Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Attack of the Clone

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Attack of the Clone
on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:20 AM
No, this isn't another Star Wars prequel, this is a comparison of the Leatherman Crunch and it's clone, the Silverline tool.

Both are brushed stainless, but the Silverline seems to have been polished much more than the Crunch.  It certainly gives it a much brighter finish, which is compounded by the fact that this is a user Crunch, with little to no interest in looking fancy.  It has worked hard in it's life and it doesn't give a rat's arse about looking pretty, which, IMHO is the right attitude for a tool.  If you want something pretty, go buy a Van Gogh.

From the lock side edge they are virtually indistinguishable- the folks at Silverline (top) sure did their homework when copying the Crunch (bottom).

Or did they? 

Even through my blurry photos you can see that Silverline forgot the ruler.  Whoops.   :-[

But hey, get over it- that ruler is only good for measuring things up to six inches long.  Get yer pants back on and get back to work you lazy bum!   :twak:

The jaws look very similar to the Crunch, right down to the David Leatherman-ness.

Good job Silverline, you picked up on that particular detail, maybe there's some hope for you after all!

Just like the outside of the tools, the Silverline head is much more polished than the Crunch's and just as robust.  I don't imagine it would be any weaker, or that either is likely to break under whatever strain I could put on them with my bare hands.

Although similar, you will note the nub where the lower handle attaches to the lower jaw is deeper and narrower on the Silverline (below) than the one on the Crunch.  This makes it a bit more difficult to lock the handle in, but seems to also offer a bit more resistance to letting the handle back out.  As I have had a few times where the handle inconveniently popped out of position on the Crunch, I think I might actually prefer the Silverline on this one- but then, the Silverline is a lot harder to open one handed, which is probably something I do more often than the occasional Crunch handle pop out.  I'm kind of torn, but as far as I'm concerned, the Crunch retains the title on this one.

Inside the mechanisms are so similar you probably couldn't tell them apart if it weren't for the Crunch's date code.  Not bad looking for a 17 year old tool, huh?   :pok:

Likewise for the end of the tool- the bit driver is pretty much identical on both, and again, it is hard to tell them apart.

There is a difference in the screws however- you can see the much more aggressive knurling on the Leatherman screw (Top) and the more robust threads.  Again, I am certain that the smaller, thinner threads on the Silverline are probably well beyond what I'm capable of using the tool for, but there's a feeling of confidence you get from something that is built as solid as the Crunch's, even if it is only somethign you would notice when you put the two of them side by side.

Inside the handles the tool loadout is very similar- one could say identical, but then one would be wrong.   :ahhh  But not that wrong as they are close.

In the Pointless Tool Department, the folding lanyard ring (which is a complete waste of time in my mind) is on the outside on the Silverline (left) and in the second position after the file on the Crunch.  Basically the file and folding lanyard rings are switched in position, but as the lanyard ring is so slim, it pretty much doesn't matter.

Speaking of files, they are remarkably similar, and it is very difficult to tell them apart, except for the Leatherman stamp on the Crunch, because that would be just silly to have on the Silverline.

As with most cheapos, the Phillips Driver is where the Silverline (Top) really lets you down.  Not only is it kind of flimsy compared to the solid one found on the Crunch, it is also awkward to get out, while the Crunch's Phillips driver tends to stick up for easy access.  I will say that the Silverline Phillips driver is significantly better than the ones found on most cheapos and knockoffs though- it's just not as good as the Crunch's.

Not surprisingly, the flat head screwdriver and the other flat head screwdriver with integrated bottle opener on both are pretty similar, because, let's face it, a flat hunk of metal is pretty hard to screw up.

Which brings us to the last tool, the blade.  The blades on both are serrated sheepsfoot type blades and are very similar indeed.

The Crunch's serrations are a bit more rounded while the Silverline has a much more aggressive version of the same pattern.  As my Crunch was used when I bought it, and used quite a lot since then, I can't honestly say if the serrations were always that rounded or if time makes fools of us all, but I will say that I prefer the less aggressive serration pattern as it cuts almost as well, but doesn't hang up as much as the more aggressive ones.

In the end the Silverline is a very good copy of the original, and for the price (usually around $20 I think) it does make an excellent substitute.  However, given the choice, I would stick with the genuine article, even for more money because the Leatherman feels more robust and less fiddly.  It also snaps together more securely and doesn't seem to pop open as much as the Silverline does.  The Silverline seems to suffer from handles that don't lock together as well and a slightly stronger spring in the head, which means it will almost always be open in the sheath or in your pocket.

The things that the Crunch does better are not necessarily things that can be quantified.  Yes, the blade is better, the Phillips is better, the general way it fits together both open and closed is better, but the overall feeling of it just beats the Silverline every which way- except on price.  Expect to buy three Silverlines for the cost of one Crunch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Attack of the Clone
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:59:51 AM
I have never seen one of these :o Thanks for the side by side comparison and love all the pics :cheers: :like:

Where can these be bought at?  I would almost be tempted to get a couple of them to keep in cars for that price :ahhh :D :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 05:44:36 AM
That's a cool knock off.  And I'll ask too where do I get one of those from???
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:23 AM
Shame on them!  :twak:
agreed!  :rant: it's disgusting the state of things and rip offs and what not. It's pathetic.

But I do have to say Grant, that was a great write up as always. Very thorough indeed. Thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:59 PM
Well, the clone in the pics is going to be up for sale in the MTO Store shortly- I was taking pics of it to post there before I listed it for sale! 

Beyond that, I don't know where they came from but I'd be happy to try and track down a supplier if there is this much interest.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:14:54 PM
I just looked up Silverline's site and it seems they aren't offering them anymore, but my guess is they were buying the knockoffs from a supplier in Asia somewhere.

Def

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:22:42 PM
Well, the clone in the pics is going to be up for sale in the MTO Store shortly

Def

Boss, that is a major disappointment if you fully intended to sell knockoffs. It is one thing being ignorant of the fakes offered for sale, it is disgusting to knowingly sell and promote fakes. Do not stoop to that level, boss.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 01:35:38 PM

Def

Boss, that is a major disappointment if you fully intended to sell knockoffs. It is one thing being ignorant of the fakes offered for sale, it is disgusting to knowingly sell and promote fakes. Do not stoop to that level, boss.
I thought LM discontinued the crunch?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:38:23 PM

Def

That would almost be like telling him not to sell Gerber MPT cause it is a PST knockoff or the LM OHT cause it is a Gerber knockoff :pok: I don't love that the Asian market does this either but even the big boys sell knock offs but that doesn't make it any different and we buy those ::)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:38:04 PM
Personally, when it is a contentious issue I mostly prefer to confine my opinions about right/wrong or ethics to my actions, and let others choose what they will or won't do. 

There is much less conflict that way, and I don't have to defend or attack mine or anyone else's behaviour or ethics.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:42:44 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 04:50:40 PM

Def

I have always been more interested in tools that work rather than what is printed on them.  I really don't much care for copies myself, but if they are good then they are good.

I was planning to list this one in the store largely because I had it and I thought it would help fill up the store some.  I have been listing quite a few things in the store from my collection, and this is just another item.

As for regularly carrying knockoffs, copies etc, I really have no interest in doing that.  In this instance, it was something people were genuinely interested in and it seemed like a good idea for a fledgling retail outlet to attempt to provide something their customers wanted.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Def

I have always been more interested in tools that work rather than what is printed on them.  I really don't much care for copies myself, but if they are good then they are good.

I was planning to list this one in the store largely because I had it and I thought it would help fill up the store some.  I have been listing quite a few things in the store from my collection, and this is just another item.

As for regularly carrying knockoffs, copies etc, I really have no interest in doing that.  In this instance, it was something people were genuinely interested in and it seemed like a good idea for a fledgling retail outlet to attempt to provide something their customers wanted.

Def

never thought otherwise, boss

I became interested in that version of the Crunch some time ago, maybe it's the time to give it a try  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 12:28:27 AM

Def

That would almost be like telling him not to sell Gerber MPT cause it is a PST knockoff or the LM OHT cause it is a Gerber knockoff :pok: I don't love that the Asian market does this either but even the big boys sell knock offs but that doesn't make it any different and we buy those ::)

Just like blade shapes, there can only be so many styles. There were, are, and will always be manufacturers producing things that look or function similar to another's. LM OHT offers different features from Gerber, besides the sliding pliers. I also think OHT is gearing toward more general audiences, who are willing to sacrifice longer tools for more functions. LM took Gerber idea and come up with their own version.

In this Silverline case, that is 99% copied from Leatherman Crunch, plain and simple. Those people just blatantly steal others' works. If Silverline is so good, why not design their own tools, with the Crunch's "inspiration"?

I was under impression that Grant thought of being distributor of such products. It is not my intention to attack anyone. There are people who seek out fakes to buy. More power to them. I just think it is wrong to support those bad business practice by promoting them.

Just my opinion.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 04:42:03 AM
I'm pretty bummed to hear they are out of production, I was thinking of grabbing one. The Crunch is too rich for my blood
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 12:21:21 PM
They probably aren't out of production.  I'm sure there's a factory somewhere ready to crank out a few thousand of them at a moment's notice.  I think Silverline has just stopped buying them.

Def

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 04:21:49 PM
Yea, I scoured through Alibaba for a while but could not find it there. A few years ago I found a site that had a bunch of Leatherman look alikes, but I don't remember what it was (maybe it WAS Alibaba, they just don't carry them any more). They had a bunch though: copies of OG Wave, Juice, PST, SuperTool are the ones I remember

Alibaba seem really shady, though. I'm leery about putting in CC info and addresses on places like that. Anybody ever use them?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 10:07:21 PM
I bought some Silverline Crunch knock-offs from Amazon.co.uk    But that was back in 2013, it is currently listed as unavailable ( they probably aren't allowed to sell "sharp tools" on-line any more)  :(

These sites have it listed as available, but I'd check before ordering as most places list it as "discontinued":

http://www.toolsanddiy.co.uk/hand-tools/knives/internal-circlip-pliers-5922.html

http://www.twinternational.com/acatalog/Knives_and_Multi_Tools.html

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 01:56:33 AM
Ok, we will see what happens. I ended up ordering through TW International Limited. $20 and change to get it shipped across the pond, not too shabby - assuming the tool actually shows up :D I am excited! Two new multitools on order at the same time!!! I hope my kids weren't planning to go to trade school or college ;)

Just kidding, they know they will be paying for higher education through grants, loans, scholarships, or the military. We practically worked it into their lullabys :rofl:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 03:17:10 AM
At $20 shipped from the UK,  I think I'll get one of these suckers soon.   I can't justify roughly a hundred bucks for a Crunch.  If this tool's layout proves good enough--I guess I'll get a Crunch later on.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 03:59:48 AM
There is no doubt in your mind that the Crunch is a better tool every which way you look at it.  At its best, this copylon has a few parts that are similar to the Crunch, but in most ways the Crunch is far superior.

But is the Crunch worth three to five times as much?  I can't say for everyone else, but I can say that I'd take the Crunch every day of the week over the Silverline.

Def

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 04:57:09 AM

I thought LM discontinued the crunch?

Still on Leathermans website and elsewhere.
R

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 02:22:27 PM
I would hate to see the Crunch discontinued without a Crunch 2.0 to replace it. 

Def

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 03:17:18 PM
Pretty sure most stores just aren't stocking the Crunch as regular shelf items. They don't seem to sell very well (for whatever reason). A lot of places I see show it as special order now.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 03:37:35 PM
It is a more specialized tool and with a price higher than the Wave I think people would see them on a shelf together and take the Wave at least 8 times out of 10 :think: If you are willing to order it then most of the time you are willing to pay the difference for it :D Just my 2 pence on the matter :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
I would hate to see the Crunch discontinued without a Crunch 2.0 to replace it. 

Def

I've never even touched a Crunch, but I can say that it needs to exist, since it's the only good locking pliers multitool in production (that I can think of). Gerber had thier sliding head version that seemed very obviously inferior to the Crunch. The old Kershaw A100 seemed good, but didn't really fold up. A Crunch 2.0? Now my imagination is starting to run. Seeing as you have experience with a lot of tools, and specifically the Crunch, what improvements would you make?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 10:01:52 PM
Honestly there are few changes that I personally would make, but in the past folks here have talked about Wave style OH blades, and the replaceable cutters could also be a possibility.

They could also do a Super Crunch, that would be more Super Tool or Surge sized.

The OH blades on the outside would allow you to retain the internal space for other functions- I'd keep the ones that are in there already (except the blade, since a blade and file would be outside) and replace it with seperately bottle and can openers (since I hate the cap puncturing tool Leatherman usually uses) and/ or maybe a time shank adaptor like on the Surge.

Honestly, this is what frustrates me so much about Leatherman these days.  There's so much they could be doing to tweak existing tools and we'd love to have them, we've given them all of these ideas, and what do they do? 

They break their tools in half and try to sell us the pieces.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 11:35:53 PM
Lol, agreed

I too was thinking a SuperCrunch with outside knife and adapter would be sweet.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:42 PM
I would never suggest a bit adaptor be put on any Leatherman model because they would put those detestable flat bits in it and a flat bit driver.  I was deliberately not mentioning the bit driver because it is currently good on the Crunch and I wouldn't want them to mess it up because we drew attention to it.   :facepalm:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 12:00:46 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention- I don't know if this is good or bad, at least with regards to the quality of the Silverline.... but....

I have a custom made Kydex sheath for my Crunch, made by Eric at On Scene Tactical, who was at one time the Godfather of Kydex rigs.  The Crunch fits in in securely and snaps in and out with a serious pop.  At no point does it feel like it may fall out until you want it to, which is understandable since it was made by a very skilled maker, specifically for the Crunch.

The Silverline looks to be "close enough" that I figured it would snap in and out too.

Well, let me tell you, that was a very, very bad idea.   :facepalm:

The Silverline went in with a fair bit more resistance, which is something I should have paid attention to since once it was in it really didn't want to come back out.  I'm serious.  I had paracord tied around it and the sheath for leverage and was holding one end in my teeth and pulling with both hands.  I had one end under my feet and was using my back, shoulders and arms to pull.  I wedged a SAK screwdriver into the folds to try and pull it apart a bit while I yanked and pulled and twisted and tried virtually everything to get that idiotic Silverine out of my nice Crunch sheath.  I even contemplated adding some of Uncle Def's Premium Multitool Oil, or tossing the whole thing in the oven to soften the Kydex, risking that it would never be as good again.

In the end I finally managed to get it out, but that is probably 25 minutes of my life I will never get back again.

Admittedly, this is a problem that only someone with a Kydex Crunch sheath will ever have, and I believe that are only a handful of them in theworld, so it proably isn't a huge deal, but it does illustrate that while they look very similar, there is obviously some major differences between them.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%