Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Tool from CRKT- the Technician!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Tool from CRKT- the Technician!
on: October 11, 2017, 03:54:47 PM
In the off chance you have not yet seen it, CRKT has released a new plier based multitool, the Technician:

At first glance it looks pretty standard- butterfly opening plier tool, stuff in the handles.... nice looking with the textured grips, but nothing we haven't seen before, right?  Well, maybe, but there's a good reason why this one should stand out.

Yup- as you can see, printed on the head, plain as day is "KLECKER DESIGN" and that name may sound vaguely familiar to you, and with good reason- Glenn Klecker has an impressive resume, at least as far as tool design goes.  Currently he is running his own shop at www.kleckerknives.com (and the Multitool.org Store is an authorized Klecker Dealership) and he is churning out plastic and wooden knife and multitool kits, as well as the current cell phone case tool, the Stowaway and the axe multitool called the KLAX but he has also designed another tool that you may have heard of.

Yup, before setting off on his own or hooking up with CRKT, Glenn was a designer for Leatherman and was instrumental in designing the Skeletool, which is the progenitor of multiple other Leatherman models such as the MUT, Signal, Freestyle and Style series tools.  Not a bad resume huh?

Glenn is also an MTO member, and has been since the early days, although he doesn't usually advertise it.  So, we should be even more interested in this tool since it comes from one of us.

Of course we aren't idiots that blindly buy things because we are told to, right?  We need to know if something really works, and that is the bottom line for this whole site- reviewing multitools, seeing what works and what doesn't, so let's look at the tool itself, an maybe do some speculating here and there.  :D

CRKT has this to say about it:

Doing it yourself? There’s a pride in that. To end the day with dirty hands and tired bones marks success in our book. And to get the job done right, there’s one thing we can’t go without: a damn good multi-tool. Shadetree mechanics and automotive masters, meet your new best friend: the Technician™.

We can gather from the images that it seems to be a bit smaller than the usual butterfly opening tool, but perhaps a bit more robust looking.  It sort of reminds me of the compact stoutness of the surprisingly decent DeWalt M-16, which I consider a good thing.  Further, it appears that the Technician will also include a One Hand Opening blade with a thumb stud, which could potentially be removed for places where one hand opening is a no no.  Good move!

CRKT goes on to say this about it:

One Hand Opening Knife Blade
Standard 1/4" Bit Driver
Folding Chisel/Scraper - Great for Scraping Gaskets

Considering how many times I wish a multitool had a scraper (at least in the times I am not carrying a SwissTool or Spirit) I think I am going to appreciate it's inclusion in the Technician.

And look at that plier head!  They don't come much more robust looking than that- Glenn and CRKT obvious intend for this thing to be used hard.

Inside it looks like a modest, but reasonable selection of tools, which is great because I for one am sick of carrying around tools with a thousand functions when I only need like 6 of them.  CRKT ofers the following specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Blade Length   2.584" (65.63 mm)
Blade Edge   Plain Edge
Blade Thickness   0.097" (2.46 mm)
Closed Length   4.453" (113.11 mm)
Handle   G10
Style   Multi-Tool
Sheath Material   1680D Weaved Nylon; Black

So, it comes with a sheath, but it looks like the G10 might be thick enough for a pocket clip mod if you wanted.... plus the textured handles seem like they are a long time coming!  No plastic, no slippery steel, a real, hard wearing textured, grippy material at last!

I have to say that I think I am really looking forward to this one.  The design is right, the research is right, the form factor is right, the materials seem right.... I think this might be a serious contender for Multitool of the Year.... in 2018.   :facepalm:

Yup, not available until January, 2018, which is a bit frustrating, but it could be the most exciting new tool we have to look forward to- and at an MSRP of $89.99 I think there is some serious potential here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: New Tool from CRKT- the Technician!
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:35 PM
hi Boss. I like the idea and the designer behind it, but I am a bit confused as to the toolset.    :tu:
You can see the obvious scraper (ala Schrade 5WR Vise Grip, which I like), the blade, the file/bottle opener, the big flat screwdriver, but I'm lost on the other two.
One seems like a telescoping pointer, and the thing that looks like a futuristic plasma cannon must be the bit driver?

Thanks for clarifying and good news rom you again, boss   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:27:07 PM
hi Boss. I like the idea and the designer behind it, but I am a bit confused as to the toolset.    :tu:
You can see the obvious scraper (ala Schrade 5WR Vise Grip, which I like), the blade, the file/bottle opener, the big flat screwdriver, but I'm lost on the other two.
One seems like a telescoping pointer, and the thing that looks like a futuristic plasma cannon must be the bit driver?

Thanks for clarifying and good news rom you again, boss   :salute:

I'm guessing the telescoping one is a magnetic pick up tool

Edit: yep it is, it says so in the paragraph at the bottom... https://www.crkt.com/technician.html

The Technician™ is built for the discerning. It’s among the first multi-tools to feature a telescoping magnetic pick-up device.

Looks like it's aimed at the auto mechanic. Should be a good one to grip with G10 handles when hands are a little oily/greasy

Thanks for the heads up  :tu:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:34:11 PM by Kevin Davey »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:39:13 PM
I like the look of that CRKT Ripsnort knife that is coming out soon to

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:58:10 PM
I like the look of that CRKT Ripsnort knife that is coming out soon to
I like the name :D
They presented it on this years shot show... took them a while to bring it out. This is one of the knives I'm really looking forward to, like the blade shape.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:22:27 PM
I like the looks of that Technician; I could easily see them modifying the chassis to make a competitor to the Camillus Les Stroud Tool and Leathman Signal; the telescoping magnet pick-up tool would be perfect to replace with a sturdy firesteel rod.

I could see myself picking one of these up.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:20:00 PM
:popcorn:

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:38 PM
Great to see Glenn Klecker coming out with this tool.  He certainly has some interesting ideas that for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:30 PM
My thoughts, for what they're worth ....

1) Interesting tool set, particularly the magnetic pick up tool and feeler gauge  :salute:

2) This might be the most usable multitool design that CRKT have produced so far (certainly the least bizarre)  :cheers:

3) Ergonomics (open and closed) appear questionable. It doesn't look particularly comfortable in either pliers or knife use  :think:

4) Non-locking tools, with an outboard plain edged slipjoint blade which would be legal in a large percentage of areas globally  :2tu:

5) I don't like how thin the cord cutter/wire stripper makes the base of the file  :-\

6) Self-servicable screws on pivots, and mod potential for non-automotive users  :tu:

7) Pliers look reasonably substantial, with "cut-outs" for cosmetic purposes only - not significantly section reducing. So long as these aren't hollow cast with a spring in, they look like they should be fairly decent  :tu:

8) Leatherman style impeded main gripping area  :twak:  :rant: WHY ?!?!?  :poh: :megaslap: First job would be to (carefully) take a Dremel to the plier head to open that out to what it should be so that you are not griping with the cutters  ::) Thankfully the wire cutters should (hopefully) be long enough to still have a usable length of wire cutters.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:00:26 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:08:03 PM
Very cool looking tool :o They always have very unique designs and I always give them kudos for this :salute: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:44 PM
This image ....

.... makes it look like the bit driver will be able to stow with a bit in situ.  :tu:

For those with minimal driver needs, this might mean that the tool could potentially "stand alone" with a double ended flat/Phillips, without having to lug around a bit kit.

(Potentially more relevant for those who pocket carry, and who don't like belt sheaths getting snagged on stuff - or who can't get at the belt anyway because they've got overalls on - like for example, a Technician working on Automotive stuff  :whistle:)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:08:33 PM by 50ft-trad »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:16:40 AM
I like it, it's the most interesting pliers based multi released in the last couple of years (variations don't count). It's not perfect, but no mutli ever is, they're compromised by design.

The MSRP on it mean it's going to 'very' affordable when it it's released.

I sat on the launch of this of a week to see if anyone else mentioned it, they didn't, too busy smurf posting
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:24 AM
I like it, it's the most interesting pliers based multi released in the last couple of years (variations don't count). It's not perfect, but no mutli ever is, they're compromised by design.

The MSRP on it mean it's going to 'very' affordable when it it's released.

I sat on the launch of this of a week to see if anyone else mentioned it, they didn't, too busy smurf posting

:salute:

The good thing is so far not a lot of over hype like some tools that will remain nameless. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:35:34 AM
Interesting tool, this Technician. I don't know Glenn, but seem to recall his name being out there. Nice looking tool. Some interesting decisions on tool set, like magnetic pick up and quarter in driver, scraper...

My own layman gut thoughts...and not to detract from this, but if it is geared toward the auto mechanic, I wonder if they might consider changing the name to Otto, or Auto, or mechanic or something? I wonder if they would buy it, as mechanics usually have a shop full of dedicated quality tools.

As an IT guy, we are known as Techs in our place of work. I associate technician with less industrial strength than that of an auto mechanic and more with the Geek Squad or IT field. But I will say, I have used bits and wanted a magnetized telescopic pick up many times while running cable or installing servers, etc.

I wonder, except for Paladin/ SOG, whose 540 (?) Is no longer available, will anyone else consider making a plyers based multi with a punch down tool? Maybe with a Menda spudger and little telecoms hook, an Ethernet crimper, the usual wire cutters, assortment of screw drivers, scissors, and the small bit driver from the Blast...

An auto mechanic typically works in a shop and has an assortment of dedicated tools at the ready. Us IT guys may have a small workshop, but are typically responding to someone's desktop, SMART Board, printer, server room, switch stack in a closet, etc. They already make book-sized computer tech tool kits, why not do what Tim L did all those years ago, and amalgamate all the common IT tools into one? That's what vision popped into my mind when the word "Technician" showed up in the title of this thread.

Glenn, I don't know you, sir,  but any chance of something like that coming down the pike? And of course, forgive my ignorance if it already exists, while pointing me to it

Offline Distiller

• New User
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:29:40 AM
Long time lurker.  First post.

Love the slipjoint and one hand opening combo.  In Scotland (UK) we can't have locking blades (apparently includes scissors, saws, even can openers) unless we have good reason (work, traveling to work)

I use a surge at work, which is very fit for purpose.  And I EDC a Swiss post office cybetool 34... Even though I have converted a leatherman charge tti to UK legal.

A total win for Klecker/crkt would have been to make slots for the stowaway tools in the scales.  The pen, pin, toothpick and tweezers in the cybetool 34 really do come in handy.

Nice platform.  If there were more tools that were easily swappable, this would be a winner.

Making an auto technicians tool is odd as there is always plenty of space in a car to have some full size tools... At work my surge saves me trips to the tool box where the tool I need might be missing, wasting time.  For EDC the Victorinox helps me out with a 1000 small things.

I would stick to the surge for work purposes over this but would consider it as an EDC if it had scale tools and different/swappable main tools of good quality.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:17 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Distiller :cheers: Great first post as well :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:30 AM
I am with on TB on this as it does seem more geared toward that type of profession rather than a mechanic as well :think: :tu: A different (in a good way tool) that I can't wait to see what comes of it :tu:

Offline Distiller

• New User
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 11:50:45 AM
@poncho65 thanks for the welcome.

I should also add a +1 on all the tools being outside opening.

Yeah, swappable tools and interchangeable scales with slots for stowaway tools or similar and this would be a really cool platform, especially for the UK and Europe with our funny blade laws.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Distiller- it looks like you have some great ideas there- I really like the idea of slots in the handle for the Stowaway bits, but I am not sure I see that happening, at least not until/unless CRKT also picks up the Stowaway for production.  I'm not sure where Glenn and CRKT stand on that though, so I couldn't speculate on it.

I think there is a lot to look forward to on this tool- as I said, Glenn has been a longtime member here and it's great to see some of the things that MTO members have wanted finally making it into a tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:39 AM
I don't think there's enough space for stowaway implements on this one. You'd be better off with Victorinox scale tools.
And maybe a swiss card style scissor in a scale.

Still, this is so exciting!  :like:

A major brand making a butterfly MT? Yes please!  :cheers:
I sincerely hope this sells well enough for CRKT to make more designs. Glenn certainly has more great ideas in store. :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:42 AM
Wow, this is freaky....
Last night I had an idea about having outside-opening tools at the opposite end to the plier pivots (and not using liner locks) except turned around so that you don't have to open the tool to get at them....
And here it is!

So, unless this has been done before, this configuration makes this a very different tool.
I haven't looked at the tools on this too closely but it looks mod-able....  :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 10:28:00 AM
Wow, this is freaky....
Last night I had an idea about having outside-opening tools at the opposite end to the plier pivots (and not using liner locks) except turned around so that you don't have to open the tool to get at them....
And here it is!

So, unless this has been done before, this configuration makes this a very different tool.

Vic Spirit is like that. And Gerber Suspension, and Bear & Son MTs.
And many others.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:39:28 AM by ReamerPunch »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:23 AM
Wow, this is freaky....
And here it is!

Vic Spirit is like that. And Gerber Suspension, and Bear & Son MTs.
And many others.
D'oh!  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:15 PM
There's still a lot to be interested about this one- the G10 scales alone make it interesting from a grip point of view, and the potential mod-ability with the Torx screws looks like it could be a throw back to the golden age of SOG.

I can also see a  huge benefit to the magnetic pickup tool too.  If nothing else, it is at least different from the usual stuff we find in the handles of a multitool.

Def

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:49 PM

Will there be a test to see if we've been paying attention?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 01:08:03 PM
I rather like the tool, but wonder about the large depression in the handles when open.  It looks like it'll be easy to mod too. >:D  I'd like a knifeless version for work.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 03:55:53 PM
Ti scales coming soon?

As soon as we find someone with a cnc machine to cut different materials in different patterns... :D

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 04:13:07 PM
I rather like the tool, but wonder about the large depression in the handles when open. It looks like it'll be easy to mod too. >:D  I'd like a knifeless version for work.

Yeah, open or closed, it seems there's an uncomfortable and unnecessary pointy bit that'll dig into your palm

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 04:20:29 PM
Ti scales coming soon?

As soon as we find someone with a cnc machine to cut different materials in different patterns... :D

Def
Tall order.  ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66