Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ranger Challenge II

Nix · 978 · 17139

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Ranger Challenge II
Reply #960 on: September 30, 2022, 10:22:45 PM
Day 30
Boxes boxes...

The moving weeks tool kit...

Over this challenge I've exclusively used the Ranger Sport which before I only carried occasionally.
The handle fills the hand nicely while being much lighter than the original. The clip works well too, and could be even better if reversible.
A nice modern twist on the old classic  :tu:

Thanks Nix for hosting this challenge and everyone participating :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #961 on: October 01, 2022, 01:20:14 AM
Day 30:

Another box....

The Ranger challenge has once again been a great challenge for me. If pressed, I claim the 110 to be my favorite pocket knife, although the 110's size starts to challenge the idea of "pocket". However, over the course of this challenge, as with the previous Ranger challenge, I start to think that I prefer the 112 for an EDC. It is just so handy.

Even with the old-style, heavy brass bolsters, and thick handle, the Ranger rides nicely in my pocket. I often have to check to be sure I have it still (amongst all the other junk in my pockets these days). In terms of performance, the Ranger was excellent. I love the short clip blade. The edge retention on the 5160 blade was great, tested on sisal rope, 550 cord, wood, meats, veggies, boxes, and tape. I didn't really "push" the Ranger hard, but it got used fairly regularly.

The handle ergos are good. For me. I still think I prefer the 110 handle, but it is hard to argue with how east the 112 is to use.

Yeah, the Ranger is definitely starting to challenge the 110 for the claim of being my favorite pocket knife....  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #962 on: October 01, 2022, 01:21:12 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
My wife and I are both fans but her more so than me. 

My wife didn’t even know the cards existed until I gave them to her as a surprise.  She loves them and was especially happy that she got a Mitakeumi card because he is her favorite.

:like:

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #963 on: October 01, 2022, 01:23:36 AM
Ranger Challenge II
Day 30

A bit of package opening for the Ranger today. Bought a G Shock as a parts donor,,, but the one I got today is in pretty darned nice condition too. The new one has a negative display,,, guess I'll have to test drive it for a couple of days and decide if I like it.

I don't recall ever owning a 110,,, and the closest to a 112 was the 422 I had in the 90's. Generally, knives this size aren't my thing, so I purchased the Slim in hopes to reduce bulk. I toted it about 5 days with the clip on, and really wasn't all that impressed. However, once I took the clip off and put it in the belt sheath,,, wow,,,,, I really, really like this knife!!  It's light weight made a great belt carried EDC. If I could change anything, I would have held out for a olive drab colored one.

It's been a great challenge all! Thank you Nix for hosting it!!

* 20220930_151953 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 62.09 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Online David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #964 on: October 01, 2022, 01:53:49 AM
Day 30

Evening Rangers! This Challenge marks a milestone for me. Something that has never happened before.  I actually carried the same knife for the whole thirty days of the Challenge. Unbelievable! I hadn't intended to do so but it happened. The oak covers and that 5160 blade just held me tight.   :D.  Enjoyed all the knives, pics and comradery. Happy Trails Rangers!

* KIMG3914~2.jpg (Filesize: 374.04 KB)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:12:57 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Pacu

Reply #965 on: October 01, 2022, 03:34:12 AM
Day 30

This has been great. I really like the 112s. The slim will probably stay in rotation being light, cheap and tough.
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #966 on: October 01, 2022, 04:25:40 AM
Day 30 of 30

The end of September, the end of the Ranger II Challenge, the end of Hummingbird season(feeders coming down today), so sad!  It is true time does fly by when having fun.

An update, my BOTM Ranger will be returned for repair, shipping label received and it will ship today back to Idaho.

Friends in Florida, including MTo buddies, Alan and Fireman, are now drying out and picking up debris.

Comis has an additional priority, a little girl! Life will never be the same in his world. Daddies little girl will rule.

Puppies have control as well.

Nix is sneaking dog treats, GA1dad can bbq,  SOS and wife are Sumo fans plus several others, Echotech is searching for a 112LT, McStitchy and Pacu are being cool in style!
Cody6268 impresses with his collection of miniatures collection and David with his photography skills and patches. FarmerX and the Orange Slim adding color to every contribution.

Another month and my Lego kit is yet in the box! My three most used Rangers posing for last day honors.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Think I’ve got my LT, posted on Tuesday apparently

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #967 on: October 01, 2022, 04:31:14 AM
That is great!   I have a new one in the box, Kurt airfare would have set you back a couple additional dollars and checked luggage 🤪
But, for you, I would have made the trip. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #968 on: October 01, 2022, 04:50:46 AM
Day 30
Knowing that we had storms coming and it was the last day, I decided to go out in the early morning (late night) and enjoy a little fresh air before the rain started.  The Ranger feathered some wood for the mini campfire.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #969 on: October 01, 2022, 05:04:24 AM
That is great!   I have a new one in the box, Kurt airfare would have set you back a couple additional dollars and checked luggage
But, for you, I would have made the trip.
You are a gentleman and a scholar LC :hatsoff: :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #970 on: October 01, 2022, 07:01:31 AM
Thanks to whichever mod hooked me up with the badge already.  That was quick.  I'm off now to the EDC fixed blade challenge. :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #971 on: October 01, 2022, 06:39:44 PM
The oak covers and that 5160 blade just held me tight. 

Really nice looking combination, fore sure. And I came to appreciate the 5160 blade more than I thought I would. I can't really say why, but it did take a great edge and developed a bit of patina. So, more 5160 blades, Buck!

And a classic 112 with a 154CM blade would get ordered on sight.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #972 on: October 01, 2022, 06:42:42 PM
Day 30 of 30

The end of September, the end of the Ranger II Challenge, the end of Hummingbird season(feeders coming down today), so sad!  It is true time does fly by when having fun.

An update, my BOTM Ranger will be returned for repair, shipping label received and it will ship today back to Idaho.

Friends in Florida, including MTo buddies, Alan and Fireman, are now drying out and picking up debris.

Comis has an additional priority, a little girl! Life will never be the same in his world. Daddies little girl will rule.

Puppies have control as well.

Nix is sneaking dog treats, GA1dad can bbq,  SOS and wife are Sumo fans plus several others👍, Echotech is searching for a 112LT, McStitchy and Pacu are being cool in style!
Cody6268 impresses with his collection of miniatures collection and David with his photography skills and patches. FarmerX and the Orange Slim adding color to every contribution.

Another month and my Lego kit is yet in the box! My three most used Rangers posing for last day honors.

Yeah, it was a good challenge. Even by MTo standards. And the fact that McStitchy didn't lose any body parts [that we know of] was a bonus!  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #973 on: October 01, 2022, 10:20:10 PM

au Offline Echotech

Reply #974 on: October 04, 2022, 03:58:49 AM
:woohoo:

112 LT arrived 8)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #975 on: October 04, 2022, 04:14:43 AM
:woohoo:

112 LT arrived 8)

(Image removed from quote.)

That is good!

I will unpack my travel bags and put my backup 112LT  back in the drawer😔
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #976 on: October 04, 2022, 04:40:27 AM
That is good!

I will unpack my travel bags and put my backup 112LT  back in the drawer
Next time mate

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #977 on: October 06, 2022, 12:26:25 AM