Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do we have on the way?

Benner · 26150 · 1393547

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: What do we have on the way?
Reply #25650 on: April 09, 2021, 06:56:15 PM
Now that is a nice watch JR  :tu:
Ty, it feels a little funky, cause I’m so used to a divers and there larger and thicker, and this is just a little small, so it’s going to take a little to get used to.. but other then that nice..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25651 on: April 09, 2021, 08:02:29 PM
Ty, it feels a little funky, cause I’m so used to a divers and there larger and thicker, and this is just a little small, so it’s going to take a little to get used to.. but other then that nice..
JR

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25652 on: April 12, 2021, 01:36:50 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25653 on: April 13, 2021, 01:05:46 AM
I don’t know when it’s coming but a HUGE order to start working on the house! Heck just 15 cabinets for the kitchen, and that’s about a 1/4 of items, help :surrender:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25654 on: April 14, 2021, 02:56:11 AM
Well, I just got the Mrs to order me the dual charger which comes with a nice little case but also two other batteries! So, now that I have the orbital sander added to my collection making it 9 tools, I’ll have 4 batteries instead of just the two and I can charge two on this along with a 3rd on the original, I’d say that’s a good ratio, no?
JR

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25655 on: April 17, 2021, 05:48:54 PM
I picked up a Free T2 at Lowe's today, and needed the pocket clip.

I've also ordered these because of the flat shipping costs for smaller non-tool orders.

Extra-small screwdriver bits. Snapped the slotted side my Wave, lost the one in my Surge.

The stock Phillips/slotted combo bit. Enough for Surge, Skeletool, and Wave. It's missing in the Surge and Wave, and they have other flat bits in their place.

With the Skeletool, I"m going with a loadout kinda similar to the Rescue/RX model along with Metro's hammer that accepts the MUT strap cutter blade.  Thus, I decided to pick up the glass breaker bit.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25656 on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:07 PM
Olight may make a better flashlight for less money  (in my opinion, Maglite probably blows 3/4 of their budget on marketing not R&D), but Maglites are an icon.

Maglite  SmurfSmacker Classic 3D Cell. I have no idea why, but I've wanted one ever since I borrowed a fellow Scout's over a decade ago when the hand-me-down Garrity crapped out. I've had more incandescent Solitaires and Minis than I could count (because that's all a young me could afford), and am currently on an LED Solitaire and AAA Mini Maglite. While 40 Lumens is anemic compared to most modern LED lights including several small ones, and 3 Ds themselves weigh a metric ton, it's still a good design--even if it loses Criterion 1 in my light purchasing: MUST FIT IN POCKET OR MULTITOOL SHEATH.  But, a big light shouldn't be as easy to lose. I recently misplaced my Olight S1R Baton II--aka my best flashlight. And that one was expensive. I'm honestly surprised Maglite can still make these things in the US for under $20.

AA Maglite PRO.  332 Lumens. This is replacing my slightly brighter LED Lenser P6X which recently croaked when the push-button failed (a known issue--and it's LONG out of warranty). The regular Mini Maglite fits in many of my sheaths. The Ripoffs CO-7 is specifically designed for a large multitool and a Mini Maglite AA; and they usually slip right into the elastic loops sewn into most cheap Leatherman sheaths.

Solitaire LED Warm White. This is replacing a standard one that is my backup "find the bathroom in the middle of the night" light. Incandescent/Xenon bulbs get too hot. This is supposed to have a warm white output similar to an incandescent light.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:56:29 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25657 on: April 18, 2021, 10:22:42 PM
Also, new hiking boots!  Around the farm, I wear rubber "Wellie" type boots, but they offer zero ankle support and are really a poor choice for walking long-distance. I decided to try these British Army Surplus Haix boots instead of the regular USGI combat boots I had before (which were a size too small and regular width, not wide), as I hear Haix are really, really good. And, the dark brown color and high polishability mean these can be my everyday boots.

These are just said to be "British Army", but I believe them to be the recently discontinued "High Liability" model. MSRP was 130 quid, and I paid $140, so I didn't save much.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:52:01 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25658 on: April 19, 2021, 12:07:24 AM
Well it just came in, it’s some stair climber for the Mrs, all I know is it was a pain! First to get it out of the box, then to assemble with dinky tools, but then lastly to get it downstairs! I needed the kid, we had to carry it through the hallway, through the kitchen, then into the stairwell to get it to go downstairs, then had to make a 90° turn through a door which were making the workout room,, the one thing I was really worried about was the height, yeah it itself isn’t bad but as you step up you yourself are kinda high! Luckily the Mrs has about 6in of headroom, at one time the kid left me because something happened with his hand, so he had to go have mom check it out, all while I’m stuck in the stairwell holding the machine up, like err,,
JR

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #25659 on: April 20, 2021, 10:58:14 AM
While it's not technically a multitool, I do have a nice new 6" klein adjustable wrench on the way.  This rounds out my work EDC along and a set of metric hex keys and a pair of channel locks.  My trusty Rebar is always there to fill the needlenose/phillips category, but I can't work without the other three at all, and there are a slew of other tools I have in a bag within arms reach at all times. 

I guess the adjustable wrench is a multi though, for me it's a wrench, cheater bar(hex keys), small hammer, sheet metal bending tool, and many other things that pop up.  I already have one but it's a crescent brand, and the kleins are machined to tighter tolerances and therefor "self adjust" less.  I have a klein 8" wrench and it's fantastic, just too heavy to carry on my person and the 6" does just fine.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25660 on: April 20, 2021, 10:52:31 PM
Also, new hiking boots! 

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
They are great boots! My daughter has had hers for around 5 years and wears them for her dog walking business - she's walked hundreds of miles in them and they're still going strong  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25661 on: April 21, 2021, 02:47:07 AM
They are great boots! My daughter has had hers for around 5 years and wears them for her dog walking business - she's walked hundreds of miles in them and they're still going strong  :tu:

Glad to hear! I knew Haix was a pretty much household name in boots for fire and rescue/EMS, so I decided to try them.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25662 on: April 21, 2021, 02:53:29 AM
Silver Knights Blades recently sent me an email mentioning they had decided to put up several returned knives they had found in their shipping department. Most are fine, but some may have centering issues. I'm carrying and using this knife, and unless there is rubbing between blade/liner, not a problem to me. Originally, they were supposed to be put up on the website on Monday of next week, but the owner later said to send an email instead, as all but the 501 Goodfella had sold out. I emailed him today, and I found the 501 was $70, so I got one. It is CPM-154 steel and has burlap micarta handles. I'm more of a fan of canvas micarta, but eh, you get what is being offered.

Coincidentally, I priced an S30V/bone 501-build on the Buck website, and it was almost $125. Counting shipping and sales tax, the standard 501 is close to $70, maybe $1 or $2 less. At 3 3/4 closed, it's my target size for a folder. 3 ounces too, and slim; unlike the 110 or 112.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25663 on: April 22, 2021, 04:08:38 PM
Thats nice Cody.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #25664 on: April 22, 2021, 07:54:29 PM
 :iagree:  :dd: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25665 on: April 23, 2021, 05:10:04 PM
I have an old, well loved PST from the early 90's coming my way.  Belonged to my Grandfather who we lost two years ago to pancreatic cancer.  My Grandmother just got around to clearing out a bunch of his stuff and found it; when my parents saw it they knew I'd love to have it.  First new to me Multi in years, and I can't wait to hold it.  The man had a huge influence on my kids and my life in general, especially in my adulthood, and I miss him dearly.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25666 on: April 23, 2021, 05:39:45 PM
I have an old, well loved PST from the early 90's coming my way.  Belonged to my Grandfather who we lost two years ago to pancreatic cancer.  My Grandmother just got around to clearing out a bunch of his stuff and found it; when my parents saw it they knew I'd love to have it.  First new to me Multi in years, and I can't wait to hold it.  The man had a huge influence on my kids and my life in general, especially in my adulthood, and I miss him dearly.
Sounds like it was destined to come to you and what a great memento  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25667 on: April 23, 2021, 07:31:12 PM
 :iagree: :like: :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25668 on: April 24, 2021, 01:43:54 AM
Thanks guys, pics for sure once it arrives!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25669 on: April 25, 2021, 01:45:40 PM
Two multitools on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Schrade China (BTI/Stewart A. Taylor) Hot Steaming Pile of Smurf Tough Tool. This is nowhere near the USA-made models. Heck, it's no where near $20 tools like my Workpro and Ozark Trail 18-in-1s.  Found a new one for close to $10. Needed it for the Daredevil Challenge. I wanted to prove how bad they were, so I chose to do the entire challenge with one. Had meant to get the version with scissors, but I wanted to be able to try it alongside the USA-made model for a more accurate comparison.

And, Victorinox SwissTool Spirit XC. Was tipped off over in the Swiss Army Knights section by Steve that since Vic was discontinuing this model, DLT Trading was clearing them about at $65 each. I specifically wanted the XC version so this worked out great.

Also, after accruing four Moore Maker folders, I have my first fixed blade on the way.

3100U 7" Drop Point Hunter by Utica. Said to be 7" OAL, but Utica had a similar knife in the Catskill line (albeit, with bone handles) that was 6 3/4" with a 2 3/4" 1095 blade. While there's nothing wrong with it, I got it for about $15 cheaper (and that included shipping, so more like $30 less once Moore Maker's stupid shipping costs are included) through Moore Maker's eBay arm that sells off those they consider imperfect. This is just enough knife for me. I don't need a big knife that hangs up on everything. I'm gonna make a Kydex sheath for those moments when I want to pocket carry it. 

I"ve found I could've gotten a clearance-priced Utica-own brand version with bone handles for about $5 less than I paid for this one. It's the bigger 8 1/4" OAL version with bone handles--still has a 1095 blade.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:20:11 PM by cody6268 »

Offline Rab21

Reply #25670 on: April 26, 2021, 09:05:58 PM
Ordered a custom spydernox, its a few months out but I'm really looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25671 on: April 26, 2021, 11:00:51 PM
Ordered a custom spydernox, its a few months out but I'm really looking forward to it.

Sounds amazing  :tu: Where does one find such a thing :think:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25672 on: April 26, 2021, 11:24:48 PM
Sounds amazing  :tu: Where does one find such a thing :think:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline StrangeToolbot

Reply #25673 on: April 27, 2021, 03:22:04 AM

This stuff...

Offline Rab21

Reply #25674 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:39 AM
Here you go Surge.

wwwf2scustoms.com

Thats not my one just a vid to show whats available.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:21:49 AM by Rab21 »

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25675 on: April 27, 2021, 03:10:04 PM
Here you go Surge.

wwwf2scustoms.com

Thats not my one just a vid to show whats available.

Thanks Rab  :tu: :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25676 on: April 27, 2021, 03:25:45 PM
Ordered a Rahven High Impact Ceramics knife (Whale) after seeing this (+ they are a Swiss company):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Y7UnUuF5k&ab_channel=Cedric%26AdaGearandOutdoors
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #25677 on: April 28, 2021, 04:15:56 AM
Not much. Still waiting for my Toler Union, and alsi got in on a GOAT Tool.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25678 on: April 29, 2021, 05:18:19 AM
I've been in the process of buying a pro-grade RC for about a year now. I had several toy-grade, and a Kyosho Mini Z Overland Mitsubishi Pajero. The toy grade pieces don't hold up and rarely have proportional control. The Mini Z had been heavily modified by a prior owner, and parts were hard to get. The car I chose had to be compact (so Mini-Z scale), four-wheel drive (gravel drive is all I can drive on, and it's steep), and somewhat lifted though not monster-truck.Pretty much, I only had two decent options at that price.  Kyosho had recently made a Mini Z 4x4 off-road chassis,  Also, Axial had recently introduced their take, the SCX24 crawler. The Kyosho I felt was a bit higher quality, but was more expensive, fragile, and parts hard to find. US retailers don't stock a lot of parts, and they're often expensive. Japan-based dealers are cheaper, but shipping costs pretty much negate that.  The Axial SCX-24 was about $80 cheaper, parts easy to get (pretty much any dealer associated with Horizon Hobby carries them), and more rugged, due to having a steel frame, steel driveshafts, easier to work on, and being sealed against dust and water. And full bearings from the factory, not bushings.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi00001t1

Stuff will get broken, stuff will get lost. Extra body clips and a "small parts set" with the screws. Should've ordered extra bumpers for the truck, since I know those will get cracked given how I drive. Also, wheel nuts.

Two extra batteries. Should've gotten the correct brand, but forgot. These came from eBay, but are an "off" brand.

s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 78.21 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25679 on: April 29, 2021, 06:53:53 PM
Also, some items from Grainger.  Had to order some hinges to fix a barn door since I couldn't find them locally, and then I went straight to my bucket list.

Proto J-100. My Fastenal would have had to special order it, resulting in extra costs.

They recently updated the classic design, and this one is more suited to a keychain pry tool. It's replacing my Nite Ize Doohickey.

Pelican StealthLite 2XAA. Made in USA, 120 lumens, lighter than a Maglite, but still strong enough. Wanted one of these for a long time. They used to largely be incandescent but were recently upgraded to LED.

MCR Safety BL1 safety glasses. I see no need in blowing huge bucks for sunglasses. I like these for cases when there's a good chance I'll lose or break them. Those Stihl have (specifically, those with a reflective coating) are good, and not too expensive either at sub-$20. These are like $1.50 each.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%