently it is relatively straightforward, and gives it significantly more berries.

If you're serious, have a look at getting one sent from Australia (or Africa I think? There's a few places where they are common dog)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-perth/cars-vans-utes/1991-toyota-hilux/1099731178

Now I've got the 2004 Factory Turbo, last of the Japanese models.
All the fruit for comfort and touring, but the engine is simple enough for home maintenance/roadside repairs, but modern enough (???) for reasonable economy and power.

If it has a downside (and this is debatable) it is the IFS, which can be a little weaker if you are into heavy off roading (but much nicer for touring on the blacktop, or light unsealed roads)

It was and is my dream truck, I spent a fortune on it, wash it regularly, and think of it when I making love to my wife.

However....I'm scared to hurt it, and drive my other, far less sentimental (and much easier to replace) truck everywhere instead. (which is a carby petrol. It drinks like 2 scots who can see the barman reaching for the bell)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:43:16 PM by Sea Monster »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 11:57:07 PM
Ok, you're probably wondering what it is eh?  It's a 1991 Toyota Hilux, 4 door diesel

Been there, done that.

The 2.8L (model "3L", how's that for confusing?) diesel is a "decent" donk, but a little gutless when loaded up, drinks like a scot at highway speeds, and (in Australia) prone to overheating without after market cooling systems.

A popular Mod over here is to drop in a 3.8 Commodore (uh, Buick to the 'mericans) motor. 
Apparently it is relatively straightforward, and gives it significantly more berries.

If you're serious, have a look at getting one sent from Australia (or Africa I think? There's a few places where they are common dog)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-perth/cars-vans-utes/1991-toyota-hilux/1099731178

Now I've got the 2004 Factory Turbo, last of the Japanese models.
All the fruit for comfort and touring, but the engine is simple enough for home maintenance/roadside repairs, but modern enough (???) for reasonable economy and power.

If it has a downside (and this is debatable) it is the IFS, which can be a little weaker if you are into heavy off roading (but much nicer for touring on the blacktop, or light unsealed roads)

It was and is my dream truck, I spent a fortune on it, wash it regularly, and think of it when I making love to my wife.

However....I'm scared to hurt it, and drive my other, far less sentimental (and much easier to replace) truck everywhere instead. (which is a carby petrol. It drinks like 2 scots who can see the barman reaching for the bell)
Hmmm, I wonder how importing from Down under would be?  A good buddy of mine imports and sells cars from Japan, and there are a few other businesses that also do that here.  I've never heard of anyone importing from Australia, but I imagine it's been done.  I do know guys that have sold vehicles that went to Africa.

LOL, my V8 Jeep drinks like a bar full of Scots when someone else is buying the drinks!!!  :rofl:

If I were to get one, I would want a solid axle.  It would be used off-road, and in my personal experience of wheeling with guys that have IFS, the solid always seems to perform much better.  A buddy of mine that has a Nissan Xterra is in the process of doing an SAS on it.

One thing that kind of scares me about importing is I don't actually get to drive or see the vehicle.  There's also a chance of damage on the trip over here.  My buddy that imports them had a car pretty badly damaged on the boat.  He had insurance on it for the trip, but it was a major hassle for him to get the claim started.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 02:22:57 AM
My opinion changes a lot. But I come back to three. A done up modern Tacoma, mild lift, trd supercharger, you know the usual. Or a new Dodge Power Wagon. But the more likely is a late 80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the 360 in it. I've been looking at those for my next vehicle actually. Some great options listed already
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 03:00:38 AM
Does one of these count? I just :drool:  whenever I see one.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 03:35:39 AM
Does one of these count? I just :drool:  whenever I see one.

Yes they so count.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 09:59:43 AM
Some will see this as odd coming from a Brit, but I've always liked the Dodge Power Wagons. I just don't like the price of them now  :ahhh
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:40 AM
If this counts, I would love own probably has my daily, a beautiful, and kind of powerful , the late 80's Toyota Tacoma peaks pike... I would be so happy with one :) :) :)

That thing is beautiful....

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 10:45:43 AM
Some will see this as odd coming from a Brit, but I've always liked the Dodge Power Wagons. I just don't like the price of them now  :ahhh

My gf neighbor has one dodge, from 2013 and how it's possible to not like that thing, is massively beautiful mate!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 12:01:20 PM

My gf neighbor has one dodge, from 2013 and how it's possible to not like that thing, is massively beautiful mate!

I was thinking more of this age

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:08 PM
Ok, that looks even better!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
If I add it to my Dream Vehicles list can you add more photos?

:salute:

de Offline matzesu

Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 02:50:39 PM
Easy to answer, our 1974 Mercedes Unimog 406
Whit insane 84 hours powers :)

Some Pictures :

Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline twiliter

us Offline twiliter

Reply #45 on: January 09, 2016, 03:04:39 PM
Easy to answer, our 1974 Mercedes Unimog 406
Whit insane 84 hours powers :)

Some Pictures :

That's a beast!  :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #46 on: January 09, 2016, 03:09:33 PM
How did I forget the 'mog  :facepalm:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 09, 2016, 03:12:41 PM
Now that is cool
I used to drive one years ago when I worked in forestry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:32 PM
If any one of the car makers in the states made a smaller crew cab pickup w/ 4 doors, stick shift, smaller diesel motor..i'd buy one in a heartbeat..

In all honesty, all of the newer trucks are a little too big for a small dude like me. I'd probably buy a Subaru Forester or a Mazda CX-5 and get a utility trailer  :D
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 07:42:01 PM
Definitely go with a Unimog.

:gimme:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:07 AM
There are two dream trucks that come to mind for me instantly, and those would be Unimogs (in virtually any form) and the Mercedes G55- maybe even the 6x6 version if price is no limit.

But if we are talking about something I would like to have as a daily driver for the rest of my life, I think I would have to take the truck I grew up with, a 1974 GMC Jimmy in Yuba Gold.

If I could only find one in decent shape I would do whatever I had to to buy it.  I would then spend an awful pile of money fixing it up and protecting it so that I had it forever.

My parents bought that truck shortly after I was born and had it up until I was 15, when they sold it as the corrosive air here in NS was eating it away horribly.  It was many years before I forgave them for getting rid of it, as to me it was a family member.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 01:34:41 AM
My wife told me last night that she seen something about Jeep coming back out with a truck in 2019. 

I would like either a Dodge or Ford F150 four door one sometime but the prices are just too high and I didn't win the Powerball!  I would also want the plow package and back blade as I am getting too old and tired of snowblowing all the time!  :)

I had a Dodge Dakota four door a long time ago but I don't think they still make them!  It was nice size and fit in my garage!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:28 AM
I'd love to get my mitts on a Volkswagen Westfalia Syncro.....a mobile home that can go almost anywhere.

* Syncro.jpg (Filesize: 10.05 KB)
Barry

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #53 on: January 20, 2016, 07:51:59 AM
I was very disappointed when the deal to import Mahindra trucks from India fell through.  They were supposed to be built like the Toyota hi-lux / Tacoma from the 1980's, as far as simplicity and utility goes.  They were supposed to have the cargo hooks on the outside of the bed and all those sorts of touches that you can't get anymore, because, more car-pooling moms drive trucks than ranchers these days and those moms don't like trucks that grind and squeak and smell like a wet dog, but that's what a real truck is.  I believe it was Mahindra that tried to go around the exclusive importer, who then sued them.  The result was nobody gets to bring them to the U.S. and none of the other truck companies seem interested in making a heavy duty truck that gets better than 40 miles a gallon.  The Indians have got them and we can't have them here but that's what I wanted and still want.
 :twak: :rant:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:16 AM
I remember some mahindra products from a few years ago and they were not that good, for the price. You are probably better off with a 1980 Toyota.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 20, 2016, 05:22:41 PM
I was very disappointed when the deal to import Mahindra trucks from India fell through.  They were supposed to be built like the Toyota hi-lux / Tacoma from the 1980's, as far as simplicity and utility goes.  They were supposed to have the cargo hooks on the outside of the bed and all those sorts of touches that you can't get anymore, because, more car-pooling moms drive trucks than ranchers these days and those moms don't like trucks that grind and squeak and smell like a wet dog, but that's what a real truck is.  I believe it was Mahindra that tried to go around the exclusive importer, who then sued them.  The result was nobody gets to bring them to the U.S. and none of the other truck companies seem interested in making a heavy duty truck that gets better than 40 miles a gallon.  The Indians have got them and we can't have them here but that's what I wanted and still want.

Suzy Soccermom doesn't want to drive a stick shift either.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #56 on: January 20, 2016, 06:02:30 PM

Suzy Soccermom doesn't want to drive a stick shift either.

Well, neither do I.  I prefer an auto transmission so I can drink my coffee while driving and not have to mess with clutch and transmission.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:46 PM
Latest article I found on the matter. http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1097797_no-seriously-mahindra-is-planning-another-run-at-the-u-s-market

They're at least halfway decent.  They make good tractors and industrial vehicles, and they are the licensed manufacturer of Jeeps in India.

ToolJoe, if Mahindra builds these trucks in the U.S. they would be exactly what you said you wanted, and I quote,
"If any one of the car makers in the states made a smaller crew cab pickup w/ 4 doors, stick shift, smaller diesel motor..i'd buy one in a heartbeat.."
Mahindra.jpg
* Mahindra.jpg (Filesize: 42.93 KB)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:37:06 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #58 on: January 20, 2016, 06:30:07 PM
There are two dream trucks that come to mind for me instantly, and those would be Unimogs (in virtually any form) and the Mercedes G55- maybe even the 6x6 version if price is no limit.

But if we are talking about something I would like to have as a daily driver for the rest of my life, I think I would have to take the truck I grew up with, a 1974 GMC Jimmy in Yuba Gold.

If I could only find one in decent shape I would do whatever I had to to buy it.  I would then spend an awful pile of money fixing it up and protecting it so that I had it forever.

My parents bought that truck shortly after I was born and had it up until I was 15, when they sold it as the corrosive air here in NS was eating it away horribly.  It was many years before I forgave them for getting rid of it, as to me it was a family member.

Def
I thought this was your dream, beefed up with a camping top?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 06:33:51 PM
Hmm :think: I had one of my dream trucks. One day while driving to work I saw this truck sitting on a hill I just thought it was sooo amazing, but I didn't know what it was. So a few years later I exsplaned it to my father in law and he drove me by something and he said is that it? Omg that's it(not the same one I saw but same make) a 53 Willys jeepster! We spoke to the mother of the owner, and she needed a new water heater, so she spoke to her son and we made a deal. The inline 4was shot, and we had another motor that we made a trade, a 79 corvette 350! Talk about a tight fit, I can keep going with details but I'd be here all day, but we had to sell it, she was a beauty!
   As for trucks now a day, I like that one that "the Rock" had in the fast and furious movie, especially the second one he was in, that was a pickup, that thing looked nasty! >:D
JR
Here's a pic of the one I described, not the one we worked on,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%