Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

General Tool Discussion / Re: Black Oxide Friday!
« Last post by chip on Today at 12:12:49 AM »
Good work, I love a quiche, normally with chips and and lashinigs of HP sauce :drool: :drool: :drool:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Questions about an Old Cross Electrician
« Last post by gustophersmob on May 10, 2024, 11:54:13 PM »
Originally all the tools were unpolished on the 93mm line.  They gradually phased that out over time. It seems the cap lifter retained its unpolished finish longer than other tools did. On my 85 pioneer, the can opener is polished but the cap lifter isn’t.

Hardness is a bit screwy. The tools have always been softer than the blades by a few points. And, iirc, there was varying hardness depending upon the tool. I.e., a blade was the hardest, a Callie’s was a bit softer, and a wood saw was softer still.

In the early 00’s, possibly at the same time they transitioned to the new cross shield, the hardness on at least the blades was bumped up by ~2 points. I’m not sure if the same is true for the tools. I need to dig and do some reading to remember.
Cheap and Cheerful (or otherwise!) / Re: Birchwood Casey Pistol Gun Multi-tool.
« Last post by Chako on May 10, 2024, 11:43:23 PM »
 :iagree:
Cheap and Cheerful (or otherwise!) / Re: Dead Deer Brush Saw.
« Last post by Chako on May 10, 2024, 11:42:30 PM »
That would work.
« Last post by Tuisto on May 10, 2024, 11:40:35 PM »
It’s fine, and original.

The main blade shouldn’t have a stamp on the back unless it’s an older Elinox (or very rare Fischer) in which case the victorinox marking would be on the back. Or if you can also see a dated blade, assumed to be leftover from soldier production, but that’s less common than just blank as well.

The cap lifter is the slightly older, unpolished kind. But new enough it appears to no longer have the sharpened inner edge.

The electricians blade looks fine, and looks period correct. The older one often had the tang grind transition go out to the nail nick like yours. Newer ones are typically ground down closer to the pivot. (See attached pic for what I mean).

The brass liner was phased out starting in 85, though they still show up for a few years after. So yours was probably made between 85 and 99. They switched to the new cross after that.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Do you know why the cap lifter isn't polished? Is it a different Rockwell hardness than the non-blade tools?
« Last post by gustophersmob on May 10, 2024, 11:35:49 PM »
It’s fine, and original.

The main blade shouldn’t have a stamp on the back unless it’s an older Elinox (or very rare Fischer) in which case the victorinox marking would be on the back. Or if you can also see a dated blade, assumed to be leftover from soldier production, but that’s less common than just blank as well.

The cap lifter is the slightly older, unpolished kind. But new enough it appears to no longer have the sharpened inner edge.  (See attached pic of a similar unpolished cap lifter on my 85 pioneer).

The electricians blade looks fine, and looks period correct. The older one often had the tang grind transition go out to the nail nick like yours. Newer ones are typically ground down closer to the pivot. (See attached pic for what I mean).

The brass liner was phased out starting in 85, though they still show up for a few years after. So yours was probably made between 85 and 99. They switched to the new cross after that.
General Tool Discussion / Re: Black Oxide Friday!
« Last post by SteveC on May 10, 2024, 11:20:51 PM »
 :drool:
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Rich_SD on May 10, 2024, 10:44:37 PM »
Was the case the gift, or was there something inside it?

:popcorn:

The leather sheath and sticker was a gift... after spending $50 on my birth month... after spending over $240 this year (minimum spent to make Insider Tier 2).  :facepalm:

But I'm not complaining because I would have spent that anyway.
Trying out some K-flex flights and managed a 171 while mounted on some 24g Ruthless barrels.  I wish I could claim I'm regularly banging in the big triples...but that would be a lie. :D  My finishing is getting better though.
The Break Room / Re: California Trip 2024
« Last post by Grant Lamontagne on May 10, 2024, 10:07:26 PM »
This is the view from our home for the next few days- not too shabby!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD