Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do we have on the way?

Benner · 26150 · 1393525

gb Offline Steve Cuthbertson

• "Why are your knives so sharp?" Like, WTF dude?
Re: What do we have on the way?
Reply #25260 on: August 22, 2020, 12:38:50 PM
Amazon have just informed me that my new 5.11 Rush 24 backpack in double-tap is arriving today...
I hope I've made the right decision, I've never spent this much on a bag before! Tight as a duck's arse, I am!
rush-24-dt.jpg
* rush-24-dt.jpg (Filesize: 41.69 KB)
SAK - Champ, Huntsman, Grand Prix, Sentry, Classic SD, Swiss Card Classic. Multitools - LM Skeletool CX, LM PST II, LM Wave. Flashlights: Thorfire TG06S, Lumintop Tool AAA, Maglite LED 2xAA. Knives: Sanrenmu 7078MUX-GKJ & GVK

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25261 on: August 23, 2020, 04:05:26 PM
I picked up a 5.11 backpack ( forget the model ) in used condition for my partners son.  He loads or loaded his school books in it and so far this thing is holding well.  He destroyed his last two back packs with heavy books.  Lets just say he is not gentle with back packs. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25262 on: August 23, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
I really like the layout of the exterior pockets. For an everyday use pack, it's better than my current surplus pack.

I had to go with a USGI surplus three-day assault pack when I stripped the zipper on my old Wenger (which surprising a $15 pack, at the time, lasted me 4 plus years, and I still use it as a laptop bag and it's going in 7); and a strap ripped off of two cheap packs I had in the course of 2.5 months.  Our technical manuals and textbooks we used in mechatronics weighed close to 30 pounds, and there was quite a few hand tools in my pack as well, since other programs/classes always stole/broke all our tools; and I usually brought my own from home.  Even now, I use it to carry camping gear and fencing tools, and it still looks new; even after being in the dirt, dragged through brush thickets, hung on every blackberry bush in the mountain, etc.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25263 on: August 28, 2020, 10:53:59 AM
Ordered Knife Engineering by Dr. Larrin Thomas from https://knifesteelnerds.com/
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25264 on: August 28, 2020, 04:02:51 PM
A new keyring torch. I haven't had one for a long time  :twak:

https://www.heinnie.com/fenix-e01-v2

I think I may have got the last one (showing out of stock now  :dunno: )
They don't like it up 'em!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #25265 on: September 02, 2020, 04:56:52 AM
After a week of no updates on my Rebar the tracking finally updated! Left the international distribution centre, so I guess maybe Thursday or Friday? I've never had a USPS parcel come through Royal Mail instead of Parcel Force though, I'm hoping it's smooth sailing from here on  :woohoo:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25266 on: September 02, 2020, 12:28:45 PM
After a week of no updates on my Rebar the tracking finally updated! Left the international distribution centre, so I guess maybe Thursday or Friday? I've never had a USPS parcel come through Royal Mail instead of Parcel Force though, I'm hoping it's smooth sailing from here on  :woohoo:
Welcome to my world mate.

I'm waiting for a package, from a fellow member in the US, which was sent on the 7th August and, according to the USPS tracking, left a "transit point at Heathrow" on the 19th August. However, according to Royal Mail Tracking it hasn't even arrived yet  :dunno:

The last one I had from the states, from another member, took a week to get to me, from Heathrow, and that was USPS - RM (not Parcel Force)

I was hoping to get the package before I leave for Italy on Friday but it's not looking likely  ::)

• No Life Club
Reply #25267 on: September 02, 2020, 02:48:20 PM
Welcome to my world mate.

I'm waiting for a package, from a fellow member in the US, which was sent on the 7th August and, according to the USPS tracking, left a "transit point at Heathrow" on the 19th August. However, according to Royal Mail Tracking it hasn't even arrived yet  :dunno:

The last one I had from the states, from another member, took a week to get to me, from Heathrow, and that was USPS - RM (not Parcel Force)

I was hoping to get the package before I leave for Italy on Friday but it's not looking likely  ::)

You're not filling me with confidence Surge, I'm expecting two tools through them  :twak:

Tool based package on the way and you're going to Italy? What was that address again?  :whistle:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25268 on: September 02, 2020, 04:29:24 PM
You're not filling me with confidence Surge, I'm expecting two tools through them  :twak:

Tool based package on the way and you're going to Italy? What was that address again?  :whistle:
Don't worry too much  ;)

The delay seems to start when it lands here and needs to get from HWDC to the sorting office (via Customs charges, naturally  ::) )

I'm waiting for two as well (one package though) and unless it arrives at my private, gated island community (Parkhurst  :rofl: ) by tomorrow then I won't see it for another week or so  :ahhh

Thankfully, my P.A (delivery buddy) is up to speed on this matter and will look after it until my return  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #25269 on: September 02, 2020, 04:57:29 PM
Don't worry too much  ;)

The delay seems to start when it lands here and needs to get from HWDC to the sorting office (via Customs charges, naturally  ::) )

I'm waiting for two as well (one package though) and unless it arrives at my private, gated island community (Parkhurst  :rofl: ) by tomorrow then I won't see it for another week or so  :ahhh

Thankfully, my P.A (delivery buddy) is up to speed on this matter and will look after it until my return  :tu:

Don't you go mentioning custom charges to me, I was hoping this Royal Mail lark would spare me the school yard shakedown  :facepalm:

So I loaded the car with balaclava and crowbar for no good reason? Inconsiderate Londoners and their gated mansions  :rant:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25270 on: September 02, 2020, 05:07:27 PM
Don't you go mentioning custom charges to me, I was hoping this Royal Mail lark would spare me the school yard shakedown  :facepalm:

So I loaded the car with balaclava and crowbar for no good reason? Inconsiderate Londoners and their gated mansions  :rant:
The last one cost me another £18 but I got a Mini  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh so, worth it really  :2tu:

No cheating the revenue I'm afraid (just ask the dozens I deal with EVERY day)

Do you require your shakedown avec/sans gloves and lube  :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #25271 on: September 02, 2020, 06:24:57 PM
I've had my fair share that have snuck through without any fees, though my glory days may be behind me, I'll get ready to take a post shakedown shower  :facepalm:

That's all that's on offer? You soulless government types can't even light a candle nowadays when you violate a man's wallet and god given right to reasonably priced second hand goods?  :facepalm:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25272 on: September 02, 2020, 07:18:22 PM
I've had my fair share that have snuck through without any fees, though my glory days may be behind me, I'll get ready to take a post shakedown shower  :facepalm:

That's all that's on offer? You soulless government types can't even light a candle nowadays when you violate a man's wallet and god given right to reasonably priced second hand goods?  :facepalm:
Yup. That's it. Suck it up buttercup  :pok: (It's not like I get away with it either  ::) )

Sometimes we have newbies who are disillusioned about "helping people  :think: " However, with extensive training and dedicated mentoring they soon learn to become one of us...ONE OF US, ONE OF US  :assimilate:

Like a true Civil Servant; I aspire to mediocrity  :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #25273 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:28 PM
Like a true Civil Servant; I aspire to mediocrity  :D

Hey, so long as we meet our performance requirements and make the day better and/or safer for everyone in our areas of responsibility, that's all we can do.

But yeah, back when I was selling things (which will hopefully be starting up again soonish, I want to greatly thin my collection and free up money), customs would sometimes collect VAT for packages to the UK and to Chako (sorry again for that one time, my friend :().

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25274 on: September 03, 2020, 11:29:50 PM
Some knives, and stuff that isn't knives that I kinda needed

These two were purchased from a member of another forum on eBay.

Schrade USA SP-2 Raider. I like the SP3, which is 3.75" closed, but at 3" the SP2 is better suited for when I want a watch pocket carry of a smaller knife; usually in unison with a larger one.

Pine Knot (by Colonial) Stockman. These used to be bundled with belt buckles in the 1980s. My Granddad has the buckle that would originally have come with this knife. Used, but not abused--I'm definitely adding this to my EDC rotation.

Schrade USA SLW-2 Lake and Walker. Seems to be pretty pricey on the secondary market, but there's a few cheap listings this week, and I was able to get this one for $25, and I've bit on a spare I'm hoping I can get for half that. This isn't the SLW-1, which was limited to just 1000 pieces, and is BG-42 steel with a PE edge. THis is the standard edition, expensive because they were made just two years. Steel is standard 440A.

Now, the non-knife stuff.

New Muck-type boots. Bloody expensive ($186!), but these should far outlast the Muck Mid-Chore I had. They are heavier-duty, steel toe and midsole, as well as highly slip-resistant and have a really good tread design. Not as well insulated (Muck had foam); but hiking in the woods, barbed wire, and jagged metal destroys the foam; and the foam separated from the rubber in my Mucks, destroying their waterproofness. But, they're still good down to -20C/-4F and I wear thick wool socks in the winter anyway.

https://www.dunlopboots.com/en-us/products/dunlop-purofort-plus--full-safety-e762943

My folks and I had a discussion about buying a new PC. I needed 16GB RAM and an i7 or AMD equivalent. The Graphics card and SSD was a huge plus. But, the mid-end gaming PCs are ridiculously expensive (nearly $1000!), and neither my folks nor myself could afford that. But, we came to an agreement with this $380 option, which met most of my requirements.  This is a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010, with i7 (3770, which is definitely older than the current 9700) , 250GB SSD (meaning I will have to look at external HDD/SSD) and 16GB DDR3 RAM. It also has Windows 10 Pro, not Home; which is better in my opinion. It should run most of the games I play with less stress on the system (some are really graphics-intensive), albeit a graphics card would have helped a lot.  It's still a big improvement over the 5-year old i5/8GB/HDD I had, even if the SSD is half my current HDD. It is probably gonna be interim between when I can afford a much better PC. And, being built for business, it should have better components.

I split the savings between a warranty (it's refurbished, meaning a crapshoot) and a new monitor.

HP P24h monitor. It has integrated speakers (which while sound quality isn't great--space is at a huge premium, and cable management is a pain on this desk), better resolution (1920x1080 vs. 1600x900), and is slightly bigger than the old Acer it is replacing.  The Dell only has a VGA connection, I don't know if the speakers will be able to work.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:21:38 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25275 on: September 06, 2020, 12:41:20 AM
What I believe to be a Benchmade Mini Bone Collector. Was only $55 shipped from a member of another forum, so I got it as soon as I could.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25276 on: September 13, 2020, 11:32:52 PM
I’ve had this hat now for like 3yrs and have been putting this project off, but I finally got the Mrs to order me a few of the patches I wanted, I changed some of the coloring but here are the three patches I just ordered, all pvc rather then embroidered! I want a few more but these pvc ones get expensive!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25277 on: September 17, 2020, 04:07:18 AM
This was priced like an ad knife ($12 plus $4 shipping), but it was an official knife Victorinox put out in 1991 to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the Oath of 1291.  Looks like someone never carried or used it, ever.  And the funny part--seller didn't show the inlay until the last photo--I just thought it was another boring ad knife at first.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25278 on: September 22, 2020, 05:28:35 AM
This is a day late.  A Streamlight ProTac 90 arrived yesterday.  It is shown next to 2 Energizer right angle lights.  All of them can be powered by a single AA battery, but the ProTac 90 can be powered with either an AA, AAA, or CR123 battery.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25279 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:40 PM
This is a day late.  A Streamlight ProTac 90 arrived yesterday.  It is shown next to 2 Energizer right angle lights.  All of them can be powered by a single AA battery, but the ProTac 90 can be powered with either an AA, AAA, or CR123 battery.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's why it's a Pro.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25280 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:29 AM

Nice one! I mostly prefer carrying single AA or AAA lights, but all three is even better. Sometimes, I may be out of either AA or AAA, and all three have rechargeable variants, and the rechargeable version of the CR123, the IMR16340 seems to be specifically designed for flashlights.

Any info on the Coyote Tan Energizer? I just found the black one, and I figured at $10, it was worth trying, so I put one on order.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25281 on: September 23, 2020, 04:10:05 AM
And uh, this old school Koehler Bright Star Workmate Flashlight. Despite high-end LEDs now being the thing, they are stil making them.  Just $10 shipped and USA made. I have a thing for old-school industrial flashlights. They might be heavy (thanks to use of D-Cells), and usually pretty dim, but I like them.  Plus, these are heavy enough to be used for self-defense loaded down with two D-Cells.  I wanted one in black with the red bezel (to match their miner's caplights), but yellow is fine. Granddad's Koehler Wheat cap light is 44 years old now, and still works great. Albeit, I have a $20 Maglite with better output than this (even back then) $300 light, and nearly all of my flashlights in a box (barring the old school 6V, D-Cell, and C-Cell lights) don't weigh as much as its lead-acid battery pack.

At least unlike my pathetic dim Fulton USGI light with a mediocre incandescent bulb, the Workmate has a Krypton bulb that puts out a decent (for around the house use) 50 lumens. I bought two at this less than $10 price.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25282 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:59 PM
... Any info on the Coyote Tan Energizer? I just found the black one, and I figured at $10, it was worth trying, so I put one on order.

I don't think the tan Energizer Romeo is made any more, though you can get more information from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-HardCase-Tactical-Compact-Flashlight/dp/B00SMA8Q1K/r

and there are Youtube reviews about it.  It comes with colored filters which screw on the bezel.   

At 75 lumens, the gray Energizer Hardcase you ordered is brighter and has a better pushbutton than the older Romeo.  Have fun with it!
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #25283 on: September 28, 2020, 05:05:08 AM
A Felco No. 9 pruner and a PST and Mini knockoff set.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25284 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:26 PM
Well I finally ordered a new pair of sneakers, it’s only been 6yrs since I got a new pair, and about a year of waiting my turn.. :-\
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25285 on: October 02, 2020, 08:27:43 PM
A WWP Fieldmaster courtesy of Barry Rowland  :hatsoff: (who declined shipping costs, such is his generosity  :clap: )

However, apart from being a Fieldmaster, I have no idea what it looks like, two different scale patterns :dunno:

I don't care TBH, I don't have many cellidor SAKs and, as an ex squaddie, a WWP one is a fine addition  :salute:
Now the waiting game (shipping + Customs to the UK) begins  :facepalm:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #25286 on: October 06, 2020, 06:54:35 AM
And uh, this old school Koehler Bright Star Workmate Flashlight. Despite high-end LEDs now being the thing, they are stil making them.  Just $10 shipped and USA made. I have a thing for old-school industrial flashlights. They might be heavy (thanks to use of D-Cells), and usually pretty dim, but I like them.  Plus, these are heavy enough to be used for self-defense loaded down with two D-Cells.  I wanted one in black with the red bezel (to match their miner's caplights), but yellow is fine. Granddad's Koehler Wheat cap light is 44 years old now, and still works great. Albeit, I have a $20 Maglite with better output than this (even back then) $300 light, and nearly all of my flashlights in a box (barring the old school 6V, D-Cell, and C-Cell lights) don't weigh as much as its lead-acid battery pack.

At least unlike my pathetic dim Fulton USGI light with a mediocre incandescent bulb, the Workmate has a Krypton bulb that puts out a decent (for around the house use) 50 lumens. I bought two at this less than $10 price.

There's something to be said for things that we prefer even when we know they aren't "the best". Sometimes things are just enjoyable to use.

I do find new LED flashlights to be great, except that all the ones I've owned have pushbuttons to turn them on and off, which is usually PCB-mounted. They all drain the batteries when not in use, it seems, as the circuit is always live.

On the way... Victorinox Executive (believe to be discontinued as of very recently). Needed a 74mm in the collection -- and that orange peeler!  :o

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #25287 on: October 06, 2020, 01:51:10 PM
A sweeeeeeet Becker BK2! :dd: 

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #25288 on: October 06, 2020, 02:56:46 PM
i have a couple of glow in the dark spyderco enduras on the way. they are coming from the states so may be some time.

i also have another couple of spydercos comimng from amazon that are waiting on stock.
and the ups man just handed me a box i know contains a manix 2 i will open a little later.

no more knives for me now until 2022.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25289 on: October 06, 2020, 04:15:10 PM
i have a couple of glow in the dark spyderco enduras on the way. they are coming from the states so may be some time.

i also have another couple of spydercos comimng from amazon that are waiting on stock.
and the ups man just handed me a box i know contains a manix 2 i will open a little later.

no more knives for me now until 2022.
You'll love the Manix 2, I do  :tu: (even though I have very little use for a single blade  :dunno: )

GID you say..... :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:04:58 PM by SurgeUk »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31