Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

upcoming new SOG Multitool Spring 2022: Flash MT

Offline Nob00st

upcoming new SOG Multitool Spring 2022: Flash MT
on: October 25, 2021, 08:53:06 PM
hey all, I got a sneak peak at the SOG Catalog for Spring 2022.  I ran this by their PR guy before posting, they have a new multitool coming out that I'm pretty stoked for: the Flash MT.

7 implements, compound leverage pliers, long reach 4mm bit driver with two sided bit, assisted open D2 blade, bottle opener/large straight driver, seems like it might be a winner.  only weighs 4.7 ounces, could be a contender for the Skeletool CX.  i'm hoping to get one for a review as soon as I can get my hands on it.  Nice to see SOG bringing out some new stuff.

* FlashMT2.jpg (Filesize: 108 KB)

* FlashMT1.jpg (Filesize: 119.78 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: upcoming new SOG Multitool Spring 2022: Flash MT
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:42:33 AM
Interesting.  Hope I can see one in person next year.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 04:59:25 AM
Reactor 2.0
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:50:27 AM
So what is innovative about it?  :think:
There's nothing new here.

When I first saw the picture, I thought it looked like the Outu multi-tool, or the NexTool 5024, so I thought they just put SOG on that one, like they did with the Outu. Not innovative, but at least it's better than the Outu. Those scissors are excellent.

Offline Nob00st

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 10:13:12 PM
I dont have my hands on it yet, it just reminds me of the Skeletool in that it focuses on just doing a few things well - good one hand opening blade in a good steel, decent pliers, a long reach but driver and a bottle opener.  And its lighter. I don't think there's a lot of true innovating left to do in multitools at this point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 03:14:39 AM
I can see this as a replacement for my Gerber Crucial (the black/law enforcement model with the strap cutter in place of carabiner), which isn't the best design, and is really beginning to show its age.

No offense, but my only problem is that I don't really care for assisted open blades.

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 06:10:55 AM
For the size it looks pretty good, like a mini version of the Reactor. If they continue w/ the upward motion on their QC and make it work better than the reactor that would be helpful. My main gripe is w/ the assisted opening. Assisted opening on a pocket knife is almost always kind of silly. But, on a multi-tool, it's downright idiotic (IMHO). The mechanism is far more likely to get lost or damaged than it would be on a regular pocket knife due to the kind of tasks a multitool has to perform.

us Offline x86Daddy

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 06:32:14 AM
The shots make it look very much like the Reactor... if the assist mechanism is the same, it'll also be a point of failure.  I found my Reactor sitting on its shelf with the blade half open and not shuttable anymore one day because the shutting part of the mechanism failed by metal fatigue.  Warranty department said they'd send a different tool in exchange, so instead I tore it down and modded it to a manual blade that would actually shut again.  Apparently, other people had the same failure with some frequency too, so I'm hoping the Flash MT revamps the whole thing.

I'd prefer it if they used the "press the inverted crossguard part of the blade" sort of assist mechanism, as those knives seem a lot less prone to fail, being so simple.  Still looking forward to the Flash MT either way; hoping for improvements.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 07:39:13 PM
IF...and that is a big IF they can deliver on the quality..this will be a true contender for competition in the Skeletool size range. I'm also very curious if it will have proper opening ratio like the PowerPint.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 12:34:20 PM
Everyone is comparing it to the Skeletool and saying it is a compact tool.

The Skeletool is not a compact tool- with the carabiner it is just as big as a full sized tool, but with a lot less functions.  Them, when they took the fancy carabiner off, they also thre out the but driver.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Freestyle, but it is painfully limited.

If SOG's new masters can kick the quality up a bit, whole keeping the price reasonable, I'd really be looking forward to this one.

I really like the Reactor despite its quality issues because it is everything the Skeletool is, but better as it is a smaller package, with all the same functions, and a proper 1/4" driver- not those idiotic flat bits.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 10:48:56 PM

New shotshow vid of the Flash MT.

Looks like a good year for SOG

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 02:52:59 AM

New shotshow vid of the Flash MT.

Looks like a good year for SOG

(jump to 15:00 to see it)

I wasn't interested in that tool until I saw it in this video.  I think that size of tool is under represented among the other leading multitool brands.  I might have to pick one up.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 07:11:17 AM
I'm still waiting for the rebranding to kick in so we can get mind-blowing new stuff. :cheers:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 12:36:48 PM
I'm still waiting for the rebranding to kick in so we can get mind-blowing new stuff. :cheers:

:rofl: same

Although their knives do look a lot better these days, this multitool.... is not it
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 08:38:19 PM
     Got an email from knife center and the flash multitool appears to be in stock. No affiliation with this site just passing it along to those who might be interested.

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 09:45:57 PM
Appreciate the heads up.  Just bought one!

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 03:30:38 PM
     Glad to be of service. Hope this turns out to be a good tool for SOG. Look forward to your opinion of this new tool.

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2022, 08:42:38 PM
Thank you!  Just got the Gerber Stake Out as well.  Now waiting on the Gerber Dualforce!

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 06:43:43 AM
I was able to get mine really fast because I live in the same state as Knife Center. I have my inital impressions up on YT.

I just really wish it hadn't been assisted..It feels like it creates more problems than anything. Even if its legal..its still not necessary.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 01:57:47 AM
I was able to get mine really fast because I live in the same state as Knife Center. I have my inital impressions up on YT.

I just really wish it hadn't been assisted..It feels like it creates more problems than anything. Even if its legal..its still not necessary.

I believe the assist was to make it more easy/reliable to deploy the blade with gloves and... it's the Flash, they're assisted.

What problems would being assisted create besides a small amount of resistance closing it?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 10:00:02 PM
I almost purchased this from the Knife Center, but I watched the video again and just realized that there is no screwdriver bit ready to go when you open the tool - it's always stored in the handle and you have to connect it to use it.  I think that is a big miss in the design, and now I think I might pass on this tool.  :(

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 06:16:16 PM
I almost purchased this from the Knife Center, but I watched the video again and just realized that there is no screwdriver bit ready to go when you open the tool - it's always stored in the handle and you have to connect it to use it.  I think that is a big miss in the design, and now I think I might pass on this tool.  :(

There is no way the tool could be designed like that...When the reactor was released it was returned often because the torque of the Driver twisted the frame and ruined the plier head connection. Although this is slightly more inconvenient, no more so than switching Skeletool bits. On top of that.I can easily open the Flash MT pliers one handed. I cant do that at ALL with the skeletool with any consistency. So definitely a give and take. I have other issues with the Flash MT, such as gear ratio...why not do the same as the PowerPint?? It would have made it SOOO much better imo.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2022, 08:41:26 PM
This one is limited in functionality, and SOG "quality" has been so lacking that I am staying away from them for the foreseeable future.  The only Challenge I have ever dropped out of was the SOG Power Access, which had wobbly tools that would inadvertently deploy past 180 degrees, a main blade so thin (edge to spin dimension) that I could have snapped it in half with my fingers, and a "file" that was as smooth as a baby's hind shanks.

In my view, SOG isn't even trying to make decent MTs any more.  I bought a ton of SOGs back in the day, both knives and MTs, but they've been playing games with us for quite a while and it gets tiresome.

YMMV.    :salute:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 07, 2022, 10:13:48 PM
There is no way the tool could be designed like that...When the reactor was released it was returned often because the torque of the Driver twisted the frame and ruined the plier head connection. Although this is slightly more inconvenient, no more so than switching Skeletool bits. On top of that.I can easily open the Flash MT pliers one handed. I cant do that at ALL with the skeletool with any consistency. So definitely a give and take. I have other issues with the Flash MT, such as gear ratio...why not do the same as the PowerPint?? It would have made it SOOO much better imo.

But my Skeletool bit stays on the Philips head like 90% of the time.  With the SOG, I would have to remove the bit from the holder, insert it in the driver, then remove it when done, then replace it in the holder... besides being inconvenient, that's a lot of opportunities to drop that little bit.  :ahhh

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: March 07, 2022, 10:56:41 PM
I was going to say that if you dropped the bit, you would be screwed.  And then I was going to say that I just made a driver pun.  But that would be stupid, so I won't say it.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 11:03:08 PM
I was going to say that if you dropped the bit, you would be screwed.  And then I was going to say that I just made a driver pun.  But that would be stupid, so I won't say it.

:rofl:

us Offline CK

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 01:19:57 AM
Just got my Flash MT today!  Probably going to send it back.  The knife blade rubs on the liner lock through the deployment (it's not smooth and sounds like it's grinding)... and yeah.  Just don't see this replacing the skeletool.

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 04:23:02 AM
But my Skeletool bit stays on the Philips head like 90% of the time.  With the SOG, I would have to remove the bit from the holder, insert it in the driver, then remove it when done, then replace it in the holder... besides being inconvenient, that's a lot of opportunities to drop that little bit.  :ahhh

I mean..if you use the Philips that much, it makes perfect sense to go with the Skeletool, I can say from experience I've lost Leatherman bits while switching them..I bet this one is just as bad  :facepalm:

Just got my Flash MT today!  Probably going to send it back.  The knife blade rubs on the liner lock through the deployment (it's not smooth and sounds like it's grinding)... and yeah.  Just don't see this replacing the skeletool.

This is what I was afraid of..bad QC. Curious to see how many more have this issue.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2022, 11:40:37 AM
Discouraging.
So, during this meta-multitool craze age, it's all about Victorinox and Leatherman.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 01:32:57 AM
I just ordered mine through Knife Center. I've been looking forward to this one since the reactor was discontinued. The bit holder on mine broke, they replaced it with a Poweraccess. I don't care for it, and I've really missed the reactor since. I mainly used the blade and pliers. I rarely used the screwdriver so I'm hoping the Flash MT is a hit   :popcorn:  To be fair, the main thing I enjoyed was the form factor. It was so much easier to carry than the Skeletool. I'll check back in once it arrives.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%