Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Victorinox Spirit Challenge
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 02:11:12 AM »
We knew you'd make it!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
I'm here guys haha   :woohoo: iv'e been really busy this week i'm a bit late sorry  but here i am  :woohoo: :woohoo:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Victorinox Spirit Challenge
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 02:10:37 AM »
 :iagree: MrTJ, thats my favorite tool here too!  So many uses.
Leatherman Tools / Re: Free T4 or K4 Magnetic opening vs SAK
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 02:09:20 AM »
I agree with Pa.  They're a lot easier to deal with. 
Gerber Tools / Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 02:08:20 AM »
Anytime!  Just let me know if I can help.  I've had one for years now. 
General Tool Discussion / Re: Flashlight Challenge - June 2024
« Last post by Sos24 on Today at 01:56:22 AM »
Same here now. I still feel the urge but once something picks up it’s first inevitable scar the pressures off and you can just enjoy them.

They are definitely well made, and made to be used hard :tu:

Day 2
Little malkoff MDC head on a lumens factory body and tail cap.

This little light is a favourite and sees lots of use. I think malkoff have updated it as this one is an older model but until this one fails (i think I will fail first) i am holding off on replacing it.
I really like Malkoff lights.  I have an MDC with the HA LMH Rechargeable head.  It is well-built, reliable and Made in USA.

I am actually thinking of getting one of his heads to upgrade my old incandescent Surefire E2D.
Edged Tools / Re: Giants of June/Big Blades Challenge - June 2024
« Last post by nate j on Today at 01:45:33 AM »
Day 2

This is the Buck 119 Special.

It is the plain Jane version with 420HC steel, aluminum guard and pommel, and black phenolic handle.  It’s 6” blade puts it cleanly in bounds for this challenge.

Possibly Buck’s most popular fixed blade, it was once common to see these for sale many places, including Walmart.

I’ve never routinely carried this one, but it did ride around in the center console of one of my vehicles for some years.

At the time I bought it, it came with the nylon and plastic sheath shown, which, while not an outstanding sheath, is IMO better than the leather sheaths that are presently provided.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Alox Addict 30 Day Challenge - June 2024
« Last post by zrxoa1 on Today at 01:44:46 AM »
Day 2, final bonus:

Time to feed the fur babies. Added some hot dogs to their food, for a little treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reviews / Warthog Elite A4 Sharpener
« Last post by David Bowen on Today at 01:29:10 AM »
When it comes to sharpening, there's a myriad of ways to get the job done. There's freehand, fixed angle, motorized, crock sticks, and even pull through. Throughout millennia, man has used many ways to get his gear sharp, and just when you think we've exhausted new ways to get the job done, someone comes up with a fresh idea. One such innovation comes from the folks at Warthog Sharpeners.

Warthog was started with the simple aim of creating a better knife sharpener. They wanted to give people the ability to sharpen their knives to a professional level without having to send them to an expert. They began operating in 1999 and have been manufacturing and exporting high-quality diamond knife sharpeners for more than 20 years. Warthog saw there was nothing on the market that sharpened blades expertly and quickly while still being easy to use. They put their heads together and, in 2000, they designed and manufactured the first V-Sharp sharpener. Warthog proudly manufactures in Garden Route in George, South Africa.

Today we're checking out the company's Elite A4 V-Sharp model. This system features a metal frame with a durable powder coat finish and comes with a wooden base. The A4 comes with a 325 grit diamond hone, with a finishing steel on the opposite side. The system has the ability to sharpen knives at four adjustable angles: 15, 20, 25, and 30 degrees. The wonderful people at Warthog also provided additional grits to further refine the edge. Those extras include 270, 600, and 1000 grit hones, and a ceramic hone. It doesn't help with testing, but the company laser engraved the wooden base with our logo. It's a nice touch and offers some personalization to the product.

Taking the A4 Elite out of the box, there is no foam insert, no typical packaging mess. The unit is in the box with its base, screws for attaching said base, and a pamphlet detailing some product info. Assembling the base was easy, only requiring a flat-head screwdriver. The 325 grit hones were already installed and ready to go. The unit is preassembled, with nothing to install unlike other systems. I did notice that the knobs on the system were a little loose, causing some tension issues. A couple of quick turns, and we're ready to go.

The system works by drawing the knife through the V-shaped opening in the middle. This is where the two diamond hones intersect, hitting both sides of the apex at the same time. The wooden base does a great job of keeping things stable during sharpening. The system also has a flat area on the top corner that you hold to aid in stability. It feels very natural to hold, versus laying a hand on the base. The motion of the system can be very zen or hypnotic as you repeatedly pull the knife through. The whole thing is very unique in the sharpener world, and I don't recall anything else like it.

The stones themselves are a complete opposite of norms, just like the system. The stones are not very large at all, maybe 4" x .25", which makes them convenient for storage. Snapping them into the system is done by putting the shorter end in the bottom notch, marked for which angle you want to set, and the longer end snaps onto the top. There's no wrong way to put the hones in, making things pretty intuitive. The hones snap into the system with authority, giving you reassurance that they won't come out unless you want them to. Warthog provides a tool for removing the hones, but you can use the spine of your knife to pop them off. The default 325 grit hone that comes pre-installed should handle most sharpening needs. It's really nice how each hone comes with a steel, helping finalize the edge left by the coarse hone. 325 is pretty rough, and manufacturers don't normally ship a knife out with less than around 600 grit. The lower grit edge is not as refined but will definitely have a toothier edge. That's why I feel the additional grits are a must-purchase for the system. If you plan on using this routinely, you'll get a smoother performing edge by progressing through the grit up to 1000. Warthog recommends that people sharpen knives at 25°, followed by the steel at 30°. Though 20° is more normal, the higher angle and micro-bevel will produce an edge that's more robust.

Warthog makes an amazing system that's unique in the sharpening world. It's a blend of different systems, combined with an ease of use that's hard to match. Not only is the A4 Elite easy to use, but its results are repeatable. I'm learning that some of the more unique systems are somewhat geographically locked. Yes, you can buy a Warthog here in the USA, but I don't hear people talking about them. However, in their corner of the world, they're popular. If you're looking for something that you can sit on a bench, ready to use at a moment's notice, that's the A4. It's a super nice system that's well deserving of attention.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

General Tool Discussion / Re: Which EDC item will you NEVER get?
« Last post by nate j on Today at 01:15:14 AM »
Well, to be frank, I see more items listed by others in this thread that I currently carry, or at least have tried carrying at some point, than things I would never get.  A few highlights:

- small pry bar - I EDC a PWII, and don’t plan to give it up any time soon.  I can exert a surprising amount of force with it, and without any worry of damaging it.  Other functions, including wrench, ruler, and heavy duty flathead screwdriver, add to the utility.

- Rechargeable Li-ion battery-powered flashlight - Yes, there’s a very small risk of fire/thermal runaway, which is one of the reasons you won’t find me holding a flashlight in my mouth.  However, the energy-to-weight ratio is simply unrivaled by anything else presently available.

- (Usually) four knives - Do I need to carry four?  No, but each one kind of has its own little niche uses, and it makes me happy.  Could I get by with one?  Probably; I could just carry a Vic Climber or Mountaineer all the time, and it would probably do about 98% of what I need, but where would the fun be in that?

- Firearms/weapons - I sometimes carry these.  They are like fire extinguishers or flood insurance; you hope like smurf you never need it, but if you do, you will be very glad you had it.

- Lip balm - OK, I generally don’t EDC this.  My lips do get chapped in the winter, but I generally find 1-2 applications per day sufficient, so it pretty much stays in the bathroom.

- Pen (but no paper) - Why do I carry a pen?  It’s easier, more pleasant, and probably more hygienic to carry my own that I know will write than to try to borrow a pen from someone else or have to hunt around for one, and then half the time fight with it trying to get it to write right.  Why no paper?  I don’t generally use it to keep notes or write messages; I have a smart phone for those things.  I use my pen to make out checks, sign receipts, fill out forms at work, doctors or dentists offices, etc. so the paper is provided.

- Expensive knives - I suppose this is relative, and we all have our different thresholds.

So what EDC items will I never get?  Well, unless I’m hiking or camping, I refuse to be burdened with a backpack (or murse, man bag, etc.).  I made the switch from jeans to cargo pants/shorts years ago, but anything that is too large, bulky, or heavy to go in my pockets isn’t something I’m going to EDC.
The Break Room / Re: Who else is playing Wordle?
« Last post by Echotech on Today at 01:01:40 AM »
Wordle 1,080 3/6

🟨
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95