Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

The Break Room / Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
« Last post by powernoodle on Today at 10:33:57 PM »
Yeah, I would definitely take a Cybertruck - just as a very expensive and very fun toy.

It took me a long time to get on board (<<pun), with hybrids.  I was just not accepting that the tech would be durable, and I keep my vehicles 12 - 15 years.  Forgive me if I have mentioned this already (I'm too lazy to look  :dunno:), but I started watching carcarenut on Youtube, who was a certified Toyota mechanic.  He changed my mind about hybrids.  Hybrid brakes last almost forever; there is no starter, no belts (on my Sienna), no alternator, gas mileage doubles, etc.  Plus you can get all wheel drive with the rear wheels operated by an electric motor that does away with the weight and complexity of a mechanical connection to the engine.  Once I embraced reality, I was totally into hybrids and will never go back.  The way things are going, I may never have the opportunity to go back anyway.  All Siennas and Camrys (starting in 2025) will be hybrid only. 

Of course, hybrids will disappear when hydrogen vehicles fueled solely by municipal water hit the market.    :tu:
The Mod Squad / Re: My first victorinox spirit X mod
« Last post by pa_strunk on Today at 10:28:19 PM »
If it were only that easy when I ask my wife where my sock are life would be so good.  :D
Edged Tools / Re: What Is Your Latest Knife?
« Last post by m47mu74nt on Today at 10:26:35 PM »
Yeah, it is smaller IRL than it feels on pictures, the Cadet helps figuring it out.
That pouch is the smaller one of a kit of 3, from the brand Tasmanian Tiger (military brand of Tatonka)
Leatherman Tools / Re: Leatherman PST chronology project
« Last post by GreyFox on Today at 10:18:30 PM »

Leatherman 4.jpg
* Leatherman 4.jpg (Filesize: 153.44 KB)
Leatherman Tools / Re: Leatherman PST chronology project
« Last post by GreyFox on Today at 10:16:30 PM »
Late to the party but here's mine:
Cabela's holster
Leatherman on both sides of pliers and one sire of knife
Inch scale
No hard wire arrow
Lanyard attachment
Rivets

Leatherman 3.jpg
* Leatherman 3.jpg (Filesize: 181.39 KB)

Leatherman 3.jpg

Leatherman 3.jpg
The Break Room / Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
« Last post by Grant Lamontagne on Today at 10:13:35 PM »
As an addendum to the California Trip thread I have a bit more EV experience than I did a week ago.

We ended up with a Kia Niro as a rental car for a couple of days (I'll post the story in the California thread since it's more appropriate there) and I did enjoy the opportunity to drive it- even though I really dislike Kias in general.  That having been said, this was a nice enough car.  I didn't care for the driver assist crapola, but that's a problem in most modern cars and not just EV's. 

If I owned it, I'd have gone to the effort to learn how to shut it all off!   :twak:

But I don't, so no worries.  It was a decent enough car in it's own right, and the all digital dash was neat.  I wish it had a few mre hardware buttons, particularly for the climate control, but again, that's not an EV specific problem.

As with most EV's, I never felt it was lacking for power, and despite picking it up at only 60% charge, I really didn't feel any range anxiety, even though I knew I would have to drive it from Sonoma to San Francisco, and I'd already seen SF traffic up close.   :facepalm:

We did have a bit of faffing about getting it charged though- the first EV station we found actually offered free charging, but it was only a Level 1 charge.  If I had known it was there, I'd have charged the car while we went out for breakfast, rather than going for breakfast and a walk before deciding to charge the car.   :facepalm:

Not a serious problem, just need a bit of better planning in the future.

We decided to go find an Electrify America charging station, knowing that I'd have to pay for charging, but it would be (at least) a Level 2 charger.  It was also only a block away, so it's not like we had far to go.

When I plugged in at the EA station the car was reading 50% charge already, which is no surprise as we hadn't driven that far/much since picking it up the day before.

We decided to go for a walk, and one thing lead to another and we came back a while after charging was completed.  I know this is a big no no, but I did it anyway and paid the price.  What should have been a $15 charge was about $30 as I paid a hefty penalty for "camping."   :facepalm:

Again, better planning would have avoided that.

What gets to me is that the car we had before that (VW Passat) had cost us $83 to fill from 1/4 tank to full. 

The EV, a bigger, heavier car, cost less than half as much to charge (admittedly slightly less since it was a half charge vs 3/4 tank), even considering I paid twice as much out of my own stupidity. 

Looking at the math, and removing my idiot charges they compare like this:

$83.00/3= 27.67 for a quarter of a tank
$15.00/2= 5.00 for a 25% charge

And, that was at a public charger- if I was to charge a vehicle at home I could seriously get much cheaper charging.  Currently here at home I am paying $.17/kwh in Canadian dollars, while we were charging at $.54/kwh in US dollars.

Converting for convenience:

$0.17 CAD = $0.12 USD
$0.54 USD = $0.74 CAD

So, the $15 I spent on charging works out to (roughly) 27.78kwh, and if charged at home would have been $3.34.

That is a massive savings.

For the fun of it, I also looked at the cost of road tripping to my father's house, about 2300km away from here.

Using the same Jeep vs Ford Lightning numbers I did in my post above, I calculated the cost at just over $640 to drive from my house to my father's, or almost $1300 round trip in my Jeep.

The same trip in the Lightning, using the stated numbers from Ford (yes, yes, I know that's under ideal conditions, I'll never get those numbers blah blah blah- I'll get to that) the same trip would cost about $96 one way or less than $200 for a round trip.   :ahhh

That number isn't entirely accurate though, as the cost is based on home charging, and I don't have an extension cord long enough for the whole 2300km journey, so figure it costs several times as much to charge at a station.

But, it would have to be six times more expensive just to break even, and I doubt very much the difference is that great.

What's also an interesting factor is that in order to get there, I have to drive through the Appellation mountains (yes, that range goes through Canada too) which means lots of up and downhill driving, which is hard on an internal combustion engine.  I know, I have driven them many times, with and without fully loaded trailers.   :facepalm:

I feel like the EV, not having to build up power (instant torque) would likely handle the uphill sections better, and recharge on the downhill sections, while the ICE has to burn gas both ways. 

Do any of you EV drivers have any experience with that specifically?  I'd like to hear if that's true or not.

All in all, I am really thinking the Lightning is the way to go.

On my trip I spotted a number of Rivians, both the pickup and SUV versions and I really like them.  That is absolutely a beautiful vehicle, but Rivian is facing some financial issues right now, and I hope they aren't circling the drain.  That's the main reason I am leaning towards the Lightning rather than the Rivian.

I also finally saw a Cybertruck in real life.

I thought it was extremely hideous in the photos and videos I have seen of it, but now that I have seen it in real life, in the flesh, I no longer think it's hideous.

I think it is an affront to every God there ever was.   :facepalm:

And not in a good way. 

I was also finally able to ride in a regular Tesla model (an Uber in SF) and I was really impressed with it.  The side scanning sensor was really cool. I really liked the Tesla, and yet I'd still rather take a ball peen hammer to my soft bits rather than drive a Cybertruck.   :ahhh

I don't care how awesome the tech is, that item should never have been allowed off the drawing board. 

I don't even want to call it a truck.  It is (at best) the gaudiest man jewelry you can get.  It is an oversized gold bracelet for the man bun crowd.

And, as an added bonus, it will cut you.   :facepalm:

The best I can hope for is that it fails despite the vast amounts of $$ behind it, and Rivian continued to falter despite having the first and probably best electric truck on the road, and Tesla buys them out, installs their software and features into Rivian's truck and starts producing something nice.

They'd be unstoppable.

Def
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Pauldmmwc on Today at 10:11:20 PM »
Hello Day 19
Another one from the collection.
A gift tin with a micra. 

:cheers:
The Mod Squad / Re: Two 74mm alox mods
« Last post by lazar on Today at 10:09:45 PM »
Very cool!   :hatsoff:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: See-through Sunday
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 10:05:17 PM »
Actually me too.  It's a beautiful knife!
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: The Vic Ranger club!
« Last post by Gareth on Today at 09:43:59 PM »
I was happy with a Huntsman  for years but it’s your fault Gareth that I got a Ranger in the post the other day  :think: :surrender:  :mail:

I would feel bad, but that's exactly my story too.  :D I hope you enjoy it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%