Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The ultimate EDC watch?

Grathr · 70 · 39091

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
The ultimate EDC watch?
on: July 01, 2012, 09:46:17 AM
Wich watch is the perfect EDC watch for you?

My perfect EDC watch is the Casio F-91W.

-Its cheap ( $7,50-$15): wich is always great, especially since I tend to wreck a watch a year. (and noone wants to steal it)
-Its fairly precise ± 30sec a month.
-Its light : (and thin) I don't like wearing heavy watches over longer periods of time.
-It shows the time, day of the week and month, has a LED light, a stopwach and alarm.(I only need time, day of the month and the light)
-Its water resistant
-Its widely available. You can get a new one or spare parts almost anywhere in the world. (just watch out for fakes)
-long battery life. According to Casio it should last about 7 years. 

It's like a Victorinox Spartan. It does all you need it to, and its great value for money.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: The ultimate EDC watch?
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:55 AM
For me its my casio DW-285 , i love G-shocks and am a big fan of the DW5000 model but find them a little to small on my wrist, i also like casio's protrek watches but very big on the wrist, for me the DW-285 is a good size around 44mm and fits 20mm straps so makes strap changing cheap, plus battery lasty a easy 3 years ,200mWR and enough functions for me including the hourly beep i like,  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:45:43 AM
Wich watch is the perfect EDC watch for you?

My perfect EDC watch is the Casio F-91W.

It's like a Victorinox Spartan. It does all you need it to, and its great value for money.

+1

I wear one 99.9% of the time
I tend to break the straps every few years (this one is on its way out at the moment  :( )

Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:15 PM
it's another classic Casio for me as well, though I wear a W-59 rather than the F-91W, though the differences are tiny and they do exactly the same things.  This watch has done a heck of a lot and survived, not only survived in fact but still looks nearly as good as the day I got it. 

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:43 PM
You can't beat cheap sub £20 Casio's can you :tu:

Sadly I got fed up breaking mine and bought a G Shock classic http://www.heinnie.com/Casio-G-Shock-Classic-Combination/p-0-0-1359/

Not a bad watch, but it occationally mists up a bit, and Casio want £35 to fix it :o So when it dies I'll go back to cheapies :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:34 PM
My DW-5600E..  8)  8)
Got it in a trade with Zed/Paul and been wearing it since..  :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:40:29 PM
You can't beat cheap sub £20 Casio's can you :tu:

Sadly I got fed up breaking mine and bought a G Shock classic http://www.heinnie.com/Casio-G-Shock-Classic-Combination/p-0-0-1359/

Not a bad watch, but it occationally mists up a bit, and Casio want £35 to fix it :o So when it dies I'll go back to cheapies :)

Mike i could fix that for £silch  ;) just needs the case back removed and aried and the gasket cleaned and silicone greased and all put back together,  :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
The ultimate EDC watch?
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:16:24 PM
I figured that's all it'd need, but never had the watch making tools to try it :(

I'll pm you later about it mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:55:04 PM
I figured that's all it'd need, but never had the watch making tools to try it :(

I'll pm you later about it mate :)

should just need a small phillips mike, pm recieved  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:19:25 PM
I've had a few Casio's and they are probably the most useful EDC type watches for me. I really like having one with lots of gadgets on it, and solar power is an absolute must too. This one is the only one I still have and it ticks all my boxes. Also waterproof and lightweight.

I'm not a huge fan of the standard plastic straps, so when I got this one, the first thing I did was put a nice comfy Zulu band on it :)

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:51:03 PM
... I really like having one with lots of gadgets on it, and solar power is an absolute must too. This one is the only one I still have and it ticks all my boxes. Also waterproof and lightweight ...

I couldn't have said it better myself  ;).

Here's my protrek PRW-1300Y.

And I also like this one very much, the Casio Riseman, also solar, alti/baro meter, no compass ( but that's what the small Silva strap compass is for) but being a G-Shock, it's almost bulletproof  :D.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 11:22:01 PM
Hmmm well my everyday watch for a while has been a Casio gw-3500b

I'm not a fan of the 201 features but I do like its analogue and digital and shows the date - alarms so quiet it doesn't wake me up lol which is a good thing as I can't figure how to turn it off anyway!

Oh and it can take like 12 g's which is good for when I go into hyperspace

It suits me and is indestructible and I'm good at breaking watches I like the look of suuntos though

I

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 11:33:46 PM
I've only just got back into using watches, so I'm still finding my way into what suits me best. Most of the time it will be a pocket watch or belt clipped watch, as wrist watches for me are a big no no most of the time for safety reasons. I did get a couple of wrist watches recently though for wearing away from work and other hazardous areas. Everything I have is quite cheap in case off loss/breakage

I'm finding that I've gone so long without wearing a watch, I'm looking for my phone or a clock even when I have a watch on me. It's going to take a while to get back used to looking at a watch  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:37:23 AM
I'm loving those G's!  Especially that one you have Ryan- I may have to look into one of those, but for now I'm very happy with the ZA1 that I got from Zed.  It's on my wrist 99% of the time and has survived several dunkings in the ocean, lakes, rivers and the occasional shower.  It does mist up from time to time and I miss the day feature that my Orange Monster has, but other than that it's been the right watch for me.

I've had several G's over the years- I think Dunc has one of them with the tide graph which is a neat feature but not one I ever used, needed or understood!  :P

One of these days I might get another one.  I've had my eye on the Dark Knight for a while but just never wanted it enough to pull the trigger.

Maybe one of these days....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 10:20:03 AM
Another favourite edc watch for me is my Rotary divers watch, ive had this pressure tested to 400m plus it has a saphire crystal that i cant seem to scratch no matter how hard ive knocked it,its got a very accurate Quartz mvmt,22mm strap width , 44mmcase to crown,around 11mm thick,120 click solid bezel,screw in crown and case back, also has a nice big crown, the lume is amazing as well, day/date function, i have about 5 strap options i use ,rubber,silicone,SS,blue leather croc,and nato in pic,

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:21:45 AM by Zed »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:58 PM
^ They really are a bargain :tu:

Offline TrickyVic

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:54 PM
Mine is a Gshock Riseman.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:08 PM
I'm loving those G's!  Especially that one you have Ryan- I may have to look into one of those, but for now I'm very happy with the ZA1 that I got from Zed.  It's on my wrist 99% of the time and has survived several dunkings in the ocean, lakes, rivers and the occasional shower.  It does mist up from time to time and I miss the day feature that my Orange Monster has, but other than that it's been the right watch for me.

I've had several G's over the years- I think Dunc has one of them with the tide graph which is a neat feature but not one I ever used, needed or understood!  :P

One of these days I might get another one.  I've had my eye on the Dark Knight for a while but just never wanted it enough to pull the trigger.

(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe one of these days....

Def

Oh I forgot to mention the most awesome feature, auto illuminate only whe. It's dark and you look at your watch ie it's at the right angle it lights up on its own so you can read it utterly pointless but so cool at the same time
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 01:40:00 AM
My original G displayed the year but had no light.  I always joked that if you went into a coma and woke up you'd know how long you were out... provided it was daytime when you woke up!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:12 AM
^ They really are a bargain :tu:

:tu:  and rotary have really stuck with there affordable but well made policy that goes back to 1885 this watch has things on it you get on much more expensive watches, ive been knocking this one around for well over a year now and it still looks like new and keeps great time, hats off to rotary  :salute:  here it is on a SS bracelet ready i hope for the beach hut and some sea swimming in the next couple of weeks, well if this blooming rain stops  :D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 09:49:13 PM
My DW-5600E..  8)  8)
Got it in a trade with Zed/Paul and been wearing it since..  :)

I´m wearing that model, too. And like many tools apart from my MP 600 and knifes apart from my spartan, it has cousins and brothers that dwell in boxes and drawers... You really don´t need more than this watch, except maybe another one for formal occasions.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:03 PM
The G Shocks have a great reputation in the EDC world for good reason,  but they don't fit every EDCers expectation. 

The G Shocks are cool looking, but there are a lot of displays, lettering, dials, knobs and buttons on them.  some prefer a clean less cluttered look.

Because of all of those features packed into a small package, some of the displays, dials and lettering are very small.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight can have a hard time reading them.

They rely on a battery.  For some an automatic movement is very appealing.

Most of what you see is plastic.  A metal watch is visually more appropriate in a greater variety of settings.

For me the Maratac Automatic Pilots Watch is the best choice for EDC.  It offers an easy to read analog face with large luminous numbers and hands, stainless steel case, reliable and accurate automatic movement, crown at the 4 o'clock position, and a sapphire crystal.  Its a very good watch and damn good looking.

Tick Magnet

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
The ultimate EDC watch?
Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 03:57:28 AM
Thought I have 20+ watches this one
is my EDC. ( I blame Def)
Seiko Orange Monster

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
The ultimate EDC watch?
Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 04:00:57 AM
Meadmaker that is a great looking watch. Very clean and simple.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 10:56:28 AM
The G Shocks have a great reputation in the EDC world for good reason,  but they don't fit every EDCers expectation. 

The G Shocks are cool looking, but there are a lot of displays, lettering, dials, knobs and buttons on them.  some prefer a clean less cluttered look.

Because of all of those features packed into a small package, some of the displays, dials and lettering are very small.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight can have a hard time reading them.

They rely on a battery.  For some an automatic movement is very appealing.

Most of what you see is plastic.  A metal watch is visually more appropriate in a greater variety of settings.

For me the Maratac Automatic Pilots Watch is the best choice for EDC.  It offers an easy to read analog face with large luminous numbers and hands, stainless steel case, reliable and accurate automatic movement, crown at the 4 o'clock position, and a sapphire crystal.  Its a very good watch and damn good looking.

I do share your general opinion, a simple automatic 3-hand watch is quicker to read and almost always aestetically more pleasant.

And i do own - and have owned - some.
But in my experience, as a workhorse, they are not ideal for me.

Automatic movements are shock resistant and fairly yccurate nowadays, but they can not withstand vibration very well. I d tend to scratch the glasses fairly often when carryinmg bigger stuff and scraping walls/door.

So for my everyday work-life the recessed crystal is a real plus and the battery will last aboput 5-7 years, a timespan ic which my automatic will need a cleaning and service once or twice.

A bonus for me is the countdown timer and stopwatch (measuring water flow over a time span, measuring timespans for epoxy to react,measuring work-time spent on a specific task)

so as much as i like my Citizen Promaster (just spent about the initial price for service and repair...), the DW-5600 works best as my workhorse.

and btw: That is a very nice, simple watch.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 01:26:22 PM
Don't like stuff on my wrists but one of these has served me well for a few years.

The chain was weak so it got replaced with a paracord lanyard but overall it's been nice for those times when I get tired of carrying a cell phone around.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 04:21:03 PM
Very slick :D

us Offline wave180

Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 05:50:44 PM

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 02:00:19 AM
I'm thinking more and more about getting myself one of these (not my pics):

Here are the reasons why I tend to like it:

It's a G-Shock, so it's nearly unbreakable
It's solar powered, so no more changing the batteries for the next ten years or so
It's Multiband 6 radio-controlled, so always 100% correct time keeping
It's pretty black/stealthy looking
It has an orange led light, but also its dials light up green in the dark (I know I seem like a 6 year old, but I do like dials that light up green ...)

So, what do you guys think of it ?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 08:07:24 AM
I think it looks excellent. 8)  Got a link to which model it is exactly?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%