Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC in DEC

Nix · 2113 · 44749

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Re: EDC in DEC
Reply #2070 on: December 31, 2020, 02:22:47 AM
Day 30!!!!

First of all: Thanks Nix for one more challenge. Inventive as usual!

And thanks for everyone here. For all kindly words and comments.

Today was really busy. I reunited only part of my EDC.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2071 on: December 31, 2020, 02:24:04 AM
Day 30
Today was a Spirit day, with the combo tool opening a box and breaking down a couple others, the small driver adjusting the flame on my lighter, and the scissors cutting a couple tags.

I thought I’d end with a picture of my organizer pouch that is the heart of my edc.

(Image removed from quote.)

It is no surprise to me that much of my carry will not change just because it is the result of a few years iterative process.

The pouch will definitely stay the same, although I may change or add/remove now and then based on what else I am carrying.  One change that will be happening is instead of loose sheets of Rite in the Rain paper, I will be adding a mini notebook (about size of two stacked credit cards) that I recently discovered.  I am also thinking about replacing the ziploc bag with a 1L dry dag which I think will be more durable and versatile. 

The Spirit will get change now and again depending on challenges or mood.  The Spirit is definitely a great option and fits the pouch fine, so it could easily remain and I’d be happy.  Being that it is the new Spirit MXBS, I discovered that I found more use than expected of the serrated blade and didn’t really miss the saw.  The OHO tabs aren’t as easy to use as some other methods but they do work and do not get in the way which is the big thing. 

The HDS flashlight will not be going anywhere.  Despite being a little bigger and heavier than some other flashlights, I love everything else about this light from tint to varying brightness, runtime, durability, etc.

The Yeoman is still awesome as I already knew, including the scales, but if carrying I like it in the organizer better than loose in pocket.  I’d probably stick to a traditional pocket knife as complement to an MT.

One item that still has not been resolved and will be getting changed out is the keychain flashlight.  The Mini One comes on sometimes in my pocket unless I use the lockout, which then takes more time to turn on.  This month I got a Rovyvon Aurora A8x that I’m going to try out.  It requires a double click to turn on which may prevent it accidentally turning on.

Great to see that the new MXBS has gotten your approval Sherry  :tu:

The accidental switch-to-on problem on small keychain style lights is not new but still ongoing on many lights  ::)

I'm eyeballing the Nitecore Tiki  which looks quite safe on that aspect. And the additional UV led is a nice feature too.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2072 on: December 31, 2020, 02:25:28 AM
Day 30!!!!

First of all: Thanks Nix for one more challenge. Inventive as usual!

And thanks for everyone here. For all kindly words and comments.

Today was really busy. I reunited only part of my EDC.

:like: :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2073 on: December 31, 2020, 02:34:59 AM
Thank you very much Steve  :cheers:

:iagree:   Thanks, Steve!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2074 on: December 31, 2020, 02:36:17 AM

Day 30!!!!

Well done, Hevy!  And congratulations on your first 30-day challenge!

:clap:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2075 on: December 31, 2020, 02:37:36 AM

I thought I’d end with a picture of my organizer pouch that is the heart of my edc.

Always a good idea to build from a solid foundation.   :D  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2076 on: December 31, 2020, 02:41:05 AM
 :iagree:  Our prayers are with you folks...I'm glad you are safe. 
Good to hear that you and your family are safe  :salute: Wishing all the best for the people affected.
Barry

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2077 on: December 31, 2020, 02:46:03 AM
I'm eyeballing the Nitecore Tiki  which looks quite safe on that aspect. And the additional UV led is a nice feature too.

Been very happy with my TIKI since I got it McS, had it in my pocket for the entire challenge with no accidental switch ons :cheers:

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #2078 on: December 31, 2020, 02:46:55 AM
Hello on day 30 . I am bit late but there has been  packing and some travelling and then some unpacking  Home from camping. Managed to get the tent and poles back into their bag which us always good.
Day 30 pic is my ensemble of edc gear.
Most used probably the Polar Bottle drink bottle and then the wallet providing for the womenfolk.
Wave is now going for a shower as she fell into the beach sand and is now very crunchy.

Thanks for the challenge and alll the great pics. Great to see how the other half lives aye ?
Wish all the MTO   team a fantastic  2021 and hope you stay clear of the dreaded lurgy.
 :hatsoff:
 :cheers:
 :drink: for you al.

day 30.jpg
* day 30.jpg (Filesize: 149.03 KB)
Semper Sitienti !!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2079 on: December 31, 2020, 02:58:07 AM
 :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2080 on: December 31, 2020, 03:26:07 AM
I have worried that the light might get drained with accidental activation. This doesn't seem to happen when carrying the Sig Lite in my 5th pocket. I carry it shield-side inwards (the shield is the activation button.) Even if I press on the knife, the light is not activated. And here, 30-days later, the battery is still strong.

Here is a shot of the light illuminating a little used closet in my very dark garage:

The light is bright enough to illuminate a large room adequately enough to navigate without bumping into things. I would not rely on it to go gator hunting.....but then I don't hunt gators, so this is not an issue.  Awl in awl, I find the light to be useful as an EDC, look under the couch, locate the waste where the dog just went at night, inspect a dark corner, sort of light.  I don't feel the need for anything more.

:dunno:

Thanks for the mini review.  I will keep that in mind.  Sounds like a great mini-tool when pocket space is at a premium or even possibly neck carry when no pockets.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2081 on: December 31, 2020, 03:55:58 AM
Great to see that the new MXBS has gotten your approval Sherry  :tu:

The accidental switch-to-on problem on small keychain style lights is not new but still ongoing on many lights  ::)

The accidental on is why I had been using screw on ones, but thought I’d give a couple newer multi-feature ones a shot.

I do have a Tiki, but have not carried it either because I got it at the same time as the A8x.  Both appear nice and I think will be better for not turning off than the Mini One because they have the “double click” on.  The A8x will get the first try though because of the red light feature in addition to HiCri and UV.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #2082 on: December 31, 2020, 09:38:15 AM
Day 31:
Finally got to use my flask as well! Lighting up the fire place and having a small dram ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2083 on: December 31, 2020, 09:45:43 AM
EDC 30:

Great wrap!

For this EDC challenge, I went with a light-weight, low-drag set up. In retrospect this was a good choice as I was not very active during this challenge. I'd like to got through each item and comment on it's use....or lack there of.

• Bandana -- this got used a few times to wipe of my reading glasses. I always carry a bandana for the multitude of uses a nice piece of cloth can be put to. This month....just a couple of times to wipe off the reading glasses. While this proved to be a low-use item, I wouldn't be caught without one. Keep.

• Wallet -- used multiple times. In reality, I only used the credit card. The wallet proved to be entirely extraneous....though it still seems like a good idea to have my driver's license with me...... Keep.

• String -- this is me being a bit of a string geek. I never used my two strings during the challenge. If I had gone for longer hikes or camping or fishing.....perhaps the string would have come in handy. A zero-use item....but one that doesn't take up much space or weight.  Keep (because I like string.).

• House keys with tools -- I didn't use any of the tools. The 4-way driver, widgy bar, and tweezers were nice to have along.....but not needed. To parse out the tools....based on past experience, not just this challenge, the Widgy bar gets a Keep, Tweezers get a Keep, 4-way driver.....uhhhh.... Remove.

• Money clip -- used some of the cash....a couple of times. Cash is good. Having cash handy without having to pull out a wallet is nice (my opinion). The Money clip gets a solid Keep.

• Pocket caddy -- excellent bit of kit. Keep.

• Lighter -- the lighter got used to light a few candles during the challenge. It was nice to have.....but....there were matches close at hand most of the times I used the lighter. Remove.

• BAK -- The knife blade and the can/bottle opener got used. The driver tip never got used...a bit to my surprise. Overall I was really pleased with this knife. It did a great job with the chicken challenge and opening boxes. For apple cutting....less so...but it's performance was acceptable. In my mind the BAK is comparable to the Soldier or a Spartan. A Spartan would have served me better....yes, I missed that corkscrew a couple of times...however, I have to say the BAK strikes me as a more rugged and tough knife. I carried a Farmer on active duty and it served me well, but the BAK seems to be a tougher, "hard use", sort of knife. It strikes me as being as rugged as a pocket knife can be.....and for a limited toolset it was remarkably useful.  Again, because of circumstances, I never "needed" the BAK. A can opener or kitchen knife was always close to hand. However, as an EDC item I think the BAK is excellent and I recommend it. More than a SAK?  Don't be silly. However....stuck on a U-boat in the North Atlantic.....maybe I would rather have the BAK. Next time....maybe with a marlin spike..... The BAK could be removed because the 58 proved so useful....but I'm giving it a Keep.

• Victorinox Signature Lite -- the 58 proved to be the most useful piece of the EDC. It got used to open mail and packages. The nail file got used a few times. The scissors were used numerous times. Today alone the 58 got used to peel an orange, open a box (containing a fixie!), and open a package of loose tea. The pen was used when out and about for mailing off parcels or labelling food at the organic food store. The light never got used in anger, but it was nice to have. Since the Sig Lite had a light, I didn't need to carry an extra AAA light. I would say that the Sig Lite was the most used bit of EDC kit. This is my first Signature Lite and I really, really like it. There were a few times when I accidentally activated the light (it is easy to depress the switch.). Because of this, if you are considering a career as a ninja, cat-burglar, or spy, I would not recommend it. Otherwise I would say a Sig Lite might take the place of my beloved Vic Classic. Keep, Keep, and Keep.

Great wrap! :like:

Some badges awarded   :cheers:
Thank you, Steve!

Day 30
Today was a Spirit day, with the combo tool opening a box and breaking down a couple others, the small driver adjusting the flame on my lighter, and the scissors cutting a couple tags.

It is no surprise to me that much of my carry will not change just because it is the result of a few years iterative process.

The pouch will definitely stay the same, although I may change or add/remove now and then based on what else I am carrying.  One change that will be happening is instead of loose sheets of Rite in the Rain paper, I will be adding a mini notebook (about size of two stacked credit cards) that I recently discovered.  I am also thinking about replacing the ziploc bag with a 1L dry dag which I think will be more durable and versatile. 

The Spirit will get change now and again depending on challenges or mood.  The Spirit is definitely a great option and fits the pouch fine, so it could easily remain and I’d be happy.  Being that it is the new Spirit MXBS, I discovered that I found more use than expected of the serrated blade and didn’t really miss the saw.  The OHO tabs aren’t as easy to use as some other methods but they do work and do not get in the way which is the big thing. 

The HDS flashlight will not be going anywhere.  Despite being a little bigger and heavier than some other flashlights, I love everything else about this light from tint to varying brightness, runtime, durability, etc.

The Yeoman is still awesome as I already knew, including the scales, but if carrying I like it in the organizer better than loose in pocket.  I’d probably stick to a traditional pocket knife as complement to an MT.

One item that still has not been resolved and will be getting changed out is the keychain flashlight.  The Mini One comes on sometimes in my pocket unless I use the lockout, which then takes more time to turn on.  This month I got a Rovyvon Aurora A8x that I’m going to try out.  It requires a double click to turn on which may prevent it accidentally turning on.

I remembered having a conversation with you about the caddy, still like this a lot and haven't got around to ask for the custom.  Partly I am worry the style or dimensions won't work well, and it may be a waste of money and time.  After this challenge, I think I am definitely more convinced about a well designed caddy is definitely worth the penny.

wales Online GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2084 on: December 31, 2020, 09:51:14 AM
Congratulations everyone  :hatsoff:

Though I bowed out I've been following along with this thread and (despite adding Christmas prezzies) have still been using my chosen EDC for the duration.

Excellent challenge Nix and well done to allow that participated  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2086 on: December 31, 2020, 11:19:23 AM
Been very happy with my TIKI since I got it McS, had it in my pocket for the entire challenge with no accidental switch ons :cheers:

That's excellent, thanks Eco  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2087 on: December 31, 2020, 01:56:20 PM
The accidental on is why I had been using screw on ones, but thought I’d give a couple newer multi-feature ones a shot.

I do have a Tiki, but have not carried it either because I got it at the same time as the A8x.  Both appear nice and I think will be better for not turning off than the Mini One because they have the “double click” on.  The A8x will get the first try though because of the red light feature in addition to HiCri and UV.

:hatsoff:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #2088 on: December 31, 2020, 03:05:09 PM
Day 31:
Finally got to use my flask as well! Lighting up the fire place and having a small dram ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:like: Nice choice.

Mrs Surge is from the region that produces Barolo, Barbera & Barbaresco (known as the 3 B's)  :drink:
They don't like it up 'em!

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #2089 on: December 31, 2020, 03:45:11 PM
^
Piedmonte? Nice! Fiat and Slow Food lift it into my top regions. Whilst I do prefer Brunello (fan of Sangiovese) one can't argue against the mighty Barolo..
Cheers!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2090 on: December 31, 2020, 06:14:42 PM
Thanks everyone for making this an interesting challenge.   :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2091 on: December 31, 2020, 06:17:13 PM
 :iagree:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2092 on: December 31, 2020, 06:27:56 PM
Totally  :iagree:  :like:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #2093 on: January 01, 2021, 01:08:14 AM
:like: Nice choice.

Mrs Surge is from the region that produces Barolo, Barbera & Barbaresco (known as the 3 B's)  :drink:
Very nice Mr. Surge.
My wife's family is from Italy. It's nice!

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #2094 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:01 AM
Day 31

Hook use!!! Yeah!!!

The only reason to buy a can with pull tab!

Thanks everyone for this awesome challenge!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2095 on: January 01, 2021, 04:45:58 AM
Well this was an awesome challenge.  I think it was a great note to end the year on.
Thanks to Nix for creating it and everyone else for the great participation.

Happy New Year to all.:cheers:

The water bottle is still in use (background), but I am doing a little beer drinking too.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2096 on: January 01, 2021, 05:51:16 AM
 :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2097 on: January 01, 2021, 10:48:02 AM
Day 31

Hook use!!! Yeah!!!

The only reason to buy a can with pull tab!

Thanks everyone for this awesome challenge!(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2098 on: January 01, 2021, 10:50:26 AM
Well this was an awesome challenge.  I think it was a great note to end the year on.
Thanks to Nix for creating it and everyone else for the great participation.

Happy New Year to all.:cheers:
The water bottle is still in use (background), but I am doing a little beer drinking too.

Happy New Year to All
Hope you'll enjoy the 111mm challenge Sherry  :salute:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2099 on: January 01, 2021, 11:06:48 AM
Happy New Year to All
Hope you'll enjoy the 111mm challenge Sherry  :salute:
Happy New Year.  I’m looking forward to the 111.  Hope you enjoy some pocket time with the Wave.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%