Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22 561

No Life Club Posts: 2,864
Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:40:53 AM »
The Combo Edge Challenge

Everywhere I turn, I see partially serrated blades - The LM Signal, The Victorinox Soldier - they're everywhere!  But if you hang around the MT forums anywhere and ask any seasoned user, they don't like combo edge blades, and they go to great lengths to avoid them.  Hang around longer, and get the chance to hear from a MT or knife designer as to why they make them this way... and they say they're better, can do more, and stay sharper longer. 

When I first got into folding knives, I thought so too.  I had friends that would fashion a camp stove out a #10 can and a combo edge knife, and before long I was doing the same thing.  But ever since I got into MT's and SAKs, I preferred to have the serrated and plain edges on separate blades.  Then I got the 08 Soldier. And then I got the Skeletool.  And then I got to thinking.

It's not that these knives won't work.  They'll do a majority of the things I need to do.  Why can't I get by with a blade with a Combo edge for most day-to-day tasks, especially if I like the tool overall?

Welcome to the Combo Edge Challenge.  Apropos of the blade design, it will run for 30 days from the beginning of February 2022 through the 2nd day of March 2022.

Any knife or multitool with a partially serrated blade would qualify for this 30DC

In case we don't get enough participants to make a new badge, several tools which would qualify already have badges
Signal,
Swisstool Spirit (with butter blade),
Leatherman MUT,
Spyderco,
SOG Powerlock
Victorinox Soldier or 111mm
Skeletool
Gerber MP 400
or even the Discontinued MT or Off Brand MT badges

In addition, there are some new and interesting tools that folks may have gotten that would qualify.... like the Leatherman K2.... or some oldies and goodies, like a Gerber Paraframe 2, which is a favorite among hikers.

This is your chance to take out the knife or multitool that has a partially serrated blade that you haven't used much and put it through its paces. 

Whos in?   :woohoo:
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 01:42:09 AM »
Combo Edge Challenge Participants

1. Elevenblade
No Life Club Posts: 3,414
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
Combo Edge Challenge Participants

1. Elevenblade
1. Elevenblade
2. SurgeUK

They don't like it up 'em!
No Life Club Posts: 4,083
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:42:06 AM »
I’d really like to do this challenge but unfortunately clashes with the 90 day soldier challenge so next time guys

Another excellent Felix Immler video, straight vs combo blade

https://youtu.be/GZsniw58pEc
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
I’d really like to do this challenge but unfortunately clashes with the 90 day soldier challenge so next time guys

Another excellent Felix Immler video, straight vs combo blade

https://youtu.be/GZsniw58pEc

:( Next time then. Hopefully this will be an annual challenge in the February-March combo 30 day interval.

I watched that video with great interest. I'm glad to see that both performed equally. But I think that Felix's sharpening skills may have leveled the playing field in some respects.  I also wonder if going through each task in sequence with each knife individually would have given him a different overall impression.

I was also hoping that he would address the reason that Victorinox decided to put the combo edge on most of their 111mm OHO models preferentially. (or at least someone would ask in the comments. He's responsive to reasonable questions and comments.

Speaking of Victorinox... The 2008 Soldier is a combo edge.  :pok:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:35:00 PM by ElevenBlade »
No Life Club Posts: 4,083
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »

:( Next time then. Hopefully this will be an annual challenge in the February-March combo 30 day interval.

I watched that video with great interest. I'm glad to see that both performed equally. But I think that Felix's sharpening skills may have leveled the playing field in some respects.  I also wonder if going through each task in sequence with each knife individually would have given him a different overall impression.

I was also hoping that he would address the reason that Victorinox decided to put the combo edge on most of their 111mm OHO models preferentially. (or at least someone would ask in the comments. He's responsive to reasonable questions and comments.

Speaking of Victorinox... The 2008 Soldier is a combo edge.  :pok:
I’m thinking of using the 2008 too EB

…another proposal has been put forward on the soldier challenge, so maybe (just maybe) there’s a solution but of course would require agreement from all involved, mods etc :dunno:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=87754.msg2267871#msg2267871
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,942 Born to multitask.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »
I am in. One way or the other. More on that later. :think:

1. Elevenblade
2. SurgeUK
3. ReamerPunch
Sr. Member Posts: 302
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 07:21:10 PM »
I am in I have a par serr Reeves Sebenza. If that doesnt work I have plently of Spydercos

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $123.79
PayPal Fees: $7.60
Net Balance: $116.19
Below Goal: $183.81
Site Currency: USD
39%