Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SHOT 2020- Combat Wipes

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
SHOT 2020- Combat Wipes
on: January 27, 2020, 07:54:31 PM
Okay, on the surface, this seems like a pretty pointless product.

Then, when you spend some time with it, it starts to make sense, especially when you factor in this important story:

Time and again since I started Multitool.org (and before in the old KF/SOSAK days) we arranged for care packages to be sent to troops serving overseas.  We always have been, and always will be all about supporting the troops, and at one point I asked one of my contacts with the Canadian military what kinds of things we should be including in these packages- ie while they like to get SAKs and other goodies, what do they actually need?  One of the top answers I got was Baby Wipes.

Enter Combat Wipes.

From their website:

COMBAT WIPES by Outdoor Hygiene a veteran-owned company develops and produces 100% biodegradable, earth-friendly products  that ensure your hygiene while experiencing the outdoors.

Created by a team with 15 years in hi-tech textiles, Combat Wipes protect the environment and your skin simultaneously.

We focus on uniquely textured cloths in a variety of sizes and specs, and lotions, that will refresh chafed, tired or sweaty skin and will then disappear back into the earth.

Our aim is to pack our products in the most convenient-to use packs in order to avoid using more than you actually need, saving you time, money and waste.

If you are travelling, backpacking, hiking, camping, cycling, hunting, fishing, farming, horseback riding, rock climbing, golfing, canoeing, exercising in general, firefighting, mining, oil pumping, soldiers, having fun at the festivals, or just

laying-back in your back yard, these are the products for you!

Now let's get away from the soldier serving in a war zone motif and bring it a little closer to home- I have worked in many restaurants when I was younger and I have had hand washing and cross contamination issued drilled into me for decades. As such, I am a bit of a germophobe and compulsive hand washer, and because of that I carry baby wipes in the Jeep, and there's usually a smaller pack in whatever bag I'm taking with me on hikes, bikes and kayak adventures, and, let's face it, I'd rather have something that is a bit more environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and yes, also a bit more manly looking.   :facepalm:

I think I may have to look closer into these- they may not be as exciting as SOG's rebrand or Gerber's butterfly machete, but I can tell you that the Combat Wipes really appeal to me.  Check them out at https://www.combatwipes.com/.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SHOT 2020- Combat Wipes
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:49 PM
I would think they would be great to have in the van/car and pack (the most obvious) while traveling as the unexpected is always rearing it’s ugly head up.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:40:56 PM
As far as military, I was on that side but Navy.  Equipment for making freshwater has improved, but I do remember a few times on deployments of being on “water hours”.  It was not fun and baby wipes were awesome to have.

I wouldn’t consider myself a germaphobe, but some things are just sensible for personal health and hygiene, especially during flu season.  You know certain things in public are rarely cleaned or disinfected.  Having something to protect yourself after using is important.  I carry 2 individually wrapped antibacterial wipes in my pocket organizer.  I also have a small pack of baby wipes and one of antibacterial wipes in my car.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:15:26 PM
I usually keep a travel pack of Wet Ones with me.  At least they don't have a picture of a toddler on them, but I would still rather have something that I know i biodegradable.  I am not a tree hugger, but I am someone that can appreciate keeping the world a bit cleaner (pardon the pun) than before.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 05:13:49 AM
 :iagree: The world is too much polluted already, we do not need to add to that. Will check them out  :tu:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 07:21:06 AM
Do female (elite) soldiers buy the Commando or the Gaia ones?

Marketing is confusing!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:56:22 AM
Back when I smoked hand rolled cigarettes, something like this would have had value (sucks to smoke a grease covered cigarette). Now that I quit, not so much :-\

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 03:49:48 PM
laying-back in your back yard, these are the products for you!

That’s funny right there :rofl:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 03:51:00 PM
Alternative:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
 :rofl:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 04:01:58 AM
I usually keep a travel pack of Wet Ones with me.

Another fan of Wet Ones here.

The biggest problem I see with the Commando Combat Wipes is the price.  ATM, they are listing on Amazon for $7.58 for a pack of 25 wipes, i.e. about $0.30 per wipe.  Wally World has Wet Ones for $1.47 for a pack of 20 wipes, i.e. just over $0.07 per wipe.  So, the Commando Combat Wipes are about four times as expensive as Wet Ones.  I could see paying a bit more (even, let's say, 50% more) for a product like this that is biodegradable (and of course manlier), but not 300% more.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 02:32:30 PM
 :iagree:
And Wet-Ones is the current carry!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30